JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jessieh (Offline)
New to JF

1st time to Japan and need advice!!! - 02-13-2009, 04:00 PM

I plan to travel to Japan from 28/3 to 5/4/2009 and also to view the Sakura Blossom. Appreciate if anyone give me advice for the followings:-

a) Is that enough time for me to cover Kyoto, narita, mt fuji, hakone, tokyo and nara ans kobe?
b) should I go to Tokyo airport first and return from osaka airport or vice verse?
c) any budget or cheaper and convenient accommodation can be introduced? (9000yen or below for twin/double bedroom)
d) any budget ground tour can be introduced?

Thanks

Jess
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ffbittencourt (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to ffbittencourt Send a message via Skype™ to ffbittencourt
02-13-2009, 08:03 PM

Hi there, Jess.

I'll probably be arriving by Kyoto around the start of april too. It'll be my first time there too, but I'll be staying for two years.

For acommodation, I'd try hostells, most of them have some separate rooms, and they're very inexpensive.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieh View Post
I plan to travel to Japan from 28/3 to 5/4/2009 and also to view the Sakura Blossom. Appreciate if anyone give me advice for the followings:-

a) Is that enough time for me to cover Kyoto, narita, mt fuji, hakone, tokyo and nara ans kobe?
b) should I go to Tokyo airport first and return from osaka airport or vice verse?
c) any budget or cheaper and convenient accommodation can be introduced? (9000yen or below for twin/double bedroom)
d) any budget ground tour can be introduced?

Thanks

Jess
You'll cover Narita at the airport because that is all that is there. You are staying a week? I would pick 2 or 3 of those places you want to go, or else you are going to be spending your entire vacation in a train.

Ask your travel agent...it will cost more to leave from a different airport than you arrived, but it isn't a bad idea. Hostels are fine, but there are tons of hotels for under 9000 a night in any of those cities.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jessieh (Offline)
New to JF

02-14-2009, 08:52 AM

Thanks for your reply. The price for the flight ticket would be the same for both way, but now I'm not sure whether to start from Tokyo 1st or Osaka 1st, and also concerning of which way is cheaper? Currently, I have booked flight to Tokyo airport and back from Osaka airport. I read from a few travel agents' itineraries and it seems like most of them are starting from osaka airport and ending in Tokyo airport. Therefore, I'm thinking of whether to change my flight to Tokyo and back from Osaka. Please help and advice.

For accommodation, I would prefer if there is one private bathroom in room and convenient location, is there any offered at below 9000yen??

Thanks!!!

Jess
(#5 (permalink))
Old
tokyo12345 (Offline)
New to JF

02-14-2009, 08:53 AM

Yeah, you only have a week, this is too many places I think.

I was all "Tokyo is great!" before but now that I've actually been there, I'll say that you can definitely miss it, unless your main focus in Japan is shopping.

If you do want to spend a couple days shopping, then maybe visit Tokyo for a couple of days, then Fuji and Hakone.

Otherwise Osaka-Kyoto-Kobe area should be more than enough to keep you occupied. A week will go FAST. And even if you see all these places and want to go to Nara, its not too far away. Tokyo is a waste of time when you could be seeing all these places.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-14-2009, 06:43 PM

Many people feel like they haven't been to "Japan" unless they have been to Tokyo. Tokyo is more than shopping (and actually you will find the same things at maybe cheaper prices in Osaka) but it is a huge metropolis, with plenty to do...but it is only one part of Japan.

If I had a week, I would do Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto for sure. All are within an hour of each other and show three distinct sides of Japan, from the metro to the cosmopolitan to the traditional.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-14-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieh View Post
Thanks for your reply. The price for the flight ticket would be the same for both way, but now I'm not sure whether to start from Tokyo 1st or Osaka 1st, and also concerning of which way is cheaper?
I don't think it makes a difference either way but if you're coming from a small town, a sudden arrival in Tokyo - especially during rush hour may overwhelm you. If that's the case, perhaps Osaka might be a better place to start.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
uktokyoite (Offline)
JF Regular

02-16-2009, 05:46 AM

Or if you want to be near Tokyo for a time you could stay in Yokohama - its only 30 minutes away from Tokyo on the Minato Mirai Line (express) - but there's a lot more space and it's not quite as crazy!

Check my Website: TokyoTopia
(#9 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-16-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uktokyoite View Post
Or if you want to be near Tokyo for a time you could stay in Yokohama - its only 30 minutes away from Tokyo on the Minato Mirai Line (express) - but there's a lot more space and it's not quite as crazy!
Second the suggestion for Yokohama... if time is limited, I will definitely skip tokyo and go to Yokohama instead.. but thent hats just me
(#10 (permalink))
Old
jessieh (Offline)
New to JF

02-16-2009, 04:20 PM

Thanks for all your replies.

which direction is easier and more convenient for travelling and planning? are transportations available for both directions are the same? How far is the osaka airport to the osaka city? is there any free shuttle bus available from Osaka and Tokyo airport?
Now I'm considering of go to Osaka 1st and back from Tokyo since the return flight's departure time is in the afternoon, where else return flight from Osaka is in the morning. However, the final decision will be based on the above answers. So please help!!!

Actually shopping is also one of my purposes. Me and my mum are more into scenery, relax, a bit nice buildings and temples, also mainly enjoy sakura blossom views. That's why we choose end of Mar and beginning of Apr.

Since this is my 1st trip to Japan, Tokyo is definitely cannot be skipped. But I have decided to drop Narita and Hakone, and Mt Fuji can be viewed if I take Bullet Train right? Is it possible and enough if just to make a day tour for Yokohama? Anything interesting in Yokohama?
How about 'Miyajima' and 'Nara'? is it worth to visit?

I saw a few local tour agents offer plan packages included transportation and accommodation. Is it worth to join? or it's cheaper if arrange myself? How about "The Shinkansen Tour" offered by 'Japanican'?

Thanks

Jess