JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Dan0512 (Offline)
New to JF

1st timer needs advice - 02-21-2009, 06:05 PM

Hey guys, I'm currently on my last semester of highschool, and I'm planning to go visit Japan alone once I have my diploma and my vacations. I live in Switzerland by the way.

I've been told that it's a better idea to visit Japan either during spring, or autumn, basically because the weather is most convenient. Sadly, I practically don't have any vacations during those seasons, so that leaves me only with summer for a choice. How's the weather during summer? I've spent vacations during summer in many places (including Florida), and the temperature or humidity really doesn't bother me much. Do you think summer limits the experience a lot?

Apart from the time frame, I also don't have much an idea of my itinerary. The basic guidelines that I've come up now is that I'm probably going to be spending around 3 Weeks in Japan (likely from 17.6 - 8.7) - 10 days in "Tokyo", and then 10 days in "Osaka". I've written the cities in quotation marks, because I know that there are also a lot of places in the vicinities of both cities that are worth visiting as well. Which ones would you suggest? I already know what I'd be visiting inside the cities, but I wouldn't know what to do outside them.

One thing that's clear to me though is that my stay will be limited to hostels due to my budget. I'm sure that's not going to be a problem since I've spent many vacations in hostels as well, though only in Europe.

Is there anything else I should be especially aware of (as a young student)?

Advice is much appreciated!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2009, 08:09 PM

I think splitting the two like that is a good idea. I have never stayed in a hostel, so I don't know the hostel culture, but there are a LOT of threads covering your very question in this section. I think if have a specific question you;ll get specific answers.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2009, 02:49 AM

I know it's kind of a "crap out" but get the book Japan from the Lonely Planet series... it's an insanely comprehensive book with accommodations, sights, and highlights (including festivals), all the while explaining how to get to and from.

Hostels in Japan are probably better than Hostels in Europe- considering the Japanese are masters of little-tiny dorm rooms.

I suggest Sakura Hostel in Asakusa... it's in a great little area within a 2 minute walking distance of Senso-ji temple. It's cheap, has internet, and the staff speaks English and are around 24/7.

Indeed there are tons of threads on the subject of where to go... it depends on what you enjoy, but there are a few given:

Himeji Castle
Nara (And the Daibutsu)
Miyajima

etc. etc.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Thuglife (Offline)
JF Regular

02-22-2009, 03:23 AM

Stop trying to figure it all out in advance on the advice of strangers. I have and still love Hawaii and Japan and it's not because i asked strangers anything ever.

Life is outside waiting for you. Open the door and just go.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

02-22-2009, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuglife View Post
Stop trying to figure it all out in advance on the advice of strangers. I have and still love Hawaii and Japan and it's not because i asked strangers anything ever.

Life is outside waiting for you. Open the door and just go.
Isn't taking that advice also the advice of strangers, and by its own logic be put aside?

Just an idle thought.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

02-22-2009, 06:15 AM

Perhaps the most valuable piece advice of all:
Have a good time, but try not to come off as an arrogant 外人 (gaijin).
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sanchome (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2009, 06:33 AM

Some parts of Japan - even Tokyo - are really humid and quite hot during the summer. Prepare to sweat!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2009, 07:05 AM

Oh yeah the heat! When I went there it was the summer and I was not prepared for that island humidity... be prepared to sweat is right because it's a giant sauna.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Dan0512 (Offline)
New to JF

02-23-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think splitting the two like that is a good idea. I have never stayed in a hostel, so I don't know the hostel culture, but there are a LOT of threads covering your very question in this section. I think if have a specific question you;ll get specific answers.
Ok, I'll take a good look around. If you happen to have any direct links to those, I'd appreciate if you could post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchrome
Some parts of Japan - even Tokyo - are really humid and quite hot during the summer. Prepare to sweat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu
Oh yeah the heat! When I went there it was the summer and I was not prepared for that island humidity... be prepared to sweat is right because it's a giant sauna.
I'm always prepared to sweat during vacations, especially during summer. But I assume the conditions are nothing out of this world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu
I know it's kind of a "crap out" but get the book Japan from the Lonely Planet series... it's an insanely comprehensive book with accommodations, sights, and highlights (including festivals), all the while explaining how to get to and from.

Hostels in Japan are probably better than Hostels in Europe- considering the Japanese are masters of little-tiny dorm rooms.

I suggest Sakura Hostel in Asakusa... it's in a great little area within a 2 minute walking distance of Senso-ji temple. It's cheap, has internet, and the staff speaks English and are around 24/7.

Indeed there are tons of threads on the subject of where to go... it depends on what you enjoy, but there are a few given:

Himeji Castle
Nara (And the Daibutsu)
Miyajima

etc. etc.
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll take a closer look at them .
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Raisthlin (Offline)
JF Regular

02-24-2009, 12:51 AM

This is my opinion only and some might disagree but 10 days in Osaka or any other cities is WAY too much on a 3 week itinerary. Unless our budget is so EXTREMELY tight that you cant afford transportation i say you should get out of Osaka after 3-4 days. 5 max if you really want to use it as a hub for day trips but you can also get accomodations elsewhere.

From my point of view your aiming for a backpacking trip so you should make one. Dont get lazy, dont stay for too long at same places. I would say 4 days max for the big 3 (Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo) and 2 days for the others(Matsumoto, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, etc...) and do some stuff in between those while your on your way from point A to B.(Nara, Nikko, Himeji, Koya-san, etc...) Move move move and make the most out of your time. If you plan well. 3 weeks in japan can be extremely worth it since transportation there is FABULOUS. Trains, bus, subways taking you from point A to Z.

Quote:
Japan's rainy season lasts about 40 days during the months of June and July. Also, August to October is the typhoon season in Japan. It's important to check the weather often during the typhoon season. Japan Information Network indicates that Japan has an unusually high amount of rainfall, averaging 1,700-1,800 millimeters per year.
climate in japan - weather in japan

So to make it simple: bring an umbrella...well actually dont...just buy one in one at one of the 1 000 000 000 000 convenience store in Japan.

I agree with burkhartdesu. You need to buy yourself a lonely planet. Even tho the ammount of information in there can be quite intimidating it is still a bible and worth its weight in gold and will probably answer 95% of your questions regarding itinerary and other stuff as well.

if you ahave more questions be specific

Have fun.

EDIT: climate wise...the conditions wont be out of this world, even tho it will be hot and humid but you will also get a lots of rainfall which can sometimes ruins your day. I want in April-May and got maybe 4-5 days of non-stop rain which almost ruined my day at some BIG sights like Nikko, Yamadera and others.

Last edited by Raisthlin : 02-24-2009 at 12:55 AM.