JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

Send a message via AIM to Nemhy Send a message via MSN to Nemhy
Thumbs down a stupid question :x - 02-23-2009, 07:38 AM

Hello JF! I dropped out of HS last year and working on getting a GED (probably gonna take the test this summer) afterwards i'm gonna go to community college for...I don't know yet :x Prob gonna explore the computer field. (and finally take a legit japanese class)

NOW....after say a few years of Community would it be possible to study abroad in Japan? also off the top of your head give me a price range (room, board, and plane all included) or does the fact I dropped out ruin that oppertunity? :x

PSN: Nemhy
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

02-23-2009, 07:47 AM

Depends on what you want to study. If it's just studying Japanese in Japan, you could go through JASSO, they support oversea student coming to Japan to study short term Japanese courses held in Japan. You'll have to find their fees on the website (Google).

If you want to get a degree or a certification in Japan, then you need to be close to fluent Japanese or JLPT Level 1 equiv to study in Japan. An options not really recommended.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

02-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
Depends on what you want to study. If it's just studying Japanese in Japan, you could go through JASSO, they support oversea student coming to Japan to study short term Japanese courses held in Japan. You'll have to find their fees on the website (Google).

If you want to get a degree or a certification in Japan, then you need to be close to fluent Japanese or JLPT Level 1 equiv to study in Japan. An options not really recommended.
Well I plan to take like 2-4 years of Japanese during CC. Could I take japanese AND work on a degree abroad? or would it be better to get a degree in america and just study Japanese abroad?

(#4 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

02-23-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemhy View Post
Well I plan to take like 2-4 years of Japanese during CC. Could I take japanese AND work on a degree abroad? or would it be better to get a degree in america and just study Japanese abroad?
Latter would be much better as getting a degree in Japan requires you to be fluent in Japanese. Even if you study 24/7, it will be at least 2-3 years before you can even start university.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

Smile 02-23-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
Latter would be much better as getting a degree in Japan requires you to be fluent in Japanese. Even if you study 24/7, it will be at least 2-3 years before you can even start university.
I see, thank you very much for the help! =)

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-23-2009, 11:36 AM

Or, you could consider a more realistic route. Take an intensive Japanese course in Japan to manage the JLPT (A few universities will let you in with JLPT2 instead of one if you`re going to also be taking Japanese classes at the university), and then enroll in a Japanese university.
Having JLPT1 definitely puts you at an advantage, and opens up the doors to universities that do not have a strong foreign student program - but for someone who wants to study Japanese in Japan it isn`t always necessary.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

02-23-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Or, you could consider a more realistic route. Take an intensive Japanese course in Japan to manage the JLPT (A few universities will let you in with JLPT2 instead of one if you`re going to also be taking Japanese classes at the university), and then enroll in a Japanese university.
Having JLPT1 definitely puts you at an advantage, and opens up the doors to universities that do not have a strong foreign student program - but for someone who wants to study Japanese in Japan it isn`t always necessary.
What IS JLPT? Some kinda test?

(#8 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-23-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemhy View Post
What IS JLPT? Some kinda test?
Yes, it's the Japanese Language Proficiency Test.

It basically just says you can speak Japanese. Colleges look at it. As do some business.

猿も木から落ちる
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ChibiSeme (Offline)
みなの受

Send a message via AIM to ChibiSeme Send a message via MSN to ChibiSeme
02-23-2009, 10:43 PM

If you get bachelors degree in Japanese, some companies will house you in Japan if you do assistant teaching for a job...but some companies are hard to get into...
They pay well and some offer apartments...like GEOS.