JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
smbx33 (Offline)
90's ジングル

Babershops In Japan - 10-20-2009, 06:40 AM

So I'm making plans on visiting Japan.
I dunno where I'm going yet as my plans are still in the primary stages.
How I look is kinda important to me and I like to look clean and shaven whenever I can. Thing is I'm a very hairy guy, with Curly hair.

My question is...are there barbershops in Japan (in general) where they can give me a close shave and maybe a shape-up??

I better off getting rid of my hair before I get there

Here is a picture:

I'm sorry if this is not the right section!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-20-2009, 07:50 AM

Any barbershop in Japan can shave your head. I usually like to get my haircut in Japan because for the price they do a very thorough job.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
smbx33 (Offline)
90's ジングル

10-20-2009, 08:44 AM

I want to try to avoid, cutting it off since I really don't look right bald :P

I was thinking maybe going to the barbershop right when the hair starts to grow so they could just trace the old shape up.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-20-2009, 09:14 AM

Not everyone Japanese has straight identical hair. There are people with curly hair - just fewer than you would find outside of Japan. I know someone with a very tight natural curl...
And even people who don`t have natural curls do get curled perms, etc... So you really should not have any trouble finding somewhere to cut your hair properly.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

10-20-2009, 09:40 AM

I found a great Barber Shop accross the road from the Kyoto immigration next door a small post office.

The husband and wife owners live upstairs.

The hubbie used to cut my hair and did a fantastic job. No, I didn't have a shave.

However, I'm not sure if barber shops in Japan offer "extra" services as I believe they do in Korea

If you want your scon shaved, as MMM said, I'm sure they will accommodate without a hitch.

Cheers - Oz
(#6 (permalink))
Old
smbx33 (Offline)
90's ジングル

10-20-2009, 09:51 AM

Thanks guys I will go to Japan with a full head of hair thanks for the advice!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-20-2009, 11:14 AM

I usually go to QB House, which is a barber shop chain with many stores in metro Tokyo. They can be found near (or in) larger train stations and shopping centers. They charge only 1000 yen for a hair cut, and in my experience, they do a better job than the much more expensive, high-end salons.

At QB House you simply put a 1000 yen note into a machine, which then gives you a ticket. You present the ticket to the barber when your turn comes up. The machine doesn't make change, so make sure you have a 1000 yen note before you go in.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

10-21-2009, 03:04 AM

When I went to Takayama town there was a whole little street full of barber shops. It was funny to see so many lined up. It is quite popular for Japanese people to get their hair curled.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-21-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
I usually go to QB House, which is a barber shop chain with many stores in metro Tokyo. They can be found near (or in) larger train stations and shopping centers. They charge only 1000 yen for a hair cut, and in my experience, they do a better job than the much more expensive, high-end salons.

At QB House you simply put a 1000 yen note into a machine, which then gives you a ticket. You present the ticket to the barber when your turn comes up. The machine doesn't make change, so make sure you have a 1000 yen note before you go in.
I agree 100%. My last trip to Japan I went to QB House twice in three weeks. I didn't need the second haircut, but at 1000 yen for that level of quality and service I couldn't resist.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-21-2009, 07:43 AM

For guys with average hair, QB House is apparently great. My husband has very very thick hair, and they never manage to do a decent cut in the short amount of time you`re allotted there - in his case even if it`s a trim. It`s a set 10 minute cut, so if you typically take more than 10 minutes to get to a decent cut... You may be out of luck.
They`re great for frequent trims or minor corrections, but there is no way I could imagine using them as a main barber.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.