JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
luce (Offline)
New to JF

02-28-2010, 10:18 PM

Aw thanks for your answers! I understand there is still a lot to view, 3 weeks are not enough! LOL

At the very beginning we thought to do the following:

5 nights in Tokyo
1 night in Takayama
6 nights in Kyoto
6 nights in Fukuoka
2 nights in Tokyo.

But 6 days in Fukuoka are a bit too much and we could do something else instead. We mainly decided to do so not to bring our luggage around, check in and check out. We thought we could move around by public transport and then go back to the hotel for the night.

I understand we might miss so many stuff though that might worth a visit.

I'd love to stay in Miyajima and in Mount Koya for one night, so we may go to Miyajima on our way to Fukuoka and to Koya on our way back to Tokyo? What do you think? Should we sleep 5 nights in Kyoto instead of 6? And then 1 in Miyajima?

We just don't want to rush from one place to another.

About the Onsen...
I can't wait to try it! In Beppu, I found this nice hotel Suginoi Hotel, Beppu, Kyushu (if link is not appropriate, moderator you are free to remove it or let me know and I'll remove it), just not sure whether I have to pay if I want to use the family one. The main 'problem' is that my husband is quite shy...

I don't know why I mentioned Akasaka. In fact, we might avoid it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhailhata View Post
"Tokyo day 3 Shinjuku + Shibuya" + Ghibli museum in Mitaka is the best choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
you could fit in the Museum on the last day with Odaiba. From there you can walk through a nice park (inokashirakoen) towards Kichijoji wich is where lots of locals go to hang out or for shopping.
Both options sound feasible to me, thanks. We need to decide when to go now and buy those tickets. There are so many things we need to do before landing in Japan!

Quote:
When going to Beppu stay in a traditional Ryokan and take the Bus to the Hells, its really worth it (go to the ones the tourist information recommends, the other are not so good).
We are definitively going to the Hells.

Quote:
What is your plan for Nagasaki? I have been there a day but theres not to much to do.
Just 1 day visit. We heard Nagasaki is better than Hiroshima? Is that true?

Quote:
If you want to do something a bit crazy you could jump over to Korea with the ferry (3h one way) for a day or 2. The ferry goes from Fukuoka to Busan and the visa is no problem.
I'd love to do it, alas, it doesn't appeal my husband... oh well!

Quote:
Otherwise the nightview from the mountains around Kobe is really nice, so you could spend a day around Osaka and have dinner in the Kobe Harbour Area, than drive up with the cable car to see the nightview of Kobe and Osaka (japanese say it a million dollar view).
Quote:
Originally Posted by allhailhata View Post
On the way back to Tokyo,I recommend Kobe,Osaka,Kouyasan and Fuji.
We definitely are not going to sleep in Osaka so what about visiting Kobe and go to Mount Koya for the night? Would it be possible?

All,
Thanks a mil for your advises, answers, suggestions, everything! And a big thanks for the time you spent answering my questions. Japan is such a wonderful country full of history and I can't wait to be there!!!
xxx

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Nikko is all about the hot springs and relaxing at the hotel (or ryokan) with a traditional meal.
That sounds lovely but I don't think we'll sleep in Nikko, we might go there for 1 day only.

Last edited by luce : 02-28-2010 at 10:25 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

03-01-2010, 04:42 AM

I suggest itinerary after Kyoto. This itinerary is including links.please check.
Plan1
15 Kyoto
16 Kyoto City sightseeing
17 Fushimi Inari Shrine + Nara 1 day tour
18 Kyoto City sightseeing
19 Himeji 1 day tour and Kyoto City sightseeing
20 Hiroshima+Miyajima
Miyajima, an Island where People and Gods Live Together
http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~miyayado/english.html
21 Fukuoka
22 Beppu 1 day tour
23 Nagasaki 1 day tour
24 Osaka.
25 Kobe One day tour (Trains from Kobe to Osaka are running frequently.you can enjoy Kobe night)
26 Mt Koya One day tour
Official website of K
http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~koyasan/indexe.html
Koya-cho Lodging: Read Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor
27 Tokyo check in
28 Tokyo City sightseeing
29 back home
I know you definitely are not going to sleep in Osaka(I wonder why). But staying in Osaka is efficient for both of one day tour and going back to Tokyo.According to this plan,you don't need to repeat check in and check out.

Plan2
15~23 same as plan1
24 kobe
25 Kobe
26 Mt Koya
27 Tokyo check in
28 Tokyo City sightseeing
29 back home
You don`t need to stay Osaka.

Visiting Kobe and go to Mount Koya for the night is possible.But you will be from Fukuoka.I never recommend.
One day tour from Kobe is OK(Plan3).

About Onsen in Beppu
you can't use onsen in the hotel you referred to without staying night there.
There are municipal management Onsen.
Beppu City Official Web
Beppu Hot Springs
Your husband is so shy? Don't worry.there are also some sand bath in Beppu.
You don't need to be full nude.
And there are some privately‐operated Onsen which have family bath.
ADD NEW LINK
http://www17.ocn.ne.jp/~ftio/
8.Kitahama Hot Spring (Termas)
The open-air bath to go in with a bathing suit!
Holidays : Thursday

Nagasaki
About Nagasaki | Nagasaki City Tourism Guide Amazing Nagasaki
I can't say which city is better.At least, if you are from Netherlands or
interested in history of Christian in Japan,you might enjoy Nagasaki.

Ghibli museum
I recommended Shinjuku + Shibuya + Ghibli museum in Mitaka.Because of their locations.At least,walking from Odaiba to Mitaka is insane.Don't try.
To be honest,I think itinerary in big city like Tokyo is not so important except reserved ticket.You can easily get info there and Public Transportation is good enough.

Last edited by allhailhata : 03-01-2010 at 11:47 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
luce (Offline)
New to JF

03-02-2010, 12:09 PM

Thanks a mil for your suggestion allhailhata!

I checked the prices to sleep in Miyajima but are too expensive, therefore won't stay there for the night.

The hostel in Koyasan is fully booked. Our choice is now between Fukuchi-in (the only one with the onsen) and Shojoshin-in (close to the cemetry).
We can't decide which one is the best. The price is quite the same. Any suggestion?

We don't want to sleep in Osaka because we can get the last train at 23:00 (11pm) to get back to Kyoto.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

03-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luce View Post
Thanks a mil for your suggestion allhailhata!

I checked the prices to sleep in Miyajima but are too expensive, therefore won't stay there for the night.

The hostel in Koyasan is fully booked. Our choice is now between Fukuchi-in (the only one with the onsen) and Shojoshin-in (close to the cemetry).
We can't decide which one is the best. The price is quite the same. Any suggestion?

We don't want to sleep in Osaka because we can get the last train at 23:00 (11pm) to get back to Kyoto.
Instead of Miyajima,you can find inexpensive accommodation in Hiroshima easily in Japan forum.For example,
Hostel Hiroshima Guesthouse | Cheap accommodation for Backpackers or budget traveller in Hiroshima
There is accomodation for backpackers in Miyajima. Backpackers Miyajima (Hatsukaichi, Japan) - Hostel Reviews - TripAdvisorBRAND-NEW hostel "Backpackers Miyajima" is for all budget travelers! Only
Sorry for inappropriate links.I didn't know your budget per night.

If I give only one advice about your original itinerary ,"Himeji + Miyajima 1 day tour" from Kyoto is too hard.

I can't say which is better in Koyasan.Because I have not stayed in both.
But I think distance from the cemetery is not so important.Fukuchi-in is close to Kongoubuji temple,but a little far from the cemetery.Shojoshin-in is opposite.
In addition ,Kouyasan is not so wide and buses are running. I walked from Kongoubuji temple to the cemetery and used bus for return trip last year.
If I choose, Fukuchi-in.Because it is closer to convenience store(maybe only one in Koyasan).
It doesn't mean Fukuchi-in is better as accommodation.

On the way to Fukuoka,you don't need to sleep in Osaka.Because you will stay in Kyoto.
But on the way back to Tokyo,I don't think you must avoid Osaka.

Last edited by allhailhata : 03-03-2010 at 02:38 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
03-03-2010, 04:20 PM

I have been to Nagasaki and Hiroshima and i liked Hiroshima alot better. I have also been to both A-Bomb Museums and the one in Hiroshima is definetly worth it. The Peace park around the A-bomb dome is also very nice and i think you can take a boat trip to Mijayijima from there. I stayed in the J-Hoppers in Hiroshima wich was really nice because of the great staff and the good Location (very close to the Peace park).
If you want to stay at a hotel but it shouldn´t be to expensive than i can recommend Hotel Reservations - Hotel Chain Toyoko Inn . This hotels are nearly everywhere, always to a decent price and easy to book online. Rooms are small but you get everything you need and the Hotel looks the same anywhere you go.

In Beppu you don´t have to stay at a place that is that expensive. I stayed at a place (a ryokan) with my brother that was recommended by the tourist information and we payed 12000 yen with breakfarst, got our own nice room, could reserve the rotemburo (outside onsen) for 1 hour and the staff was nice. The Shower, Toilet was not in the room though but shared.

In Koyasan i would recommend to stay at one of the Buddihst tempels in town. Its your best chance to see a morning prayer and the vegeterian food is really nice. Don´t stay at the cheapest one though, i have been there and it was ok but not nice. The Tourist information in town can help you, its right by the bus stop.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#16 (permalink))
Old
luce (Offline)
New to JF

03-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Hey all!
Thanks a mil for your kind reply. I just checked how far is to get to Koyasan from Fukuoka. It's a long travel, maybe 6 hours or more, so I have to surrend to the evidence and sleep in Osaka the night before.
Kobe would be a nice option too (nicer maybe?), but as Osaka is closer to Koyasan, we might stay there.

I booked Fukuchi-in as accommodation in Koyasan, can't wait to be there!

BTW, do you know if in Osaka Namba station there is a locker for our luggage? The plan is to go up to the mountain with a small backpack for the night and leave everything else there.

I contacted Hyperdia as well, as their website hasn't been updated with April yet, and they replied they'll do it soon. Train schedule is more or less the same, with minor changes.

Thanks again for your time!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

03-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Of course,There is a locker.Check the linked page which is including Train schedule.
Namba - Station Information | Nankai Electric Railway

Nanba is the biggest station in Osaka Minami district.like Shinjuku or Ikebukuro in Tokyo.
I recommend walking around there.

Kobe is better for Honey Moon.As Firebird stated before,famous for Harbour Area
and night view.I recommend strongly one day tour.Roughly 50 minutes train ride from Osaka.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-04-2010, 12:20 PM

sorry poor English

It is a Japanese site, but will understand a rough place and a price and the number.
なんば - コインロッカーサーチ

It is the site of two railroad companies running in the Namba station
Osaka Municipal Transportation Bureau
Namba - Station Information | Nankai Electric Railway
(#19 (permalink))
Old
luce (Offline)
New to JF

03-04-2010, 12:29 PM

Aw thank you, I feel much better now that I know I can leave my luggage there!

No worries for the Japanese site, I can always use google web page translator, it's great!

Now I'm looking for the accommodation... LOL
(#20 (permalink))
Old
allhailhata (Offline)
JF Regular

03-04-2010, 12:36 PM

How about this?
In Osaka.
Osaka Hostel Guesthouse | Cheap hostel in Osaka for Backpackers or budget traveller in Osaka
In Kobe.
Kobe Dears' BackPackers House / hostel Kobe Japan
But I don't know their quality.