JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
alexcheuk (Offline)
New to JF

5 or 10 Days in Tokyo? 6 People. Need advice. - 02-27-2010, 01:56 PM

Hey guys,

my friends and i are planning a 10 day trip to Tokyo. Most of us never been to japan. But we are all asians so we are pretty excited about japanese stuff.

We will only be staying in Tokyo, and we need to decide if we are going to stay for 5 days or 10 days. We are around 22 years old, likes animes, manga, electronics, shopping, FOOD, alot of FOOD .

I would like to ask anyone to post some suggestions for places to go, so we can plan ahead.

examples like, nightmarkets, street food, weird restaurants, ramen, shopping malls, places to shop for weird stuff, cosplays ( Andy fans loves cosplays ), cute stuffs, some Must see sight seeing places.

have done some searching on the webs, but would love to get locals recommendations!.

Any suggestions are appreciated! !!!!!!

if we have enough places to visit, then we will be staying for 10 days.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

02-27-2010, 03:01 PM

I'd spend 10 days in Tokyo. It is a massive place and that'll give you a good chance to explore many, many places.
If you are into manga, go to Electric Town/Akihabara. Odaiba is also a good day, lots to do and see there.
From personal experience, I would avoid Roppongi in the evening, there are plenty of other places to go and have a goodnight out.

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-27-2010, 03:55 PM

As I have advised many times, if you are spending more than 5 days in Japan and are in Tokyo, get out of Tokyo.

I like Tokyo, but it is not all of Japan. 5 days is more than enough to see what you want to see. (Actually 3 probably is).

You capitalized the word "food", and I have to say if you want good food in Tokyo you have to be prepared to pay for it. This is not true in other parts of Japan.

If you want good FOOD! go to Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto. Excellent food at a reasonable price. The food culture in Osaka is very different than Tokyo. It is worth the price for the bullet train. You also have the small but very well done Osamu Tezuka museum in Takarazuka (NW of Osaka)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
As I have advised many times, if you are spending more than 5 days in Japan and are in Tokyo, get out of Tokyo.

I like Tokyo, but it is not all of Japan. 5 days is more than enough to see what you want to see. (Actually 3 probably is).

You capitalized the word "food", and I have to say if you want good food in Tokyo you have to be prepared to pay for it. This is not true in other parts of Japan.

If you want good FOOD! go to Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto. Excellent food at a reasonable price. The food culture in Osaka is very different than Tokyo. It is worth the price for the bullet train. You also have the small but very well done Osamu Tezuka museum in Takarazuka (NW of Osaka)
Second what MMM said, Tokyo is NOT Japan, its only a small part of Japan, it does provide a good representation of "modern Japan", which has its own culture, but very much westernized. For a 10 days itinerary, i would say to spend about 5 days in Tokyo (include Yokohama.. I personally felt that Yokohama is a MUST), 4 days in Osaka/Kyoto (can probably make Kobe a 1/2 day side trip), and maybe find a nice onsen resort to relax for a day.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
StueyT (Offline)
JF Regular

03-01-2010, 02:27 PM

As for Tokyo itself, if you're looking for a hostel I always recommend K's House in Asakusa. Awesome staff, less than a minute away from Kuramae subway station, and very close to all Asakusa sights.

I never saw much of Tokyo itself, but from what I did see...

Avoid Roppongi by all means for a night out.
Best night view of the city I saw was up Tokyo Tower. I tried the free one at the government building but the fact that the lights were on bright just spoilt the scene from the reflections in the windows.
Do not miss Shibuya Crossing at night! It's alot better than Times Square

Enjoy!

広島市は一番!
My Flickr
(#6 (permalink))
Old
alexcheuk (Offline)
New to JF

03-01-2010, 09:08 PM

Thanks for all the tips.

The only problem that is troubling us is the price to get from Tokyo to Kyoto.

Do you guys have any tips on how to save some money for that ?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-01-2010, 10:08 PM

Overnight bus ?

link
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-01-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
Overnight bus ?

link
You not only save money taking the bus, but it also eliminates the need to pay for a hotel room for one night.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Jnekolove19 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Jnekolove19
Recent traveler - 03-02-2010, 02:44 AM

Hey i would recommend the 10 days too. Yeah Tokyo isn't all of Japan but you can still fill up 10 days pretty quick while there. I recommend going Shibuya if you're lookin for a night out. There is a really cool restaurant call the Lockup and i highly recommend eating there. Also while in Japan i recommend making a stop over to Yokohama it isn't that far from Tokyo and isn't hard to get to. I recommend the Tokyu Toyoko line if you're close to it. Tokyo Tower is a must see in my opinion and yeah its a little touristy but OMG it is an awsome sight. Harajuku is great too if your there on sunday i recommend goin and go about 10 or 11ish. While there, there is alot of fun places to shop. I also second the Akihabara suggestion if you like electronics and anime that's a great place to go.

oh yeah i third/or fourth the recommend about avoiding Roppongi. Not much fun in my opinion.

Also yeah i would take the bus to Kyoto and if you get a chance take the train over to Osaka while you're there. the train over only costs about 350 yen i think, oneway.

Hope you have a great trip and if you have any questions just ask :-) also i have a journal type thing about my time in japan if you wanna look at it too.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-02-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnekolove19 View Post
Hey i would recommend the 10 days too. Yeah Tokyo isn't all of Japan but you can still fill up 10 days pretty quick while there. I recommend going Shibuya if you're lookin for a night out. There is a really cool restaurant call the Lockup and i highly recommend eating there. Also while in Japan i recommend making a stop over to Yokohama it isn't that far from Tokyo and isn't hard to get to. I recommend the Tokyu Toyoko line if you're close to it. Tokyo Tower is a must see in my opinion and yeah its a little touristy but OMG it is an awsome sight. Harajuku is great too if your there on sunday i recommend goin and go about 10 or 11ish. While there, there is alot of fun places to shop. I also second the Akihabara suggestion if you like electronics and anime that's a great place to go.

oh yeah i third/or fourth the recommend about avoiding Roppongi. Not much fun in my opinion.

Also yeah i would take the bus to Kyoto and if you get a chance take the train over to Osaka while you're there. the train over only costs about 350 yen i think, oneway.

Hope you have a great trip and if you have any questions just ask :-) also i have a journal type thing about my time in japan if you wanna look at it too.
I appreciate what you are saying, but you have only given a couple days of things to do in Tokyo. I think 10 days in Tokyo is hard to fill up unless you want to go at a snail's pace.