JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
atan64 (Offline)
New to JF

We have a full day for Osaka! - 08-01-2010, 11:50 PM

Hi Guys,

We have a full day set aside for Osaka...anyone have any suggestions on what to see? There are six of us (all adults) and would like to check out and sight see around Osaka. We are staying in Kyoto and will be taking the JR into Osaka in late October this year. One thing we would like to see is the Osaka Castle. We'll be there around 10 am to around 8 pm before we head back to Kyoto.

Cheers and thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2010, 02:22 AM

The castle is a good idea. I went there in late November last year and the autumn leaves were perfect... October might be good too, but I think it might be a little bit early for those post card esque colors. There's a big park there that you can walk around for a while. I remember looking for a place to eat and being dissapointed though! So if you go there make sure you time it so you aren't starving looking for a place to eat right after you're done.

Something that is really iconic is the Guriko sign in downtown Osaka. It's kind of a cool place to get a picture if you have the chance. It's right next to a river... and if I remember correctly there is a don kiyote (I think that was the place...) that has a passageway to a ferris wheel that you can ride, which I think would be quite nice at nighttime (it was out of order when I went though).

If you like Okonomiyaki or Takoyaki you definitely don`t wanna miss out on eating some while you're there. I'm not an expert on the area, so maybe someone else could tell you a good place to eat at (I'm sure a google search might give you a start).

If it rains, you could always go to the aquarium, which is indoors. I had a pretty good time there when I went, but it's one of those things that you can kind of see anywhere if you know what I mean. They had some interesting fish there though!

By the way, sometimes taking a couple of taxi cabs might be cheaper than taking the train. It might help to plan out a route before you go if you're looking to save money and time that way.

What are you interested in? What kind of stuff do you wanna see/don't wanna see? That might help other people help you.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
atan64 (Offline)
New to JF

08-02-2010, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
The castle is a good idea. I went there in late November last year and the autumn leaves were perfect... October might be good too, but I think it might be a little bit early for those post card esque colors. There's a big park there that you can walk around for a while. I remember looking for a place to eat and being dissapointed though! So if you go there make sure you time it so you aren't starving looking for a place to eat right after you're done.

Something that is really iconic is the Guriko sign in downtown Osaka. It's kind of a cool place to get a picture if you have the chance. It's right next to a river... and if I remember correctly there is a don kiyote (I think that was the place...) that has a passageway to a ferris wheel that you can ride, which I think would be quite nice at nighttime (it was out of order when I went though).

If you like Okonomiyaki or Takoyaki you definitely don`t wanna miss out on eating some while you're there. I'm not an expert on the area, so maybe someone else could tell you a good place to eat at (I'm sure a google search might give you a start).

If it rains, you could always go to the aquarium, which is indoors. I had a pretty good time there when I went, but it's one of those things that you can kind of see anywhere if you know what I mean. They had some interesting fish there though!

By the way, sometimes taking a couple of taxi cabs might be cheaper than taking the train. It might help to plan out a route before you go if you're looking to save money and time that way.

What are you interested in? What kind of stuff do you wanna see/don't wanna see? That might help other people help you.
Hey Steven,

Thanks for your reply

The Guriko sign looks interesting. I think I would like to check that out. Definitely would like to take many pictures, as I am a real avid photographer. I like to shoot people, landscapes, architecture etc. Any suggestions for some great photo opportunities would be awesome!

I am looking forward to some great food! Not much into the real expensive fine dining....just would love to go where the regular local people eat. I am actually salivating already and I am not even in Japan yet

You mention about possibly taking cabs instead of the train. Are you talking about when we are in Osaka? or taking a cab from Kyoto? We will have a 2 week JR pass, so for sure we will take the train into Osaka and back.

Cheers.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-02-2010, 03:25 AM

To be clear it is the Glico sign (if you are searching for it) in the Namba/Shinsaibashi area of minami (south) Osaka. If you only have one day, this is a good district to shop, explore and eat in. The walking bridge the sign can be seen from is full of people and the exterior of the club that Michael Douglas enters in "Black Rain" was filmed at the north end of the short bridge, although it has since been torn down (a real shame).

Ame-mura might be an interesting cultural walk on the other side of Midosuji (the major North-South street through Osaka) if you want to see young, alternative culture. Great vintage stores, toy stores, music shops, and clothes clothes clothes.

Tell me what are you hoping to find in Osaka, and I can give more detailed advice. I lived in the area for a few years.

Last edited by MMM : 08-02-2010 at 03:30 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-02-2010, 04:18 AM

Hahahaha, excuse me. I totally assumed you were already in Japan so I made a couple assumptions.

Taking a cab from Kyoto to Osaka would cost a fortune!! If you have a JR pass, go ahead and take trains. If you were already living in Japan you couldn't use a JR pass, so you'd have to buy every train ticket thus making cab travelling a little more economical at times.

I'm having a hard time remembering what I did in Osaka when I was there, but I am willing to bet your best photo opportunity will be at the park where the castle is. Hopefully you'll get to see some fall colors because that will make it even better to take pictures. My favorite shot that I have is of the castle-- I remember I was standing outside of the hall that is in the park (which I think should be a straight shot from the train station... maybe a little bit to your left). I can't remember the name of the hall exactly, but I'm sure it's something like Osakajo koen --something something--. Maybe bunkakaikan or something like that. It's a fantastic place for pictures. If you have a lense that is able to take stable pictures at night, I'd try taking some pictures of the small river near the guriko sign.

For me, though a lot of Osaka was just a big city, so there wasn't a whole lot I was interested in taking pictures of, although I'm sure if you look hard enough there are endless shots you can take.

Okonomiyaki and Takyoyaki aren't even close to fine dining. I have to warn you, though, that some people don't like those very much. I think most Japanese do, though. It is really popular in that region and especially in Osaka.

Takoyaki's main ingredient is octopus, so if you're not into that then maybe just getting some on the street would be a good idea (instead of parkin' it in a restaraunt filled with the aroma of something you might not like).

There are a ton of different kinds of okonomiyaki... even if you don't like most of it there is probably one that you will like, but finding one that suits you in a big old menu might pove difficult. You can get seafood, shellfish, pork, beef, or a mix. It's hard to explain... I think it would be a good idea to check it out on youtube and read up on it. It's hard to compare it to things that we're used to eating. Think of it as pancake batter with a ton of junk in it like cabbage, meat, green onion type things, and a bunch of other stuff. Then you grill it (and it won't get brown like a pancake will). When you have grilled it you top it with a sweet sauce (that is dark) and mayonaise and maybe some bonita flakes or dried ground seaweed like stuff. I've even seen some with mustard on it. Even if it doesn't sound appealing to you, you could be pleasantly surprised. The word "okonomiyaki" basically means like "grill it to your liking" or something to that effect. You pretty much just mix a bunch of junk together and put it in pancake mix and grill it up and put whatever sauce you like on it. You can cook it yourself or have the cooks cook it for you. It is a very social thing, actually. It goes good with a cold beer or soda, in my experience. I've had sake with it and, no offense to okonomiyaki, but it felt like a waste to drink sake with it haha. (I love okonomiyaki and sake, so don't get me wrong).

Edit: Thanks for clearing that up MMM! Sometimes I get worried that I'm completely disregarding English in my everyday life... I never noticed that that sign said "glico", I always just saw the red "グリコ" haha. Also I forgot what Ame-mura was called! I went there but couldn't recall the name.

Last edited by steven : 08-02-2010 at 04:22 AM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
atan64 (Offline)
New to JF

08-03-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
To be clear it is the Glico sign (if you are searching for it) in the Namba/Shinsaibashi area of minami (south) Osaka. If you only have one day, this is a good district to shop, explore and eat in. The walking bridge the sign can be seen from is full of people and the exterior of the club that Michael Douglas enters in "Black Rain" was filmed at the north end of the short bridge, although it has since been torn down (a real shame).

Ame-mura might be an interesting cultural walk on the other side of Midosuji (the major North-South street through Osaka) if you want to see young, alternative culture. Great vintage stores, toy stores, music shops, and clothes clothes clothes.

Tell me what are you hoping to find in Osaka, and I can give more detailed advice. I lived in the area for a few years.

Hey MMM, thanks for your input...always appreciated!

I looked up Ame-mura and that looks to be an interesting area. I love to people watch and take in the culture.

With respect to what I am hoping to find in Osaka...to be honest, I am going with an open mind and just really take in the culture, young and old.

Prior to Osaka I will have seen about 5 days of Tokyo, which also includes Kamakura and Yokohama. I will most likely see more of the modern world of Tokyo, throwing in the wild side of the youth culture of the Harajuku district. I will also take in Ueno, Asakusa, Shibuya, Akihabara (I love anything electronics) and Shinjuku.

I will concentrate more of the old culture and heritage of seeing the temples and shrines in Kyoto.

I would love to see anything that may be unique to Osaka, that I may not see elsewhere. Any help there would be appreciated.

Cheers!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
atan64 (Offline)
New to JF

08-03-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Hahahaha, excuse me. I totally assumed you were already in Japan so I made a couple assumptions.

Taking a cab from Kyoto to Osaka would cost a fortune!! If you have a JR pass, go ahead and take trains. If you were already living in Japan you couldn't use a JR pass, so you'd have to buy every train ticket thus making cab travelling a little more economical at times.

I'm having a hard time remembering what I did in Osaka when I was there, but I am willing to bet your best photo opportunity will be at the park where the castle is. Hopefully you'll get to see some fall colors because that will make it even better to take pictures. My favorite shot that I have is of the castle-- I remember I was standing outside of the hall that is in the park (which I think should be a straight shot from the train station... maybe a little bit to your left). I can't remember the name of the hall exactly, but I'm sure it's something like Osakajo koen --something something--. Maybe bunkakaikan or something like that. It's a fantastic place for pictures. If you have a lense that is able to take stable pictures at night, I'd try taking some pictures of the small river near the guriko sign.

For me, though a lot of Osaka was just a big city, so there wasn't a whole lot I was interested in taking pictures of, although I'm sure if you look hard enough there are endless shots you can take.

Okonomiyaki and Takyoyaki aren't even close to fine dining. I have to warn you, though, that some people don't like those very much. I think most Japanese do, though. It is really popular in that region and especially in Osaka.

Takoyaki's main ingredient is octopus, so if you're not into that then maybe just getting some on the street would be a good idea (instead of parkin' it in a restaraunt filled with the aroma of something you might not like).

There are a ton of different kinds of okonomiyaki... even if you don't like most of it there is probably one that you will like, but finding one that suits you in a big old menu might pove difficult. You can get seafood, shellfish, pork, beef, or a mix. It's hard to explain... I think it would be a good idea to check it out on youtube and read up on it. It's hard to compare it to things that we're used to eating. Think of it as pancake batter with a ton of junk in it like cabbage, meat, green onion type things, and a bunch of other stuff. Then you grill it (and it won't get brown like a pancake will). When you have grilled it you top it with a sweet sauce (that is dark) and mayonaise and maybe some bonita flakes or dried ground seaweed like stuff. I've even seen some with mustard on it. Even if it doesn't sound appealing to you, you could be pleasantly surprised. The word "okonomiyaki" basically means like "grill it to your liking" or something to that effect. You pretty much just mix a bunch of junk together and put it in pancake mix and grill it up and put whatever sauce you like on it. You can cook it yourself or have the cooks cook it for you. It is a very social thing, actually. It goes good with a cold beer or soda, in my experience. I've had sake with it and, no offense to okonomiyaki, but it felt like a waste to drink sake with it haha. (I love okonomiyaki and sake, so don't get me wrong).

Edit: Thanks for clearing that up MMM! Sometimes I get worried that I'm completely disregarding English in my everyday life... I never noticed that that sign said "glico", I always just saw the red "グリコ" haha. Also I forgot what Ame-mura was called! I went there but couldn't recall the name.
Hey Steven, thanks for the photo op tips near the castle in the park. I hope to see some fall colors if I'm lucky, however I think it gets better in November from what I hear. I'll be equipped with my DSLR and tripod so I will try and get some night exposure pics.

I love takoyaki! My wife and I first experienced it for the first time about 8-9 years ago at our local Japanese festival we have every year in Vancouver, Canada. We try and go every year to take in the festivities and get a hold of some takoyaki. Now, I haven't tried Okonomiyaki, but now I want to! It looks kind of weird and delicious at the same time I'll be on it for sure when we're in Japan.

Thanks again!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-03-2010, 03:36 AM

There is great takoyaki stand at Sankaku Kouen (Triangle Park) in Ame-Mura. Looking at a map of Ame-mura, you can find the triangle shaped mini-"park" pretty easily.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
atan64 (Offline)
New to JF

08-03-2010, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
There is great takoyaki stand at Sankaku Kouen (Triangle Park) in Ame-Mura. Looking at a map of Ame-mura, you can find the triangle shaped mini-"park" pretty easily.
Did someone say takoyaki I found the triangle park on Google Earth. What is the best way to get to Ame-mura from the Osaka Castle. It doesn't look too far...is it a long walk? or is there a subway that can get us there?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-03-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atan64 View Post
Did someone say takoyaki I found the triangle park on Google Earth. What is the best way to get to Ame-mura from the Osaka Castle. It doesn't look too far...is it a long walk? or is there a subway that can get us there?
Hmmm. You ask a good question.

It really isn't THAT far...about a mile, give or take.

As far as I know, there is no direct line from Osaka Castle to Shinsaibashi or Namba (on the Midosuji Subway Line). If you take JR it would be two changes, which is a little over the top. I think you can take the Chuo line to Honmachi, then Honmachi is one stop from Shinsaibashi (you could even walk that, too).