JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Natoshin (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to Natoshin
Japan Travel and whats Needed? - 12-03-2010, 05:43 AM

Im exactly 15 but Im planning on going to japan as a Summer Vacation with a very good friend of mine thats 21.I already thought of the places I would book hotels with my friend at and that places I would visit. But the process of getting a passport,visitor visa and such and what I would need...kinda troubles me at that point...I can financially support myself alone but you need to be of a certain age i believe to book hotels so thats reason for my friend...anyhow I just need to know how to get a passport:I checked around on google but I want to hear a more clearer explanation by you guys same goes for tourist visa which allows for what was it 90 days I think o.o.So yea basically im asking mind giving me a detailed and good explanation for how to get passport,visitor visa and such so I can be better prepared for this summer unless something pops up and Im pushed away for having a vacation there.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

12-03-2010, 06:19 AM

Google the necessary documents needed for a passport (birth certificate, some form of ID, etc) and then check if one of your local post offices does passport registration (it's a pretty common service). If anything, they should be able to explain to you the necessary requirements.

You can also contact your nearest embassy or consulate to see what it takes to get a visa, because you'll probably have to either make a trip up there to do the paperwork or through snail mail anyway.

If there is any kind of "certain age" stipulation, why can't you just have your friend book the hotel under his name? And then you can pay him or whatever.

I can only point you in the right direction given what I know about your situation.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-03-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natoshin View Post
Im exactly 15 but Im planning on going to japan as a Summer Vacation with a very good friend of mine thats 21.I already thought of the places I would book hotels with my friend at and that places I would visit. But the process of getting a passport,visitor visa and such and what I would need...kinda troubles me at that point...I can financially support myself alone but you need to be of a certain age i believe to book hotels so thats reason for my friend...anyhow I just need to know how to get a passport:I checked around on google but I want to hear a more clearer explanation by you guys same goes for tourist visa which allows for what was it 90 days I think o.o.So yea basically im asking mind giving me a detailed and good explanation for how to get passport,visitor visa and such so I can be better prepared for this summer unless something pops up and Im pushed away for having a vacation there.
As an American you can get the visa when you land in Japan for 90 days. There isn't anything you need to do in advance.

Getting a passport is easier than getting a driver's license, and I am not sure what you need that isn't easily available on hundreds of websites already.

USPS - Passport Application Information

Is this 21 year old going to be staying with you in all these hotels? Most hotels are not going to let a kid stay there alone without an adult around. Who is letting you go to Japan all on your own?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Natoshin (Offline)
New to JF

12-03-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
As an American you can get the visa when you land in Japan for 90 days. There isn't anything you need to do in advance.

Getting a passport is easier than getting a driver's license, and I am not sure what you need that isn't easily available on hundreds of websites already.

USPS - Passport Application Information

Is this 21 year old going to be staying with you in all these hotels? Who is letting you go to Japan all on your own?
Yea hes gonna be around with me all the time in the hotels we gonna stay at , and actually i wasnt planning on going all on my own since I kinda do know the details of hotels and such and im not exactly the correct age to go off on my own either x-x.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Natoshin (Offline)
New to JF

12-03-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
G
You can also contact your nearest embassy or consulate to see what it takes to get a visa, because you'll probably have to either make a trip up there to do the paperwork or through snail mail anyway.

If there is any kind of "certain age" stipulation, why can't you just have your friend book the hotel under his name? And then you can pay him or whatever.
I recently got the passport and such done but the visa part i'll do during sometime this week. The part about booking the hotel under his name well I did that part before and it depends on the hotel since sometime they need a adult to sign in at the hotels or such.But, it would cause too much of a problem if something arises depending on my age for hotels so I think its best I have a adult i know well come with me for hotels and as a partner thats also interested in Japan .

EDIT: I apologize for the multiple post x-x.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
V1nn1 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-04-2010, 10:44 AM

What age do I need to have in order to travel to Japan alone actually? :O
(#7 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

12-04-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natoshin View Post
I recently got the passport and such done but the visa part i'll do during sometime this week. The part about booking the hotel under his name well I did that part before and it depends on the hotel since sometime they need a adult to sign in at the hotels or such.But, it would cause too much of a problem if something arises depending on my age for hotels so I think its best I have a adult i know well come with me for hotels and as a partner thats also interested in Japan .

EDIT: I apologize for the multiple post x-x.
But didn't you say you're friend is 21? That's old enough, is it not?

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Natoshin (Offline)
New to JF

12-04-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
But didn't you say you're friend is 21? That's old enough, is it not?
When you said If there is any kind of "certain age" stipulation, why can't you just have your friend book the hotel under his name? And then you can pay him or whatever. In your previous post I was just pointing out that I tried that before but still if hes(adult) not around then I usually cant get into the hotel since they need a adult to sign-in for the hotel.
I understood the part about booking under his name since hes a adult and I pay him.Agh...maybe I misunderstood a part of your previous post, if I did I apologize about that, but yea he is 21 and I'm positive hes old enough.