JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

Are japanese people really racist towards Chinese? - 02-16-2011, 01:10 AM

Well, I want to go to Japan, but I'm Chinese, so I wanted to ask, if the Japanese are really as racist towards the Chinese as I think? Like treating like trash, etc? That's what's holding me back from going there. I'm scared to travel there because of the misconceptions I have of that country and negative media input.

Last edited by Elenwe : 02-16-2011 at 03:45 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-16-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenwe View Post
Well, I want to go to Japan, but I'm Chinese, so I wanted to ask, if the Japanese are really as racist towards Chinese as I think? Like treating like trash, etc? That's what's holding me back from going there. I'm scared to traval there because of the misconceptions I have of that country and negative media input.
I am Chinese.. more Chinese than anyone can possibly imagine. I lived in Japan between age 7-9. And I've been visiting almost once a year since 2005. So far, I don't sense any discrimination.

If you are worry due to historical events and recent incident, then I think you need not worry. I am sure there are racist people anywhere and everywhere, Japan too, and I am sure there are people who sulk over incidents, but they won't do anything to you.

That said, I won't recommend traveling alone if you've never been...
(#3 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-16-2011, 02:47 AM

Because a crazy person is small number of people, it is No problem.
You should take care about Chinese who cheats the Chinese tourist.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-16-2011, 03:15 AM

I ask this question to a lot of people, but not just against China, against any other Asians.

Every younger Japanese person I ask has no problem with China or Chinese people, in fact they don't seem to hate anyone, even the popular anti-America that is found in most of the world especially among it's youth isn't here in Japan.

Older people are a different issue, one of my students is disowning his son because he insists on marrying a Chinese girl (who was born and raised in Japan and speaks little Chinese).

Obviously this is a minority case but it still happens sometimes, more commonly among older people.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-16-2011, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
I ask this question to a lot of people, but not just against China, against any other Asians.

Every younger Japanese person I ask has no problem with China or Chinese people, in fact they don't seem to hate anyone, even the popular anti-America that is found in most of the world especially among it's youth isn't here in Japan.

Older people are a different issue, one of my students is disowning his son because he insists on marrying a Chinese girl (who was born and raised in Japan and speaks little Chinese).

Obviously this is a minority case but it still happens sometimes, more commonly among older people.
But it does happen I guess, even in the north-American societies. So Japan has changed much since, I guess?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-16-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenwe View Post
Well, I want to go to Japan, but I'm Chinese, so I wanted to ask, if the Japanese are really as racist towards the Chinese as I think? Like treating like trash, etc? That's what's holding me back from going there. I'm scared to travel there because of the misconceptions I have of that country and negative media input.
Stop blaming your own prejudice against us on the media. Don't spread ignorance.

If you couldn't travel safely in Japan, you couldn't live in North America.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Elenwe (Offline)
JF Regular

02-16-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
Stop blaming your own prejudice against us on the media. Don't spread ignorance.

If you couldn't travel safely in Japan, you couldn't live in North America.
Well, in America it isn't "safe" either. I mean there are people who are racist here too. With parents who always told me that Japanese people hated Chinese and vice-versa, so I guess you can that I'm quite endoctrined. But yeah, I guess what my parents told me is pretty biased.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RTyokohama (Offline)
JF Regular

02-16-2011, 05:10 AM

for example, 中国嫁日記 is one of the hot blog in 2010.
that blog get "Alpha Bloger Award 2010"(one of the most powerful blog).
if the Japanese people are a racist, such a blog doesn't exist.

These days, the relation between Japan and China is not good. but I've never seen such a racist. Don't worry.

...But I recommend that you don't near "black van" propaganda trucks. that is right wing organization.
they are that "crazy person"

By now, I guess you get used to my funny English writing.
I thank you for reading it through.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

02-16-2011, 07:43 AM

RT is right, most people are great, the majority of Japan will accept anyone regardless of where they come from.

Your parents generation, they were right in their time, but that time has passed and only they remember it.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
skywok (Offline)
New to JF

I had a drink with a Chinese guy who grew up in Japan.. - 02-16-2011, 11:20 AM

I had a drink with a Chinese guy who grew up in Japan (he just sat down next to me and we started talking). He told me that there was quite a strong difference between the cultures, and he was aware of that. He said that they didn't really like each other because they're so different, however since he understood the culture - that it was okay for him and he didn't notice it much.

I would also say that American culture is pretty different to the Japanese one.

As someone who has had experience of the Chinese culture, I would say it will probably be okay if you have respect for their culture and try to assimilate to some extent. (For me, that's all part of the experience)

Just as if some loud Australian or loud American went across to Japan (I did travel with a loud Australian, I was so embarrassed - by the way I am Australian) they too would feel like they are shunned a little. It probably a lot less about where you come from, and a lot more about how you present yourself.

Imagine a foreigner came to China - would you want them to behave in a way that upsets your culture, and your idea of manners?

I would say:

* be gentle and humble in all circumstances (*never push or be aggressive, talk gently, smile, allow people to go in front of you, never block the path of others)

* give and be open, without expecting anything in return.

* respect hygiene (eg. handwashing after bathroom with soap)

* try and learn the language (even just a little, this makes a huge difference)

* take your time & respect people's personal space as much as possible (eg.
not walking too close to people on the street)

* being aware of who is around you and what they are doing

* be happy! people in any country love people who are enjoying being in their country (and really what is not to be happy about) - appreciate the people, there's nothing wrong with a smile if you see someone laughing or doing something funny.

* respect their manners (eg. chopstick methods and manners) people in restaurants often comment to me how they are surprised at how I handle chopsticks I am always surprised that they even notice, but I figure it must be a bit important to them (probably different for Chinese, though there are some specific manners involved)

In short - if you can still enjoy yourself whilst being completely considerate of others around you, you should be okay - and even help the relations and respect between your countries by just a little.

Last edited by skywok : 02-16-2011 at 11:29 AM.