JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

Airline Experieinces - Wherever to Japan - 06-27-2011, 02:31 PM

Can't seem to find anything about people's experieince with airlines, on their flight to Japan. Thought it could be a good idea to start a thread that can be used as booking references. Feel free to use any format or just copy my format

========================
Airline: Air Malyasia
When: June 2006
Flight Class: Business
Departure Airport: Kuala Lumpur
Experieince: Very clean flight, food were great (probably different had it been econ class), smooth flight. Young and pretty but not very friendly stewardess
========================

========================
Airline: JAL
When: October 2007
Flight Class: Economy
Departure Airport: Chicago
Experieince: Very clean flight, food were just average. Very friendly and helpful stewardess, but rather clumsy at times. English announcement were not the best
========================

========================
When: May 2008
Departure Airport: Vancouver
Experieince: Clean flight, smooth flight, but rough landing. Captain made a few mistake announcing departure/arrival city (though Japanese announcement were correct). Food was good. Friendly helpful stewardess
========================

========================
Airline: Air Canada
When: October 2009
Departure Airport: Toronto
Experieince: Worse experience ever. Food was good, but both ground and in flight staff were not helpful, some were just rude. The one staff that speak Japanese is not fluent, there were several mistake with her announcement. Safety instruction was in English and French only.
========================
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2011, 05:01 PM

All of my experiences with JAL have been absolutely great. It is now pretty much the only way I'll fly to Japan. I've flown Economy, Premium Economy and Executive classes with them. All beat the crap out of the western airlines.

Last flight over from the USA a couple of months ago, my wife and I got bumped form Premium Economy to Executive; supurb!!!!! Second time I've had that happen with JAL.

My worst experience ever was with Air Canada; big mistake.

best,

...............john
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-27-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
All of my experiences with JAL have been absolutely great. It is now pretty much the only way I'll fly to Japan. I've flown Economy, Premium Economy and Executive classes with them. All beat the crap out of the western airlines.

Last flight over from the USA a couple of months ago, my wife and I got bumped form Premium Economy to Executive; supurb!!!!! Second time I've had that happen with JAL.

My worst experience ever was with Air Canada; big mistake.

best,

...............john
Agree to AC being garbage.. i am surprise that they are still in business... i could fly JAL or AA from Canada to Japan CHEAPER than flying AC, but yet their service still sucks..
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-27-2011, 05:45 PM

========================
Airline: Thai Air
When: January 2008
Departure Airport: London Heathrow
Experience: Clean flight; Food very good and generous portions. Can't comment on entertainment as this was a night flight and I prefer to read my own books if I'm awake. Downside is an often long stop over (8 hours) in Bangkok- airport is out of city and not much to do, not enough time to go into city and do anything. Cabin staff were polite and helpful, although some had better English than others. On the connecting flight from Bangkok to Kansai, cabin crew spoke good Japanese, and seats were a little bigger. Smooth running flight, with no delay on the 4 occasions I've flown with them. Overall, better than expected for the price.
========================
(#5 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2011, 06:01 PM

I stick to Air Canada simply because of my accumulation of Aeroplan miles and convenience but they screwed me when I used them in 2008.

My flight from Calgary to Vancouver was delayed because the pilot was late - which caused me to miss the connecting flight from Vancouver to Narita!

I was left stranded in Calgary for 24hrs and they didn't even offer to subsidize the cost of a hotel for the overnight stay. Jeez!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

06-27-2011, 06:08 PM

Airline: Emirates
When: May 2011
Departure Airport: Manchester
Experience: Very good service. We started in Manchester, then to Dubai, then to Kansai. On the way back, from Tokyo Narita, to Dubai, to Manchester. The staff were wonderfully friendly, polite and efficient. The food was decent, always well presented. The flights were very comfortable, we were offered drinks regularly. Entertainment was excellent, with movies, TV, music, radio, news updates, games (yes they had Tetris, lol) and flight information were all displayed on a screen. The stops were also 3 hours, just enough.

My Dad has travelled with FinAir to China and can also say they were great, though he always travels business class.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-27-2011, 07:55 PM

Airline: Delta
When: March 2009
Departure Airport: YYZ (Toronto) - Atlanta - Narita
Experience: Good service, decent food and tons of movies and TV shows to keep you entertained. The day we left was the same day the Chinese Fed-Ex plane crashed and burned on the Narita runway

Not only were we one of the few flights that actually left that day, I still made my connection in Atlanta .

Air Canada is simply to be avoided at all costs, I can't say one good thing about them.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

06-30-2011, 09:20 PM

Has anyone flown Alitalia to Japan?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

06-30-2011, 10:46 PM

When: March 2005
Departure Airport: Chicago O'Hare to Narita
Experience: Very favorable experience. Cabin crew was very attentive and courteous. I was just a tad upset this 747-446 was not configured as initially planned. I was to have upper deck economy and was relegated to the main deck. No worries though, the flight back to ORD on JAL was configured the original way and I had my upper deck emergency exit seat. The food was reasonable fare. Flight was unremarkable, and that's a good thing!

When: October 2010
Departure Airport: Chicago O'Hare to Narita
Experience: Very pleasant experience. Cabin crew was outstanding. So much so that I decided to ask one of them, who happened to be from HK what happens when they get a good Voice of the Customer letter. She went on to tell me that they get a small reward, such as being able to pick their next destination or something similar. I went on to ask for the names of half a dozen cabin crew and wrote a lengthy letter on their form and dropped it off in the post box near the hotel where I was staying. I received a postcard back from JAL about a week after getting back to Chicago. The flight was on the much newer B777-346ER and it was smooth and seemed much quicker than the B747-446.

All in all, the only way I'll fly to Japan is on JAL. I'll be doing exactly the same flight (JL009) again in March to rack up some more mileage on my JMB card.... If there were to be a non-stop flight to Haneda, then I'd go that route, but I don't think it's going to happen from ORD....

P.S. I wasn't going to add my first flight, but since few people have ever heard of the airline, I'll add it....

Airline: Flying Tigers
When: October 1987
Departure Airport: STL-ANC-OKO (That's St. Louis to Anchorage to Yokota)
Experience: Being a military flight, there wasn't much in the way of amenities.

I also took a JAS (now defunct Japan Air System-merged with JAL) flight from Misawa (MSJ) to Haneda (HND). It was a short 1.5 hour flight on an old MD-80 in 1989. Had to use that since Yokota was closed because the runway was being repaved. It was nice to travel in civilian clothes into Tokyo....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 07-01-2011 at 01:24 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2011, 03:19 AM

========================
Airline: Finnair
When: July 2010
Departure Airport: London Heathrow - Connection in Helsinki, Finland
Experieince: Very nice flight. Seatback entertainment system was packed with things to do, including a bunch of games, puzzles, flight map, shop etc. Cabin crew were friendly and well presented. Stopover on the way was 2 hours, perfect. On the way back, 40 minutes, but they transferred all luggage on time and there was no delay to the connecting flight, so also perfect. Can't comment on food, as I didn't have any. I ALWAYS turn down airline food no matter what it is or with what airline, I just can't stand it.
========================

I'm going to be travelling to Tokyo again this month on Air Asia X from Kuala Lumpur, so I'll write something about them too when I've flown, but I've already flown them to Malaysia last year from London and they were fantastic for a low cost airline, so I have high expectations.