JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
beko (Offline)
New to JF

Question tips for first timers - 06-28-2011, 05:56 AM

what things do you wish you knew about before going to japan?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-28-2011, 06:15 AM

I'm assuming we're talking about just taking a trip to Japan.

Regarding my first trip, I wish I knew more about the different kinds of food. I think that there is a lot to learn about a culture through its food. Usually travelers in Japan have a JR Rail pass and can easily (and affordably) travel all around most of Japan. If you are planning on visiting a number of places, you'd be wise to try out the different kinds of food that are famous in each area. Unfortunately, the first time I went to Japan I was stuck eating "conbini" food on a lot of the nights (I went with a group, so I was pretty much stuck).

I also wish I knew more of the language of course!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-28-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Unfortunately, the first time I went to Japan I was stuck eating "conbini" food on a lot of the nights (I went with a group, so I was pretty much stuck).
That's a real shame. I am not the most well-traveled person on JF, but for me one of Japan's greatest features is the variety and quality of food available. I am told that because there are still Japanese alive today that remember WWII, the appreciation of a meal is trained at an early age. Food is not wasted, portions are reasonable, and there is no such thing as a "doggy bag".
(#4 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-28-2011, 07:25 AM

I hope you don't mind MMM, but I'd like to elaborate on your post... of course based on my experience and what I've been told. While this might scare off some potential visitors... I think this needs to be said.

It's funny because last night I realized that there is a lot of food that seems extremely low quality in Japan. For example, "family restaurants", have a lot of that cookie-cutter-microwave it-and put it on a plate-food. Of course there are a lot of other "budget" restaurants that have been around for the last few years as well. I'm sure the quality has dropped significantly since you lived here. I don't know if you heard about it, but recently there has been a lot of food poisoning problems ending in death in certain areas of Japan lately. These cases often occur at these "budget" type restaurants. A lot of this cheaper food is worse than its American counterpart in my opinion-- especially the meat. It comes over seasoned and poorly cooked. I suspect that the vegetables included in such meals come frozen from over seas. I suspect the same about a lot of the fish and meat.

Maybe it's different in the cities, but I think variety is also lacking. I find that all family restaurants have pretty much the same food. Obviously it's not the melting pot of America, so I think I might have high standards as far as "variety" goes.

About portions-- I think I can agree with you. It might not always be enough for me, but I think I just like to eat a lot. I think another feature of popular Japanese restaurants is that you can kind of "order as you go"... in other words, you don't always order one thing and call it a night, you get small portions of many things. I'm not just talking about izakaya style dining either, this seems to be the case of more and more restaurants that pop up in the country side as well.

I agree that the appreciation of a meal is present as well. I know they are taught about appreciating this basically from birth. I might be drawing a weird similarity, but I think that Japanese and Native Americans are similar in that they don't waste certain parts of meat. However, I'm not so certain that this can be attributed to the "lack" of a "doggy bag". I know places that indeed do allow for "doggy bags", including some respected high-end restaurants/onsens. I've heard it's more of a legal and health issue. Like if someone takes something home and it spoils, but they still eat it... then the restaurant might be held accountable. So obviously things like sashimi or food with raw eggs or other hazardous things are a legal risk.

Even still though, a couple of famous sushi places in my area allow for "doggy bags". I think it's also important to note that there are two kinds of Japanese "doggy bags". First of all, there is a kind of "western" kind. That is to say the customer didn't finish everything but wishes to take it home. That is uncommon, but it does happen. I've also been turned down and seen people be turned down when that kind of "doggy bag" is requested. The other kind of "doggy bag" is more like "take out" after you've eaten. In other words, you have finished eating, but you wish to take home a "doggy bag" (read: omiyage) for the wife. That kind of "doggy bag" is more accepted from what I've seen.

So I don't think it's a matter of everyone finishing everything they eat therefore there is no need for a doggy bag. I think it's more that it's kind of against the rules (although I can think of many many examples of "rule breakers" in this case).

Keep in mind this is just my experience. I do believe that things have changed though. Even within the amount of time I've lived here I feel like I've felt a quality drop.

So for visitors-- I would avoid family restaurants as well as 100 yen sushi/yakiniku shops... don't be afraid to try more local places. That's where Japan's quality shines.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
beko (Offline)
New to JF

06-28-2011, 09:57 AM

i should add that i spent about 14 years all up in japan after going to live there with my family when i was 16 and was fully culture shocked for the first few months.i`m just interested to know what info other people wished they had known about before going to japan ,whether for travel or living.is there a
specific place on JF for writing handy tips about japan for newby`s ?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Neffiline (Offline)
JF Regular

07-15-2011, 12:54 PM

When I traveled to Japan the first time, I wish I'd known you're supposed to walk on the left side of the street / side walk. It sounds stupid but I had no idea, no one told me so I looked like a real idiot going against people on the right side until I realized it 24 hours later.

Also I wish I'd known more about the shops and fashion of which I'm into right now, because I missed on a lot of them while I was there.

Research everything, over-do it if you can. I find I didn't research what I wanted to do, where I wanted to go and what I wanted to shop for/buy before going there.

Next time I'll be better prepared :B

(#7 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-15-2011, 03:04 PM

If you are planning to travel a lot in and around Tokyo a Suica card is a must have. You can get it at the same place you get a JR pass from if I'm not mistaken. It's a rechargeable pass. You can use it on metro lines, busses, vending machines, some cafe's and possibly also on other things. It really helped me out when I was there.

Suica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Japan Travel TV Narita Airport Bus or Suica Deal Express Train?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-19-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose1213 View Post
I don't wish so as English is the first int'l language, so anyone wouldn't stuck by language if knows a little english
(quite funny isn't it.)
Are you being sarcastic? Or being serious? Cus this is one of the shallowest thing I've seen on JF so far....
(#9 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

07-19-2011, 03:50 PM

I wish I would have known more about the historical culture and the pop culture. You may find yourself at something like a temple where you can appreciate it for it's aesthetic beauty, but if you don't know anything about the place, and it's significance for why it was built, it's kind of just awkward. The same goes for pop culture. You'll see a lot of anime, manga, music, games and whatnot that you have no clue about, and you'll wish you were a bit more brushed up on the pop culture aspect. So generally, just learn a bit about the culture before coming over; it really does help.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#10 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

07-19-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I wish I would have known more about the historical culture and the pop culture. You may find yourself at something like a temple where you can appreciate it for it's aesthetic beauty, but if you don't know anything about the place, and it's significance for why it was built, it's kind of just awkward. The same goes for pop culture. You'll see a lot of anime, manga, music, games and whatnot that you have no clue about, and you'll wish you were a bit more brushed up on the pop culture aspect. So generally, just learn a bit about the culture before coming over; it really does help.
Actually I'm glad I didn't know much about these things, and many other important cultural aspects of Japan.
I say that because it serves as an excellent conversational tool, find what it is that someone's really interested in, and get them talking about it to their heart's content, and I learn about Japan first hand.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.