JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Going to Anywhere, Japan - Last week of December - Suggestions? - 07-11-2011, 04:15 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a potential customer I must meet one day in Hiroshima but the rest of my week and a half is mine to waste how I please. I will also purchase a JR pass again.

I stayed in Osaka last year and traveled to Kyoto, Hiroshima, and Nara. I wouldn't mine visiting those places again but would like a new experience also.

I love history, museums, and shrines but also feel at home in electronica clubs, bar scenes, love heavy rock/metal concerts, blues clubs, and places where scantily clad women dance respectfully.

Please give advice on your favorite shrines, temples, clubs, places-to-see locales!

Of course, I'll probably be a typical human being and ignore everyone's advice and do whatever I want but I still want to hear your thoughts! lol

Also, Last year the hotel I stayed at had an onsen and I loved relaxing at night it it after walking around all day. If possible, would love to be near one as much as possible.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
TGO (Offline)
New to JF

07-12-2011, 01:14 PM

You could visit Miyajima - it's free to take the ferry over there if you have a valid JR Pass. Miyajima is a small, silent and peaceful island with a very famous shrine in the water just before you reach the island. There isn't much to see/do there apart from the island itself (and its nature) but I spent 5-6 hours there last year and I don't regret. There are some walking routes on some quite steep mountains, beautiful view of the sea and a few small rivers and you will probably meet some deer’s as well. It's quite easy to get there by train from Hiroshima. Not many shops in the area apart from small souvenir shops and a 7/11, so you may wish to bring some food with you if you plan to stay there for a while.

See: Miyajima Travel Guide
(#3 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2011, 01:30 AM

Hi TGO,

Thanks for the reply and I went to Miyajima Shrine this year and had a blast! I went a few days after New Years 2011 and there were tons of people, shops, and deer! I spent quite a few hours there also, it's just a beautiful place. I definitely want to go back.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-13-2011, 01:32 AM

There's also Okayama and Kobe and Nagoya.... Tokyo may be a bit far....
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

07-13-2011, 02:00 AM

Have u been to Ehime Prefecture? You can take the ferry from Hiroshima to Matsuyama , Ehime Prefecture. Dogo Onsen is very nice.

Yamaguchi Prefecture is also very near Hiroshima, I think about 40 minutes from Hiroshima Station. The Kintaikyo is very beautiful.

If you are taking the JR Pass, try going all the way to Beppu.
Since you like the culture, I recommend to visit Usuki Oita. Its an hour a way by train from Beppu Station.

If you like Onsen, try visiting Kinosaki Onsen in Kyoto too.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------