JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
darkshadowgirl (Offline)
New to JF

Inside Japan and Samurai Tours Reviews? - 07-21-2011, 10:53 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here has used either of these two company's before and have any feedback on them?

I am thinking of doing one of their self-guided tours.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Igawa29 (Offline)
KQUEST

07-23-2011, 10:57 PM

I used Inside Japan tours in 2008 and I am using them again this year. I love everything about them. I do the self guided tours, which are the best I think. They talk with you through the entire process, and if the price seems high they work with you to help lower the cost. You basically tell them where you are interested in going and they send you an info packet 1 month before your trip with all the different ways to get to where you want to go laid out.

If you have problems they have a Japanese office you can call while you are there and they help fix any problem you might have.

I would highly recommend Inside Japan Tours
(#3 (permalink))
Old
darkshadowgirl (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2011, 07:05 PM

Yeah so far I am having a good experience with InsideJapan. I put in a brochure request and sent them an email in within 20 mins they gave me a call on the phone and answered all my questions!

Yeah One of my concerns is the price point... That's good they will work with you on price, maybe I can haggle them down to a reasonable price.

But almost 7000$ for two people for two weeks seems a little over priced? I looked up all the hotels they book online and did the math on the cost of that and the JR pass totaled about 3000$. I know they also offer their services on top of that, but 50%+ profit seems a little high.

Is that still a good value you think?

Last edited by darkshadowgirl : 07-25-2011 at 07:08 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Igawa29 (Offline)
KQUEST

07-26-2011, 09:56 AM

That is very strange that price. My wife and I went back in 2008 for 16days\15nights and the price was just under $5,000.

This time we are going in November with the same people and they quoted just above $4,000 for basically the same amount. So I would tell them your budget and they can work around that.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kasmansc (Offline)
New to JF

Thumbs up recommendation for Samurai Tours - 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM

Our family (15 year old daughter and parents) just returned from Samurai Tours' "Best of Japan" tour. We highly recommend using them if you are going to Japan for the first time, as we did.

Because of they way Samurai Tours handles things (all public transportation, all ryokan, etc.), we feel that we not only got to see the sites in Japan, but also really got to know the people and the culture of this fascinating country.

There were a few things we worried about before the trip that turned out not to be problems at all. In case you are worrying about the same things, let me reassure you.

At the moment, of course, many people are cancelling their trips to Japan because of the recent disasters there (earthquake, tsunami and nuclear plant failure). Believe me, it did not feel like we were visiting a disaster zone. We always felt safe. Aside from a few minor inconveniences (air conditioners were set a bit higher to save electricity, our trip to Nikko was replaced with a different excursion) we would not have been aware of it at all. And, these are more than outweighed by the fact that now is a GOOD time to go because there are no crowds at the main tourist sites.

We agree with other reviews that the two Japanese tour guides we had were really knowledgeable and easy to get along with. Some of the reviews we read complained that Mike Roberts (the top guy at Samurai Tours) was not a good tour guide himself. It is true that he knows less about Japan than the native Japanese guides. However, his laid-back personality and knowledge of America and American culture make up for this. (I mean, even though he knows less about Japan than the other guides, he knows more about what we will find unusual or interesting.) We did not mind at all when Mike was our guide.

Some other reviews we read complained about the lodging and/or food. We think those people just didn't want to go to Japan! All of the food we ate was DELICIOUS. Samurai Tours handles most of the meals and what they got us was GREAT. It is true that by the end of the tour we were craving some Western cuisine, but we were able to handle that with the meals we purchased on our own, and Samurai Tours even took us out for one Italian meal. Yes, hotels in Japan have tiny bathrooms, and if you elect to go with the Japanese style room then you'll be sleeping on a futon laying on tatami flooring, but that's the Japanese experience we wanted! (Bathrooms: expect the entire bathroom to seem like an oversized shower stall, with unfamiliar controls and electronic toilet seats. Lodging: we really liked the "no shoes" policy and found the futons very comfortable, but some people do complain.)

We spent an extra night in a hotel on our own at the end of the tour and ate out a bunch of times during the tour, so we have an idea of how much things cost. We really feel as if we got our money's worth out of the price of the tour. To stay in such nice hotels and eat so many great meals must be expensive. It was convenient and cost effective to have Samurai Tours handle all of that for us.

We could complain about a few tiny things. (Although it had a very nice public bath, the lodging in Hakkone was noticeably less nice than the others, which were otherwise excellent. The stay at a mountaintop monastery was less impressive than we had expected because it was a lot more commercial and developed up there than we thought it would be.) But, we really are very glad we decided to use Samurai Tours, and that we decided to go now. We would never have been able to have as many great experiences in such a short time on our own, and we feel that they really taught us how to get around and do things so that if we went back we probably COULD do it ourselves. Even so, if we ever do go to Japan again we would probably use Samurai Tours again.

Three thumbs up for Samurai Tours from the Kasmans of South Carolina.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
darkshadowgirl (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2011, 08:51 PM

thanks kasman for that review... That's good to hear about Saumrai tours. I assume you took the fully guided tour then? I am looking into them for the self guided tour. Emailing with Mike Roberts now. They definitely are a lot cheaper then the Inside Japan tours.. but I have heard good things about InsideJpan tours too.

That interesting what you said about koya-san temple stay. I am a little leery of doing that myself. For one I don't want to wake up early for prayer!

Did you stay in Shirakowago in one of the old farm houses? If so, how was it? Mike suggested that to me...
(#7 (permalink))
Old
darkshadowgirl (Offline)
New to JF

07-31-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igawa29 View Post
That is very strange that price. My wife and I went back in 2008 for 16days\15nights and the price was just under $5,000.

This time we are going in November with the same people and they quoted just above $4,000 for basically the same amount. So I would tell them your budget and they can work around that.
I just got an official quote from them and they gave me $5500 for 15nights/16days. But I am also including two nights at a very nice ryokan so that may be why it's a bit more then your original trip. But I excluded the private tours. So yes, they have been very helpful so far and I feel that this is a fairly reasonable price.

I guess their website prices are just 'suggestions'.

Can I ask what your itinerary was? I am still fine tuning mine and I'm still having a hard time figuring it out!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Igawa29 (Offline)
KQUEST

08-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Can I ask what your itinerary was? I am still fine tuning mine and I'm still having a hard time figuring it out!
Sure, here is what my wife and I did the first time we went to Japan:

Day 1 (Monday 14 April 2008)): Tokyo
Meet & Greet + Ltd Express to Shinjuku station

Kadoya Hotel
Four Nights

DAY 2 (Tuesday 15 April 2008): Tokyo

Trip To Sanrio Pure Land

Day 3 (Wednesday 16 April 2008)
8 Hours Private Guide Service In Tokyo

Day 4 (Thursday 17 April 2008)
Studio Ghibli Tickets

Day 5 (Friday 18 April 2008)

Train from Shinjuku to Matsumoto

Matsumoto
Richmond Hotel Matsumoto

Day 6 - 7 (Saturday 19 April 2008)
Highway Bus Matsumoto To Takayama

Takayama
Tanabe Ryokan

Day 8 (Monday 21 April 2008)
Train from Takayama to Toyama
Train from Toyama to Kanazawa

Kanazawa

Kanazawa Castle Inn

Day 9 (Tuesday 22 April 2008)
Train from Kanazawa to Kyoto

Kyoto
Aranvert Hotel Kyoto

Day 10 (Wednesday 23 April 2008)
8 Hours Private Guide Service In Kyoto

Day 11 (Thursday 24 April 2008)
Day Trip To Himeji And Okayama

Day 12 (Friday 25 April 2008)
Day Trip To Nara And Osaka

Day 13 (Saturday 26 April 2008)
Train from Kyoto to Nagoya

Nagoya
Westin Castle Hotel

Day 14 (Sunday 27 April 2008)
Train from Nagoya to Yokohama

Yokohama
Pan Pacific

Baseball Game (Yokohama Baystars vs Hiroshima Carp)

Day 15 (Monday 28 April 2008)
Train from Yokohama to Narita Airport

Our next trip we are just going to stay 13 nights in Kyoto and 3 nights in Tokyo. Figure now it would be better to be centralized and then travel to places... it was hard moving from place to place during the trip.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
darkshadowgirl (Offline)
New to JF

08-01-2011, 05:21 PM

Looks like a good itinerary.

How was Sanrio Land? Is that something worth taking a look at? I hadn't heard of till now, but it sounds pretty cool.

Yeah I'm a little concerned about the amount of travel to city to city too. But it looks like it didn't ruin your time or anything right?

Ah I can't wait.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Igawa29 (Offline)
KQUEST

08-02-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
How was Sanrio Land? Is that something worth taking a look at? I hadn't heard of till now, but it sounds pretty cool.

Yeah I'm a little concerned about the amount of travel to city to city too. But it looks like it didn't ruin your time or anything right?
Sanrio Land was a mecha of Hello Kitty stuff... which my wife adored. It is a place for both little kids and anyone that loves Hello Kitty. There was a boat ride, very similar to "Small World" in Walt Disney World in the US. The buffet wasn't bad, but I think it was like 18.00 a person, a lot of Japanese/American type stuff. Characters would come up and hug you or give you high fives during the buffet, and there is always stage shows going on. We saw this big parade with Princess Hello Kitty that was interesting. This was my wife's gift for letting me drag her to a baseball game Did I enjoy it, nah, but it was tollarable. My wife on the other hand loved this place.

The traveling wasn't bad, just tiring, and trying to lug all our baggage was a chore until we found out about baggage forwarding. So I wouldn't say that the travel ruined our time, it just made us feel just a little rushed at times.