LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-02-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu22 View Post
But is it possible to make a comfortable living with such jobs? Also do you ever meet anybody who get a working visa to work as a bartender, waiter or alike?
I'll take up your question on this.

It is possible to make a living out of such jobs, but not to the extend of "comfortable". But you sure can "survive" with such jobs.

Jobs like these mostly falls into the category of part-time job, known here as arubaito. Assuming you work for 5 days a week at 1000 yen/hour, you can get: 5hour x 1000yen x 5days x 4weeks = 100,000yen/month. To be frank, one can barely survive in Japan with this money. Most foreigners who lives on a shoe-string make it by taking on 2 or 3 part-time jobs in a day.

Bear this in mind. For these kind of jobs, you are most likely not be granted a working visa by any company. You will be on your own. Without a working visa, you will be considered working illegally. Think about it.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
12-02-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
I guess you had no luck finding a full time gym. I am surprised, considering so many traditional styles in Japan, no full time gyms. Or at least, they are not easy to find. I came accross a Ninjutsu one, I was extremely interested in it, but turns out they will only accept people who speak fluent Japanese. I really dont have time to learn. Oh well, Chinese Kung Fu is cheaper anyway, and my personal opinion is it is better than majority of Japanese styles. I might just stick to that and Muay Thai. I wanted to find Capoeira in Brazil, but same problem... I guess not many people are interested in full time training anymore....
yea i was kinda surprised to. i asked my close friend who i consider a second mom who lives in japan. She said theres like a school thing for her son to take martial arts, but thats an hour from the center of Tokyo. I havent really found any places like that. i did go to a japanese gym, but i didnt take lessons in any thing, i just went to left.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
12-06-2007, 07:39 PM

read me =P

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

(#44 (permalink))
Old
Yon (Offline)
New to JF

12-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Thank you Housetek...i got alot of information here...very useful too for people who are unsure what to do before going to japan just like me...but i want still more information, can i contact you?
(#45 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

12-07-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Do you know any gym in Japan that teaches full time traditional style (not matter what style, just must be traditional. I.e. Karate, Aikido, Judo, Kendo) martial arts to English speaking students. Me cant find anywhere, and I wanne come to Japan...

just an FYI:

this is an Aikido in Osaka-> Welcome to Aikido Tenshin Dojo

another I saw a Karate school just a station away from Osaka too but Im not sure if they speak english though

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------

Last edited by samokan : 12-07-2007 at 12:30 AM.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

12-07-2007, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yon View Post
Thank you Housetek...i got alot of information here...very useful too for people who are unsure what to do before going to japan just like me...but i want still more information, can i contact you?
yes you can contact me about your questions for japan and i will help you as much as i can.

MR.JF & Jf God

(#47 (permalink))
Old
BestFriend (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to BestFriend
12-20-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post
Do not travel within 4 days of new years. every thing shuts down on new years and 3-4 days after.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going to Tokyo from Dec. 26th til Jan. 5th. Damn... I was so happy... all the sudden I'm sad...

Is anything open??? Clubs? Anything?

Worst news everrr...
Dr. Houstek, I need your help!

Thanks for the awesome write-up. They pretty much answered all my doubts.

Making friends worlwide!

Ri
(#48 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2007, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestFriend View Post

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going to Tokyo from Dec. 26th til Jan. 5th. Damn... I was so happy... all the sudden I'm sad...

Is anything open??? Clubs? Anything?
Many are closed, but not all. Some stores, some restaurants, 7-11's, public parks, etc are open.

However, New Years day is one of the best time to visit temples. Many activities and ceremonies that you can watch. People are dressed in their best when they come to pray on this day. All of a sudden, you'll find many people walkiing in kimonos here.

Other than that, not much to do.

(#49 (permalink))
Old
BestFriend (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to BestFriend
12-21-2007, 02:59 AM

Enyafriend,
Thanks for the help! I had planned to visit temples for new years but is that a all day/night thing for the 1st 3 days of new years?
Also... I don't want to be rude and have no manners while I'm there. Is there anything I should be aware of? Although I'll be just another tourist, I want to be respectful.
Like if I see a lady wearing a kimono, would it be rude if I asked her to take a picture with me?

I'm about to extend my stay in Japan... hope it doesn't damage my wallet.

I love this forum. Thank you very much!

Making friends worlwide!

Ri
(#50 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Sorry for this late reply.

To your question, yup, it's an all day thing. Many people will be coming in and out of the temples throughout the day. Best time, I think, will be in the morning.

If you wanna take pics, if you're standing at a distance, you can take the pics and no one will notice you. But if you really want to take close-up pics of someone praying, it's best you ask for permission first. Some might oblige you while others might object to it.
Feel free to ask anyone that you fancy to have a pic with you. I think many people won't mind that.

If you are watching over your wallet, then you may want to buy your meals off covenience stores, where they sell a variety of lunch boxes at very reasonable prices.

Have fun.