(#51 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-28-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestFriend View Post
Enyafriend,
Thanks for the help! I had planned to visit temples for new years but is that a all day/night thing for the 1st 3 days of new years?
Also... I don't want to be rude and have no manners while I'm there. Is there anything I should be aware of? Although I'll be just another tourist, I want to be respectful.
Like if I see a lady wearing a kimono, would it be rude if I asked her to take a picture with me?

I'm about to extend my stay in Japan... hope it doesn't damage my wallet.

I love this forum. Thank you very much!
I went to a temple with some Japanese friends one New Years. I'd suggest not taking pictures of people while they are praying (especially not with a flash bulb), but you can take pictures of them walking around the temple, the temple maidens, the fortune telling lottery and sticks, the huge barrels of sake, etc.

At the temple I went to, there were temple maidens who, for a price, will let you spin a lottery-type basket filled with little numbered balls. The ball you get corresponds to a stick that has your fortune for the coming year.

Sake makers sent sample casks of the coming year's product to the temple on New Years, where it is blessed by the priests, and that blessing is supposed to then extend to the whole batch.

If you actually go on New Years night, you'll hear them ring the bell 108 times, to chase away each of the "mortal desires" that plague mankind (we have "7 deadly sins", they have 108). Buddhist Channel | Buddhism News, Headlines | Arts & Culture | Japanese New Year Bell Ringing Ceremony at the Asian Art Museum

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#52 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-29-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
I went to a temple with some Japanese friends one New Years. I'd suggest not taking pictures of people while they are praying (especially not with a flash bulb), but you can take pictures of them walking around the temple, the temple maidens, the fortune telling lottery and sticks, the huge barrels of sake, etc.

At the temple I went to, there were temple maidens who, for a price, will let you spin a lottery-type basket filled with little numbered balls. The ball you get corresponds to a stick that has your fortune for the coming year.

Sake makers sent sample casks of the coming year's product to the temple on New Years, where it is blessed by the priests, and that blessing is supposed to then extend to the whole batch.

If you actually go on New Years night, you'll hear them ring the bell 108 times, to chase away each of the "mortal desires" that plague mankind (we have "7 deadly sins", they have 108). Buddhist Channel | Buddhism News, Headlines | Arts & Culture | Japanese New Year Bell Ringing Ceremony at the Asian Art Museum
Yes, I almost forgot about the ringing of the bells on New Years nite. That ought to be interesting.

Whatever it is, whenever you want to take pics of people praying or anything that you're unsure of, just be discreet or do it from a distance.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-29-2007, 05:49 AM

Your videos are super informative Housetek, thanks a bunch. I'll definitely be using your guides when I go later this year. Don't take them down

I
沖縄           My blog
(#54 (permalink))
Old
BestFriend (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to BestFriend
01-01-2008, 02:17 PM

Dear JF friends,
It's Jan. 1st and I haven't had a chance to go to a temple yet. I'm still recovering from last night. Came home at 6 am after a crazy night at Club Alife in Roppongi. Oi Oi Oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !! !
The Japanese know how to party hard. This has been the best New Years in my life. I love everything about Japan. There's no place like it. Japan ICHIBAN desu! But I do need to extend my stay here... maybe forever?

Regarding the pictures... I didn't mean to take a picture of people praying. That would just be very rude in pretty much any country.

And yeah... every business is pretty much closed. Thanks for the warning!

JAPAN...................................................................... ....................
I love you so much
I really don't wanna leave. I got 4 days left and I'm already depressed about it. I have made many new friends here. I will miss them a lot

Japan, thank you for the best time everr

Making friends worlwide!

Ri
(#55 (permalink))
Old
BestFriend (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to BestFriend
01-01-2008, 02:19 PM

Oh yeah,
Happy New Years Everyone; Happy Two Thousand Gr8!

Making friends worlwide!

Ri
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
01-02-2008, 02:53 PM

happy new years every one! and thanks for the great feed back.

Sorry for not beng able to be active lately, I've been in vietnam for the past month.

promise when i get back ill start doin more videos.

and when i do get back to japan ill try to do some lil virtual video tours of popular places.

in the mean time

feel free to pm me any questions

i dont hvae much time on the internet here to search around for the questions

so peece and <3 to every one!

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#57 (permalink))
Old
ToshiXeero (Offline)
New to JF

02-01-2008, 06:57 AM

About applying for a prepaid phone I read that on the web-side of softbank.
  • The applicant's visa must be valid for at least 90 days following the date of application.
  • The Passport must be valid.
  • Must bear the applicant's photograph and the same address, name, and date of birth as the application form.
  • Those with a non-resident or short-term resident status may not apply.
  • You must provide a proof of your current address (any of ①Residential registration certificate ②Public utilities receipt ③Printed matter issued by goverment or public offices) when the address shown on your card differs from that on the application form. (The name on the alien registration card must match the name of the applicant.)

Did they change the law or what happend?
(#58 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
02-01-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
I guess you had no luck finding a full time gym. I am surprised, considering so many traditional styles in Japan, no full time gyms. Or at least, they are not easy to find. I came accross a Ninjutsu one, I was extremely interested in it, but turns out they will only accept people who speak fluent Japanese. I really dont have time to learn. Oh well, Chinese Kung Fu is cheaper anyway, and my personal opinion is it is better than majority of Japanese styles. I might just stick to that and Muay Thai. I wanted to find Capoeira in Brazil, but same problem... I guess not many people are interested in full time training anymore....

Not really surprising when it is not an English-native country...

I have a (Canadian) friend who is a fighter out here - his gym teaches MMA in English, but the styles won't be Japanese-exclusive (far from it!). Anyway, I think his place is called Killer Bee - next time I see him, I will ask if he knows of any places more to your requirements
(#59 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
02-01-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToshiXeero View Post
About applying for a prepaid phone I read that on the web-side of softbank.
  • The applicant's visa must be valid for at least 90 days following the date of application.
  • The Passport must be valid.
  • Must bear the applicant's photograph and the same address, name, and date of birth as the application form.
  • Those with a non-resident or short-term resident status may not apply.
  • You must provide a proof of your current address (any of ①Residential registration certificate ②Public utilities receipt ③Printed matter issued by goverment or public offices) when the address shown on your card differs from that on the application form. (The name on the alien registration card must match the name of the applicant.)

Did they change the law or what happend?

i got my phone in may of 07

all i needed was passport, and the address of my apartment.

very easy 10 min process to get a phone

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#60 (permalink))
Old
koaku (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-01-2008, 03:11 PM

Hey! Just want to know

Im going to Tokyo (im french) in August for finish my study for 2 or maybe 4 yrs in Toudai, I take my dad flat in Shinjuku...That will be my first time in Japan and I want to know(if you know) If looking for flat closer of the Uni is better,find a job (anything) is easy like in US ???

Thx!

I Honestly, seriously and truly.....don't care about U