JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
america8371 (Offline)
New to JF

Japan winter travel - 10-05-2007, 01:51 AM

Hi everyone,
I would like to visit Japan, my problem is that I'm a college student and I'm always taking classes even during the summer. I only have about 5 days between each semester. The only time that I have more than five day is Dec. 12-24. From what I read on the forums, the holidays is not the best time to visit Japan. But since I have no other time available, I was wondering if I would still have a good trip. I'm from Florida so I'm also wondering about the weather. Thanks in advance.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-05-2007, 01:55 AM

That time of year should be fine for travel (though prices might be high). I wouldn't recommend after Christmas, but before Christmas is fine.

The weather will depend on where you are. Tokyo might have snow that time of year. West Japan doesn't see as much snow. You'll be outside and walking a lot so warm clothes are recommended.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
america8371 (Offline)
New to JF

10-05-2007, 02:10 AM

Would Dec. 26-Jan 5 be better? I assumed new years eve would be a worse time. Wondered if anything would even be open.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

10-05-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by america8371 View Post
Would Dec. 26-Jan 5 be better? I assumed new years eve would be a worse time. Wondered if anything would even be open.

That would be the worst time period to visit Japan. Many stores are closed around Dec. 30 thru Jan. 3. I recommend that you go before Christmas.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
america8371 (Offline)
New to JF

10-05-2007, 02:59 AM

Ok, before Christmas sounds good, but I will i still get to see the normal Japan or will there be a lot of places closed. Also I was wondering about IACE, their prices are top notch but I just couldn't find my exact dates (Dec.13-24), is there maybe another site like it?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-05-2007, 03:28 AM

I am not sure what the "normal Japan" is. You will get to see Japan in winter mode. Christmas is a sort of romantic holiday, so be prepared to hear George Michael's "Last Christmas" ad nauseum.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
america8371 (Offline)
New to JF

10-05-2007, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not sure what the "normal Japan" is.
Yeah that was a funny way of saying it. But its like New York City during the holidays, its like a totally different place. I just assumed that most major cities are like that.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Illusional (Offline)
JF Regular

10-05-2007, 03:44 AM

wow... i booked my trip to japan a few months back and damn, looking for tickets was a bitch. i'm going back to japan in december time also, and if you are planning on going to japan this year, good luck on finding a plane ride.

raverboy

...this is just my perspective on the situation...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-05-2007, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by america8371 View Post
Yeah that was a funny way of saying it. But its like New York City during the holidays, its like a totally different place. I just assumed that most major cities are like that.
Yes. It's a little like that. But I like it.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
america8371 (Offline)
New to JF

10-05-2007, 04:17 PM

Wow, IACE has tickets for about 800-900 buck from Florida during Dec.
Too bad the dates are off for me, maybe I should adjust for those dates.