Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

11-08-2007, 01:51 AM

--wrong post ---

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------

Last edited by samokan : 11-08-2007 at 01:53 AM.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

11-08-2007, 01:53 AM

here is my photoblog around kansai area

Maniniyot

am still working on some pictures though ..
( shameless plugging lol )
amateur artists/graphic designers/anime geeks
-> i think you will be spending more than in shibuya, harajuku, akihabara, ginza, ueno or roppongi then.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#23 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2007, 06:19 AM

Hey, really nice photos! I'm hoping to get a good collection on this trip too ^_^

Definitely spending some time in those places, although we do want to spend some time doing more cultural things too
(#24 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-08-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChisaChi View Post
Hey, really nice photos! I'm hoping to get a good collection on this trip too ^_^

Definitely spending some time in those places, although we do want to spend some time doing more cultural things too
Trust me, EVERYTHING you do there is cultural.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-08-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
A lot of people have recommended Nara to me, definitely looks worth checking out

I kind of got sick of temples when I went to China ^^; Although they were all Buddhist ones. But people keep saying there's so much to do and see in Kyoto? I haven't really done any research on it yet, so I don't know what there is to see.

What about Tokyo? Is it worth spending 5 days there?

Basically we're a group of amateur artists/graphic designers/anime geeks so we're up for main tourist attractions, places with nice (inspiring?) photography opportunities, weird fashion, shopping, contemporary art type places, architecture, anime and manga stuff (there aren't any conventions in Feb are there?), food... okay, I guess that doesn't really narrow it down much!

I seriously appreciate everyone's help here - I want to see as much as I can, cos I don't know when I'll be able to afford to go again!
My recommendation would be

Tokyo-5
Kyoto 2-3
Osaka-2-3
Nara 1/2 - 1
Kobe- 1
Himeji 1/2

(Those are the places I am the most familiar with) Finding temples is easy, and the well-trodden paths will take you to the must sees. In terms of architecture, JR Kyoto station is a real marvel. Along with the Daibutsu in Nara...different centuries but both always amaze me.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2007, 06:44 AM

Thanks! What about Hiroshima? I know quite a bit of the main attractions are to do with the bombing which can be a bit... depressing, but it does sound like quite a nice city as well. Plus I hear they make good okonomiyaki >_>
(#27 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-08-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks! What about Hiroshima? I know quite a bit of the main attractions are to do with the bombing which can be a bit... depressing, but it does sound like quite a nice city as well. Plus I hear they make good okonomiyaki >_>
I have never been there, but if you have the time and energy, I have heard nothing but good things. The Peace Dome Museum (or some similar name) is very moving, I hear. Hiroshima okonomiyaki is different than Osaka okonomiyaki, as it includes yakisoba in the recipe.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2007, 07:16 AM

Which is why I have to try both!

Phew, so this thread is turning into full on advice about where to go, which is great! So here's my plan (which I still have to run past the rest of my group...) so far:

Tokyo: 5
day trip to Karuizawa or Hakuba for some skiing: 1
Hakone: 1
Kyoto: 3
Osaka: 2
day trip to Nara: 1/2 - 1
day trip to Himeji: 1/2
maybe Kobe
maybe Hiroshima

That pretty much fills up our 16 days
(#29 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-08-2007, 07:19 AM

If you are that energized (and can pack light...I mean...think hiker's backpack for everything, and mail things you buy home) it's a good plan.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-08-2007, 07:24 AM

The light part is what I'm worried about >_> Although our plan is to make our bases in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka (with one night in Hakone in between) and just do day trips to nearby cities from those places, so we won't have to move our luggage around too many times. It just means quite a lot of travel time, but I think we can handle it or at worst skip something if it turns out to be too much for us.