JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Fashion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/)
-   -   Why do many japanese want to have white skin? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-fashion/14839-why-do-many-japanese-want-have-white-skin.html)

seiki 06-11-2009 08:24 PM

it's just got to be said. beauty is in the eye of the beholder. be what you want nothing else. just be beautiful/handsome or whatever you want to be that makes you happy.

Barone1551 06-11-2009 11:18 PM

Some of it is historical like said before. If you were tan, it meant that you worked outside and were a farmer. White skin is sometimes seen as more elite. but this is not always true in japan. Why does there have to be a reason to have white skin. You dont ask why does everyone want a tan in the US.

Pike 06-12-2009 12:50 AM

I agree with Barone1551 on this. Thais are the same when it comes to their skin.

Tenchu 06-12-2009 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacKitty89 (Post 469077)
Hey there...

I noticed that many japanese girls and guys want to have white skin. What's so nice about beeing white?

Could somebody explain that to me? Has it to do with the gothloli culture?

Arigatou! :pandasmile:

Gothloli! LOL.

It's because they're racist. It is to do with class structure, mostly. Physical labour jobs require "fun in the sun", where as middle class jobs are indoors. No man wants to be seen married to the farmers daughter when he is trying to socially climb.

Japan is better than most Asian countries. Thailand is a shocker. They plainly think all black people (Africans, Aussie Aboriginals) are simply ugly. But a lot of Japanese still think like that.

As a person mentally advances, they overcome the fear of the sun...

Barone1551 06-12-2009 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchu (Post 733090)
Gothloli! LOL.

It's because they're racist. It is to do with class structure, mostly. Physical labour jobs require "fun in the sun", where as middle class jobs are indoors. No man wants to be seen married to the farmers daughter when he is trying to socially climb.

Japan is better than most Asian countries. Thailand is a shocker. They plainly think all black people (Africans, Aussie Aboriginals) are simply ugly. But a lot of Japanese still think like that.

As a person mentally advances, they overcome the fear of the sun...

I'm not quite sure that means they are racists. They (at least my Japanese friends I cant speak for a whole country) don't equate a tan with being African American. That sounds absurd. I think it simply boils down to what the culture thinks is attractive. It may have roots in history, of why they like pale skin. But those things barely hold true. I know plenty of Japanese girls who are tan and don't get ridiculed. They arent looked down upon. I think in modern times it all has to do with personal preference. We do it all the time here in the US some people want to be tan becuase they think it makes them look healthy. I personally hate getting a lot of sun. I would rather be pale as well, but that in no way makes me racist.

Tenchu 06-12-2009 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barone1551 (Post 733095)
I'm not quite sure that means they are racists. They (at least my Japanese friends I cant speak for a whole country) don't equate a tan with being African American. That sounds absurd. I think it simply boils down to what the culture thinks is attractive. It may have roots in history, of why they like pale skin. But those things barely hold true. I know plenty of Japanese girls who are tan and don't get ridiculed. They arent looked down upon. I think in modern times it all has to do with personal preference. We do it all the time here in the US some people want to be tan becuase they think it makes them look healthy. I personally hate getting a lot of sun. I would rather be pale as well, but that in no way makes me racist.

Yes, I said as you mentally progress, you overcome it.

Japan is progressing, and losing racism, so it isn't so bad anymore. Japanese girls are embracing water sports and Japanese men are still chasing them. Japan is moving on.

But this is why it is so. It is more bad in other Asian countries, especially my home, Thailand. My wife is South Thai, meaning she naturally has extremely dark skin (she looks half African, literally). No Thai man has ever been interested in her. Seriously, for no other reason than her skin color, people think she is ugly.

This isn't tied to culture as much as arrogance. I mean, I never had blacks around when I grew up, nor Asians, but I find both attractive when it's the right girl.

Barone1551 06-12-2009 02:27 AM

Ok I think its just the wording that we are disagreeing on. I dont think it has to do with mentally growing. That implies that as you get smarter the less racist you are. Its just more of a time period thing and as views change. There are smart racist people and vice versa. I think we agree for the most part, I was just kind of confused by the wording you had.

seiki 06-12-2009 02:32 AM

light skin color may have used to mean you were elite but now dark skin means you have time to play or just tan.

Tenchu 06-13-2009 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barone1551 (Post 733114)
Ok I think its just the wording that we are disagreeing on. I dont think it has to do with mentally growing. That implies that as you get smarter the less racist you are. Its just more of a time period thing and as views change. There are smart racist people and vice versa. I think we agree for the most part, I was just kind of confused by the wording you had.

Yeah. I use some colorful words sometimes. It is hard to exactley understand why I say the things I do unless you also have experienced it first hand.

mercedesjin 06-15-2009 04:39 AM

Because that's a basic quality of internalized racism that plagues the world.

Dark skin is beautiful.