xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

04-12-2008, 01:54 AM

you missed the point.

i think it was the

'how can anyone eat this?'

could be seen as EXTREMELY rude.
Repeat what she said aloud to yourself.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
04-12-2008, 03:42 AM

Wow, you guys filled two whole pages complaining about how someone stated their opinion?

Personally, I think natto looks pretty nasty, too. If someone held it out to me and I'd never heard of natto, I'd probably make a face and push it away thinking "who on earth looked at that and thought 'FOOD!'???". It looks that bad, and if the stories are true then it smells like ammonia floor cleaner. Very appetizing :S .

Are you offended?

If yes, good. I've proved that you are way to touchy to be in an internet message board.

I don't think UtakataChan did or said anything wrong.

Masaegu, Yinnie... You guys are taking this a little too seriously -_- . Just 'cause someone thinks a delicacy looks gross, that doesn't make them ethnocentric or biggoted--especially since UtakataChan seems willing to try it when/if she ever gets a chance. So, chiiiill.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
UtakataChan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to UtakataChan
04-12-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
Wow, you guys filled two whole pages complaining about how someone stated their opinion?

Personally, I think natto looks pretty nasty, too. If someone held it out to me and I'd never heard of natto, I'd probably make a face and push it away thinking "who on earth looked at that and thought 'FOOD!'???". It looks that bad, and if the stories are true then it smells like ammonia floor cleaner. Very appetizing :S .

Are you offended?

If yes, good. I've proved that you are way to touchy to be in an internet message board.

I don't think UtakataChan did or said anything wrong.

Masaegu, Yinnie... You guys are taking this a little too seriously -_- . Just 'cause someone thinks a delicacy looks gross, that doesn't make them ethnocentric or biggoted--especially since UtakataChan seems willing to try it when/if she ever gets a chance. So, chiiiill.
Thank you. :]

It really wasn't even my intention to insult anyone and I felt I had gotten my head unjustly bitten off.

うたかた
Beauty & Stupid... Ah-ha-ha!
CLAIMED:
Isshi (Kagrra)
Anza (Head Phones President)
Daishi (Psycho le Cemu)
Aya (Psycho le Cemu)

Shattered Kingdom - A BSSM RPG
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Hyakushi (Offline)
Ikaga desu ka!?

04-12-2008, 06:41 AM

I never had natto it sounds gross to me and look the part as well but I did have stinky tofu quiet a few times and that wasn't that bad even though its put in a rotting paste and left there for gods know how long XD. Ive eat'n worser looking things so it can't be all bad, even kimchi is left in a jar for a long time and thats just old lettus XD. Then again people say dog is nasty too but I liked it, guess it just depends on what your into.

I'm not racist . . . I hate everyone equally.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-12-2008, 07:50 AM

As one who considers natto and one of my all time favorite vegetables, I can still understand anyone's revulsion on their first encounter. There are plenty of foods that I have had an extremely hard time taking the first taste of. As a kid I could not handle anything that had even been in the vicinty of sour cream. My father trained foreign pilots and every country seems to have at least a few foods that outsiders find thoroughly objectionable.

But I suggest that an effort be made to get over it and try a taste. Just one bite. I disagee with the wikipedia's description of it smell. It is nothing akin to ammonia! It smells exactly like what its most plentiful nutrient is - niacin (B vitamin). If you have ever noticed the funky smell of a multivitamin that has lots vitamin B or cod liver oil, that is the scent. And some people don't like that.

First timers need to be sure its good natto. I have had some that was dried out and probably old. Perhaps have it in a sushi roll with a little ume (salted plum) or perilla leaf. Some people like it combined with tuna, and that may be a good idea because the reason I don't like that combination is that the tuna overshadows the natto taste. Yes its stringy and sticky (aka sticky beans) but the stringier it is the better the flavor should be.

If you have an local Asian market, you should find it in the freezer case in packs of 3 small containers. I put one serving in the micro for about 1-2 min and then eat it with hot rice and shredded nori, with a little mustard (usually in the packet).

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
UtakataChan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to UtakataChan
04-13-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
As one who considers natto and one of my all time favorite vegetables, I can still understand anyone's revulsion on their first encounter. There are plenty of foods that I have had an extremely hard time taking the first taste of. As a kid I could not handle anything that had even been in the vicinty of sour cream. My father trained foreign pilots and every country seems to have at least a few foods that outsiders find thoroughly objectionable.

But I suggest that an effort be made to get over it and try a taste. Just one bite. I disagee with the wikipedia's description of it smell. It is nothing akin to ammonia! It smells exactly like what its most plentiful nutrient is - niacin (B vitamin). If you have ever noticed the funky smell of a multivitamin that has lots vitamin B or cod liver oil, that is the scent. And some people don't like that.

First timers need to be sure its good natto. I have had some that was dried out and probably old. Perhaps have it in a sushi roll with a little ume (salted plum) or perilla leaf. Some people like it combined with tuna, and that may be a good idea because the reason I don't like that combination is that the tuna overshadows the natto taste. Yes its stringy and sticky (aka sticky beans) but the stringier it is the better the flavor should be.

If you have an local Asian market, you should find it in the freezer case in packs of 3 small containers. I put one serving in the micro for about 1-2 min and then eat it with hot rice and shredded nori, with a little mustard (usually in the packet).
Thank you for the tips! I have indeed found an asian market in my city and I will try to see if they have some.

うたかた
Beauty & Stupid... Ah-ha-ha!
CLAIMED:
Isshi (Kagrra)
Anza (Head Phones President)
Daishi (Psycho le Cemu)
Aya (Psycho le Cemu)

Shattered Kingdom - A BSSM RPG
(#27 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
04-13-2008, 05:04 PM

=.='''
natto ish annoying >.<'''
like...whenever trying to put it into a bloody roll =OO
the thing sticks to teh spoon so bad ;_;
and then after cutting the roll...you have to wash the knife and spoon and cutting board and bamboo mat..like immediately (which ish quite cumbersome when there are about 4 other orders waiting x.x'')

buut nee =D
other than that, natto ish quite lovely x3
though to this one, it smells a tad like ammonia >.>'
this one is quite interested in trying it <3
=D
despite working w/ it most everyday...this one has yet to gobble a spoonful x.x'

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

04-13-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post

*droool* x.x

(#29 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)

Natto x] how do you enjoy it?~ - 04-21-2008, 01:37 AM

Soo...how do the people of JF enjoy THEIR natto? x]

Personally, this one loves it in a maki~ w/ thinly sliced negi, shaved katsuo, dab of hon-wasabi, and a pinch of goma :3

(that's fermented soy beans in a roll w/ green onions, bonito shavings, real wasabi, and sesame )

(#30 (permalink))
Old
Drend (Offline)
The Unfortunate Otaku

04-21-2008, 02:22 AM

They're beans, right? I'm not a big fan of beans (as in, I haven't ever had any, EVER, but I assume they taste bad even though they probably don't -picky to the MAX-), how do they taste?