JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
03-09-2009, 11:28 PM

Hahaha. What state are you from, Tturtle? New York?

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

06-23-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobora View Post
There is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Is that much soysauce bad for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Soy sauce has an incredible amount of sodium. A teaspoon is supposedly about 1000 to 1200mg of sodium.
Being as the recommended daily intake is between 1000 and 3000, using tons is definitely pretty bad for you.
I'm just now seeing this thread, so I'm very late. I was going to say about the sodium content.

{I used to put salt on pretty much everything, til I found out how bad it is.
Now I don't use it at all. and I because of that really notice when something has lots of salt in it.}

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#43 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

06-24-2009, 12:28 AM

I guess creative michelin styled japanese food would pretty much go against everyone's wishes here? Like nobu?

you know the REALLY CREATIVE stuff.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

06-24-2009, 03:00 AM

My bff made sushi for my birthday a few years ago... It seriously looked BEAUTIFUL and it was so nice and tasted good.

The next day most of the people who ate it and I got sick.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#45 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to RKitagawa
06-24-2009, 04:14 AM

I personally mix wasabi with the soy sauce, and then lightly dip the sushi in. I heard from someone that you shouldn't do this? is that true?

I sometimes also put a piece of gari (pickled ginger) on top of my sushi. Is that weird? I know the gari is meant to be eaten afterwards, but I think it works nicely on top.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

06-24-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKitagawa View Post
I personally mix wasabi with the soy sauce, and then lightly dip the sushi in. I heard from someone that you shouldn't do this? is that true?

I sometimes also put a piece of gari (pickled ginger) on top of my sushi. Is that weird? I know the gari is meant to be eaten afterwards, but I think it works nicely on top.
You're someone I'd avoid going to eat sushi with in Japan.

A refined diner would do neither of those.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
RKitagawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to RKitagawa
06-24-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
You're someone I'd avoid going to eat sushi with in Japan.

A refined diner would do neither of those.
haha, I was worried someone would say that.
Alright then, I will change my terrible sushi eating ways.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
Reavyn (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2009, 07:08 AM

I never put soy sauce on my sushi. Not a big fan of that much salt no matter how little soy sauce it is.

I've been wondering also, in America, the small Japanese restaurants usually pour teriyaki sauce over the meat while it sits on the rice. Is this something they do in Japan also? I always thought the rice was eaten plain in most places. As I can't stand to get the teriyaki sauce on my rice. Also, I've seen many people mix the teriyaki and shrimp sauce in with their rice until it's blackish pink. Just...yuck.

As for pizza, in America there just seems to be a lack of topping choices in most places like Domino's and Pizza Hut. I'd love to try many of the toppings they use in Japan, and would even try the mayonnaise pizza's. I guess it's because I'm not really a fan of tomato based sauces though.

And honestly, I don't think it's possible to mess up many American dishes, as many Americans always do. The amount of ketchup I've seen some people put on everything they eat is just appalling. All they taste is the ketchup. Or even salt...they don't ever taste the actual food.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2009, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reavyn View Post
I never put soy sauce on my sushi. Not a big fan of that much salt no matter how little soy sauce it is.

I've been wondering also, in America, the small Japanese restaurants usually pour teriyaki sauce over the meat while it sits on the rice. Is this something they do in Japan also? I always thought the rice was eaten plain in most places. As I can't stand to get the teriyaki sauce on my rice. Also, I've seen many people mix the teriyaki and shrimp sauce in with their rice until it's blackish pink. Just...yuck.

As for pizza, in America there just seems to be a lack of topping choices in most places like Domino's and Pizza Hut. I'd love to try many of the toppings they use in Japan, and would even try the mayonnaise pizza's. I guess it's because I'm not really a fan of tomato based sauces though.

And honestly, I don't think it's possible to mess up many American dishes, as many Americans always do. The amount of ketchup I've seen some people put on everything they eat is just appalling. All they taste is the ketchup. Or even salt...they don't ever taste the actual food.
Not sure if your talking about Japanese style pizza or just pizza make in Japan. But I love Japanese style pizza (okonomiyaki). I like the Hiroshima style better than the Osaka style, although both are awesome. And this can be attributed to where I ate each respective okonomiyaki. The Hiroshima place could have just been better.

And I have to agree with most people here. Most of the Japanese food atrocities that I have witnessed usually revolve around sushi. And it usually has to do with over saucing things. Although I have witnessed the wasabi mixing in with the soy sauce too.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
SaintKat (Offline)
Veni Vidi Vicious

06-24-2009, 10:57 AM

Actually, yeah.

I don't know how common it is, but I've been to a few Japanese restaurants/bars/eateries in NZ and some of them will have tuna in the sushi menu. When it arrives at the table it's from a can and often costs the same or more per piece than the fresh stuff.

All good if you like the canned variety, I just get pissed off when I have to pay same as fresh is all.

Nobody is perfect.
I am nobody.
Therefore, I am perfect.