JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mazzy (Offline)
New to JF

So, what do poor folk eat in Japan, and what can be done with rice? - 01-29-2011, 02:09 AM

I'm curious what the 'cheap eats' in Japan are for the teenage/young adults living on their own? I'm also interested in any fast and cheap ways to flavor or make dishes with plain rice. I've been eating it a lot lately since I can precook large batches and shovel in rice on the go, but it needs something besides salt. Soy sauce doesn't fit well with plain rice to me, and from what I understand, in Japan you're not traditionally supposed to eat say sauce on white rice, although I could be mistaken.

Anyways, cheap and fast meal ideas, please!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2011, 03:08 AM

Furikake, Natto

retort pack Curry

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff

Last edited by siokan : 01-29-2011 at 03:11 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-29-2011, 04:49 AM

Tamago gohan!
seriously, rice, an egg, soya sauce, done.

you can skip the soya sauce if you want... but that's heresy, only tell your closest friends ^^b

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.

Last edited by RealJames : 01-29-2011 at 04:51 AM. Reason: adding the pic
(#4 (permalink))
Old
steel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2011, 05:25 AM

If you're a kid, you might be 'allowed' to add soy sauce to your rice, but as an adult, it is seen as a low-class thing to do. Or, some see it as something a Chinese person might do (as I have been told).

Instead, Japanese have a solution ... furikake in all sorts of varieties and flavors including ones for kids. They come in small individual-sized sachets or small shaker jars that you can use to sprinkle on top of your rice.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-29-2011, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
If you're a kid, you might be 'allowed' to add soy sauce to your rice, but as an adult, it is seen as a low-class thing to do. Or, some see it as something a Chinese person might do (as I have been told).

Instead, Japanese have a solution ... furikake in all sorts of varieties and flavors including ones for kids. They come in small individual-sized sachets or small shaker jars that you can use to sprinkle on top of your rice.
No child in Japan would ask or want to put soy sauce on white rice.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-29-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
No child in Japan would ask or want to put soy sauce on white rice.
You need to be around some more kids in Japan.

It`s one of those things kids regularly ask for, or try to do themselves... And get yelled at by parents.
My own son, who has never actually had rice with soy sauce alone, will ask for it. The conversation usually goes;

卵しょうゆごはん食べたい~
ごめん、卵なくなってる。後で買いに行こうね
じゃ、しょうゆだけごはん食べたい!
だめ、ふりかけにしようよ。
えー しょうゆだけがいいのに~~

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

01-29-2011, 05:50 AM

Just buy a pack of what you see in my avatar and sprinkle it on your rice.

Pouring soy sauce on the rice is the last thing you would want to do. You won't live long if you do that for all that sodium.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-29-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
You need to be around some more kids in Japan.

It`s one of those things kids regularly ask for, or try to do themselves... And get yelled at by parents.
My own son, who has never actually had rice with soy sauce alone, will ask for it.
I wonder if it is regional. I asked two Kansai moms before posting, both knew Americans had a strange habit of doing it, but had never heard of a child asking or a parent allowing it in Japan.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-29-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I wonder if it is regional. I asked two Kansai moms before posting, both knew Americans had a strange habit of doing it, but had never heard of a child asking or a parent allowing it in Japan.
I highly doubt that it is regional, because parents do not allow it around here. I`ve never seen or heard of a parent allowing it - but I`ve seen plenty of kids ask and try to do it. Obviously it`s going to to depend on the kid, but I doubt it`s uncommon. I`ve seen the same thing up on the northern coast.
It`s just like licking up the soy sauce left after eating sushi, or wanting to eat furikake straight from the pack (with no rice). Doctors get a huge number of children coming in who drank whole bottle (table sized) of soy sauce. Kids just like the salty flavor, I guess. It doesn`t really have much to do with whether parents allow it or not.

It`s not something parents are going to brag about, but it happens. I think it`s also something that parents tend to forget about. A mom in our building took her younger daughter to the hospital about 6 months ago because she poured the whole bottle of soy sauce on her rice and drank the "soup". Even after throwing up because of it, the little girl kept asking for the "soup" and they had to hide all the soy sauce. The older sister consistently requested it because she liked the soy sauce parts of egg and soy sauce rice, but not the egg parts.
But fairly recently, she was asking me about whether it`s true that people overseas put it directly on their rice because NO Japanese person ever would, not even little kids, because they all know better. Umm... What about your daughters? She`d totally forgotten about it. They knew better now.

I am thinking kindergarten level, not older children. The local kindergartens and care centers make a point to not have soy sauce on hand (and ask to not put any in lunches) as the smaller kids will try to drink it straight or use it in parent-horrifying ways like squirting it straight on their rice.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 01-29-2011 at 06:30 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-29-2011, 08:02 AM

and yet if there's a raw egg on it then you can add all the soya sauce you want ll

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.