JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
AryaSyailindra (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to AryaSyailindra
09-30-2007, 08:54 PM

i like sushi and ramen, but my favorite are unagi(eel), chicken katsu, and miso soup

just writting them made me hungry, harahetta

Hello and i wish all of you have a Good Day
(#12 (permalink))
Old
EChan (Offline)
Wants to eat your head

10-01-2007, 01:58 PM

Aww!<3 You can make some sushi rolls(kappamaki is great!), then something good tea, and natto(that bean...thing: D), and karee raisu(that's curry). Onigiris(Riceballs) are great too. You can fill them with chicken and tunafish. You find some recipes here.

(#13 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-03-2007, 08:53 AM

Try kara'age (Japanese fried chicken), tonkatsu (Japanese pork cutlet), donburi (meat, onions, and egg over rice), zosui (meat, veggie, and rice stew), and yakisoba (Japanese chow mein). Those were all staple foods for me when I lived over in Japan because I don't like sushi. There's actually a lot of Japanese food that's fully cooked.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
bloodsinger (Offline)
I'm in pieces

Send a message via MSN to bloodsinger
10-03-2007, 09:30 AM

You shold eat sashimi, unagi and teriyaki. They are really good

Riding the waves
Looking up at the sun
Feeling the heat beating down on my back
It makes me feel alive
Even for just that short while
I can see the light
Guiding Me

JFの家族
Sister to Tsuzuki
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Lien (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Lien
10-03-2007, 09:42 AM

i'm hungry .. *sigh*

(#16 (permalink))
Old
Tsuzuki (Offline)
冷血の私生児

Send a message via ICQ to Tsuzuki Send a message via MSN to Tsuzuki Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuzuki Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuzuki
10-05-2007, 01:20 PM

ギャー(*0*((◎—————ー(°°; ) スッポヌケ〜
✿ あなた だけ が みれば いい... 狂気と真実は紙一重 ✿

そして坊やは眠りについて 息衝く灰の中の炎ひとつ、ふたつと 浮かぶふくらみ愛しい横顔 大地に垂るる幾千の夢、夢 銀の瞳のゆら(◕‿‿◕ )
It's a thin line between genius and stupidity. Once you cross it there is no going back!! Luckily I have tippex and a pen so I can just redraw it where I like!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA =_=

†♫†
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Pllgt2 (Offline)
New to JF

10-05-2007, 06:11 PM

there is this octopus ball which is really good too...

(#18 (permalink))
Old
animelover18 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to animelover18
10-08-2007, 08:06 PM

thnx r any of those desserts and if u have the recipes or a good place that sales them that would be great...but thnx 4 ur feedback it's been alot of help

if to love you is such a crime bring me to prison that way my flighted wings won't fail to go to you and our souls reunite...only whipser my name and i shall appear...the promises we made will never go unbroken for that is what my love is...
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Shaelyn (Offline)
Fae of DOOM!

Send a message via AIM to Shaelyn
10-08-2007, 09:51 PM

you can get instant yakisoba at wal-mart, or if you go out to eat, this place called Samurai Sam's has it...they seem to have a lot of vietnamese food too. it's like ramen.

hummm...

do you put anything in your ramen? a lot of people I know just eat whatever's in the cup...but I put fish cake, shrimp balls, etc. in with it. they have every kind of frozen ball under the sun to put in there...just make sure the stuff's pre-cooked, and thaw it (I store it in the fridge), and throw it in - the hot water warms it.

miso soup is just that - a soup. there's some instant soup mixes out there, but what you can do is get the soup base from the refridgerated section...and put whatever you want in there. there's three different kinds of soup bases...wikipedia's got some info on it. you can pretty much do anything with it.

daifuku is awesome - it's a sweet rice cake - a kind of mochi (mochi isn't always sweet though). the kind I get is strawberry (ichigo)-filled. you can find it at the snack aisle typically.

hummm...what's Japanese curry like? I've never had it...I typically get either Vietnamese or Indian curry...Vietnamese is my favorite ^_^

thnx boboloko for the sig!
(#20 (permalink))
Old
waterlilly (Offline)
New to JF

Arrow 10-10-2007, 04:42 PM

Animelover:

The idea of eating something raw is far worse than the reality. Good fresh sushi and sashimi is better than the most tender fillet mignon. When raw fish is fresh it has no "fishy" taste at all, iin fact its delicate and melts in your mouth. When I was 5 my mom took me to a japanese restaurant. She ordered sashimi - which is small squares of raw fish with no rice or seaweed- and as any 5 year old would I teased her "eewww! how can you eat RAW fish!?!?! That's disgusting!!!". Good old mom challenged me "How do you know its yucky unless you've tried it?" and offered me a pink, glossy slab of raw salmon to try. Determined to prove that it was yucky, I ate it and was shocked to find that it was the most delicious thing I'd ever eaten. Instead of spitting it out and saying "eeew!!!" I asked my mom for another piece!!!

I'd also like to point out that all raw fish in the united states is flash frozen to kill any potential parasites. You don't have to worry about getting sick, unless the sushi is stale- you'd be able to tell by the smell, if smells like canned tuna its stale. Good fresh fish should have the pleasant scent of the ocean.

Sadly I don't know of any places in Albany, but if you ever take the train down to NYC I can recommend a few places. If a restaurant is out of the question due to budget, there's a japanese grocery store in NYC called Sunrise Mart. You can find all sorts of food as well as mochi!! There's also a place that sells yakisoba and takoyaki, which are gooey fried dough and cheese balls with a piece of octopus inside- it's soooo good!!!

I love cha-soba, its soba buckwheat noodles flavored with green tea, its sometimes served cold with a dippping sauce. You can't go wrong with tempura, batter fried shrimp and veggies. If you like tofu, a very good inexpensive appetizer is "agedashi tofu", its deep fried tofu cubes in a very nice dipping broth with fresh grated ginger and daikon (japanese radish). Broild eel is very good, I forgot the japanese name for it, but its another tasty treat that doesn't taste fishy at all. Japanese food will give you a fondness for seafood like never before.

If you are open minded enough to try sushi/sashimi, I'd start out with salmon, hamachi (yellowtail tuna) and toro (tuna). Those are the basics and most novice friendly. Once you've adjusted your palette, you can move on to other things. Also, if you have the chance to try monkfish liver, try it!! It tastes like lobster!!