JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Cussing & 高校生 - 12-23-2007, 04:31 AM

Is cussing for them in Japan as prevalent as much as it is in the United States and Canada?

Cussing isn't really a big topic as I've noticed from my search results on JF. It almost seems as if it's taboo!

I
沖縄           My blog
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-23-2007, 04:45 AM

There isn't really "cussing" in Japan. There are right and wrong ways to speak to a teacher, but there aren't "swear words" in the same way we have in English.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2007, 04:52 AM

Oh, I see. I guess it all comes down to the social part of the language--respect? I've watched some Japanese T.V. shows and I see a cuss word slipped into the subtitles every now and then and was wondering about that. Seems like those parts of the subs are more of a localization rather than a true translation.

If there are swear words, but not in the same way in English, could you explain how they're different?

I
沖縄           My blog
(#4 (permalink))
Old
danslak (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2007, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Oh, I see. I guess it all comes down to the social part of the language--respect? I've watched some Japanese T.V. shows and I see a cuss word slipped into the subtitles every now and then and was wondering about that. Seems like those parts of the subs are more of a localization rather than a true translation.

If there are swear words, but not in the same way in English, could you explain how they're different?
Well, they might translate as "swear" words on a subtitle, but it sort of depends on the context. Like ikkene! might translate as "Oh, shit, I screwed up bad!" But literally means "it's not good!". Or "neboken ja neeyo!" means "you're half asleep!" Could translate to, if said harshly, "Pull your head out of your ass!" I can't think of any Japanese words that translate straight over from English swear words.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2007, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danslak View Post
Well, they might translate as "swear" words on a subtitle, but it sort of depends on the context. Like ikkene! might translate as "Oh, shit, I screwed up bad!" But literally means "it's not good!". Or "neboken ja neeyo!" means "you're half asleep!" Could translate to, if said harshly, "Pull your head out of your ass!" I can't think of any Japanese words that translate straight over from English swear words.
Thanks.

The main reason I'm asking this is because I don't want to end up asking a dumb question when I go on exchange next year IF they did really have bad language like we do here.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#6 (permalink))
Old
danslak (Offline)
JF Regular

12-23-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Thanks.

The main reason I'm asking this is because I don't want to end up asking a dumb question when I go on exchange next year IF they did really have bad language like we do here.
don't worry about that! I've asked plenty of dumb questions (as if there IS such a thing!) including the one you just asked. I discovered one thing: The Japanese loved to be asked about their language and culture and are, in my experience, always grateful to teach! Never be afraid to ask about language and what the customs are especially!
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-23-2007, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danslak View Post
don't worry about that! I've asked plenty of dumb questions (as if there IS such a thing!) including the one you just asked. I discovered one thing: The Japanese loved to be asked about their language and culture and are, in my experience, always grateful to teach! Never be afraid to ask about language and what the customs are especially!
I agree. Questions like this often lead to entire dinnertable discussions...don't worry!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
SailorBratt18 (Offline)
grrrr to you too buddy!

12-23-2007, 06:28 AM

Aww you're so luck to get to be an exchange student! Yes, I agree with MMM and Danslak. It all depends on the context in which your'e using it for. So yeah, I wouldn't really worry about it. And hey, if you slip up then at least you'll get a good laugh out of it right?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2007, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the replies.

@danslak
That's definitely true about many Japanese.

@MMM
lol.. I don't know about having cuss words at the dinner table. But, yes, I see what you're saying. I'll probably have the largest conversations over the smallest things while I'm there

@SailorBratt18
Laughing at dumb questions is probably universal

I
沖縄           My blog
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Katchan6 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-23-2007, 07:26 AM

just dont call girls "busu"

「えっ、知らないの? ずくだんずんぶんぐんゲーム。」