JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   How to enable Japanese characters on your PC (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/11338-how-enable-japanese-characters-your-pc.html)

YoshimiTheEthereal 06-01-2009 05:51 AM

Is there a way to do this without the OS disc? I don't know where mine is.

Miyavifan 06-07-2009 08:06 PM

I'm using my mom's comp right now, but Japanese doesn't show up, and she doesn't have the CD.

on my comp at home, I had downloaded a program that lets the Japanese show up how it's supposed to, but I can't remember what program it is.
Can anyone help me?

I had thought the program was mentioned at this forum, but I can't find the post.

Columbine 06-19-2009 10:51 PM

Can anyone help- I bought an apple Mac Laptop lately with the latest Microsoft office for Mac installed on it, and I know there is a way to pull up a kind of sketch box so you can draw in kanji and convert the scribble to text typing without having to input actual hiragana. Very useful if you can't read the kanji, or there's no furigana. My problem is that although i'm certain the function is there, I can't find it. On PC it's on the language tool bar but it's somewhere else on Mac and the search doesn't find it either. Anyone know what I mean and how to use it on Mac?

Routetosomewhere 08-30-2009 08:50 PM

aren't you supposed to install the Japanese Language IME from the Microsoft site?
Does anyone know how to add Furigana to kanji in Word and other programs???
Cheers,

Will

Orochitachi 08-30-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Routetosomewhere (Post 766498)
aren't you supposed to install the Japanese Language IME from the Microsoft site?
Does anyone know how to add Furigana to kanji in Word and other programs???
Cheers,

Will

Here's what I did, as u mentioned above, i downloaded the IME Japanese language pack update.

Then i used control pale to add the japanese keyboard. ( cant bother type the steps here, but u'll find it under regional and laguage)

then once that was done, I opened word07 and then before I started typing I pressed Alt+shift to switch to japanese keyboard, then alt+` to get hiragana/katakana.

ps...kanji shoudl automatically fill in , i think it just converts itself to kanji( atleast that happens when I type.)

the only problem is that I have not managed to get the space as yet.

Orochitachi 08-30-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orochitachi (Post 766502)
Here's what I did, as u mentioned above, i downloaded the IME Japanese language pack update.

Then i used control pale to add the japanese keyboard. ( cant bother type the steps here, but u'll find it under regional and laguage)

then once that was done, I opened word07 and then before I started typing I pressed Alt+shift to switch to japanese keyboard, then alt+` to get hiragana/katakana.

ps...kanji shoudl automatically fill in , i think it just converts itself to kanji( atleast that happens when I type.)

the only problem is that I have not managed to get the space as yet.

There was some typo's.

pale, should be panel and laguage, shouldl be language....
I guess the need for sleep is kicking in; i can't focus.

ReHaM 09-05-2009 12:43 AM

its beautiful

thank you:)

yuriyuri 11-17-2009 09:34 AM

For those who do not have a disc to install Japanese characters but can at least see them, go here:
(Works best in firefox for me)
Ajax IME: Web-based Japanese Input Method

Enjoy.

OzukakiBurasuki 11-30-2009 06:28 AM

Hmmm... I have a question.

I have IME enabled for Windows XP and everything, but I was wondering something. I could have sworn I heard Nyorin saying once that you could use that IME to type romaji, which would turn to hiragana, then onto kanji/katakana. I was wondering how you do that because it is really confusing to have to memorize where all of the hiragana are on the Japanese-layout (ex. q = た). How would you do this?

MMM 11-30-2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzukakiBurasuki (Post 785783)
Hmmm... I have a question.

I have IME enabled for Windows XP and everything, but I was wondering something. I could have sworn I heard Nyorin saying once that you could use that IME to type romaji, which would turn to hiragana, then onto kanji/katakana. I was wondering how you do that because it is really confusing to have to memorize where all of the hiragana are on the Japanese-layout (ex. q = た). How would you do this?

My IME doesn't work like that at all. I switch my keyboard to japanese then set to hiragana, then type. Romaji change to hiragana, then a hit on the space bar gives me kanji options.

OzukakiBurasuki 11-30-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 785787)
My IME doesn't work like that at all. I switch my keyboard to japanese then set to hiragana, then type. Romaji change to hiragana, then a hit on the space bar gives me kanji options.

Well, for some reason, when I do ALT + Shift and then ALT + `, it won't allow me to do it your way, but instead makes my keyboard the Japanese kana layout. I've been looking on google with tutorials and still can't figure out how to change it to the IME that you are using. ><

chryuop 11-30-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzukakiBurasuki (Post 785881)
Well, for some reason, when I do ALT + Shift and then ALT + `, it won't allow me to do it your way, but instead makes my keyboard the Japanese kana layout. I've been looking on google with tutorials and still can't figure out how to change it to the IME that you are using. ><

I am not sure if that is the problem, but it might help.
Since you have XP like me you should have the same box opening. Click on the first icon of the box, the one which looks like a red ballon. Click on properties and select General tab (should be already there by default). Look at the first option of the list and it says Input Method. For some reason that I don't know you have selectsed Hiragana or Kana (don't recall what it says). Switch it to romaji and you will be fine.

Edit. Thank you LOL. To solve your problem I finally found the 「」and I can stop using " ". I hated writing in Japanese and couldn't be able to use 「」LOL.

OzukakiBurasuki 12-01-2009 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chryuop (Post 785885)
I am not sure if that is the problem, but it might help.
Since you have XP like me you should have the same box opening. Click on the first icon of the box, the one which looks like a red ballon. Click on properties and select General tab (should be already there by default). Look at the first option of the list and it says Input Method. For some reason that I don't know you have selectsed Hiragana or Kana (don't recall what it says). Switch it to romaji and you will be fine.

Edit. Thank you LOL. To solve your problem I finally found the 「」and I can stop using " ". I hated writing in Japanese and couldn't be able to use 「」LOL.

It finally worked. :D

ありがとうございます。

Yuzuyukichan 12-16-2009 02:57 AM

ok what about windowns vista?

Ryuk999 12-16-2009 05:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yuzuyukichan (Post 790112)
ok what about windowns vista?

I have Windows 7 but I believe it's quite a similar route...

1) control panel
2) clock, language, and region
3) region and language
4) keyboards and languages
5) change keyboards
6) click "add"
7) scroll down to "japanese"
8) select Microsoft IME
9) click OK in the "add input language tab"
10) go to "language bar" tab in the text services and input languages window
11) it should look similar to this(look at pic) and then click OK
*Last step* in the lower right corner you should see something that says "EN" click on it and you'll get a list of Japanese to type in and enjoy ^_^

FuzzyxPanda 12-26-2009 08:03 PM

Well, when I got my laptop I didn't get the Vista CDs. I don't know why. Is there a way to do this without the CDs?

FuzzyxPanda 12-26-2009 08:19 PM

Nevermind XD

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyxPanda (Post 791625)
Well, when I got my laptop I didn't get the Vista CDs. I don't know why. Is there a way to do this without the CDs?

Nevermind, I got it. XD Sorry about that. :)

Harichan92 01-31-2010 02:17 AM

How do you set in up in order to type out japanese characters?

KyleGoetz 01-31-2010 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harichan92 (Post 797629)

What OS are you running? Also, your answer is likely answered in this thread already.

StonerPenguin 01-31-2010 07:41 AM

I'm sure this has probably been asked else where but, IME users, how do you switch between typing English and Japanese? I'm finding that I need to switch often between the two when doing subs and clicking the top menu bar thing every two seconds is kinda annoying :P How do you set up a short-cut key for that and what short cut key works the best for you? :ywave:

KyleGoetz 01-31-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StonerPenguin (Post 797658)
I'm sure this has probably been asked else where but, IME users, how do you switch between typing English and Japanese? I'm finding that I need to switch often between the two when doing subs and clicking the top menu bar thing every two seconds is kinda annoying :P How do you set up a short-cut key for that and what short cut key works the best for you? :ywave:

I used Alt+~ on my Windows box. It's configured in the language options like everything else IIRC.
On my Mac, I use command+shift+~. It's configured the exact same place you enable languages.

han2007 03-02-2010 03:43 PM

tell me how to enable japanese font or character in linux

wfwsc 03-08-2010 10:01 PM

I need that too...help :)

KyleGoetz 03-09-2010 12:16 AM

Installing Japanese Language Support in Linux
I'd help more directly, but I haven't run Linux in years, so I don't remember. I'll put it this way: if you can't figure out with Google how to install Japanese support for Linux, then maybe you aren't skilled enough to be running Linux in the first place.

dyasgita 03-19-2010 03:11 PM

You can download WAKAN, a freeware tool for Japanese and Chinese language learners for Windows. Includes character dictionary, word dictionary, editor with kanji. you can download it in :
WaKan Project Website - Download
Its very usefull....
:D

timonippon 03-20-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harichan92 (Post 797629)

There's a few different ways to type in Japanese, there is third party software such as the Google Japanese IME, but most people can get by with the IME built into windows.

Here's a good guide on setting up Japanese typing for different versions of Windows:
Typing In Japanese : SakuraBranch.com

You can also look for some of the online IME's available such as Ajax IME: Web-based Japanese Input Method

I hope this helps. :)

MMM 04-19-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultimatebowser (Post 808917)
戸土音windows vista, フィrst,ヨウcィck オンsタrttジェンヨウ cィckオンコンtロパネ、ヨウcィckオンコンtロ lパネl、テェンcィckオンclick on ァングアゲ、cォckアンdレギオンFrom there, you click on チャンゲケyボアrdsイfヨウcィckテェbゥエテ xtベォwテェァングアゲオpチオン。。テェンヨウc ィckオンチャンゲケyボアrdオrチャンゲァ ングアゲセッチンgsデペンヂンgオンウァ tヨウcィcケdインControl panel。 てぇん用cぃckてぇじゃぱ寝せラング上げ雪隠g案d 背tうp亜ラング上げ十l場r。戸背tうp亜ラング上 げ十l場r、ウェll、ふぃぐれ意t王t、べかうせ意 ドンtkのw歩wと度いt。I ほぺてゃtティsへl psよう!

I am not deleting the post yet, I just want to know...how?

KyleGoetz 04-19-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 808925)
I am not deleting the post yet, I just want to know...how?

wwwwwwwwww

defmute 06-17-2010 08:38 AM

有賀とみなさんまたね

LelouchviBritannia 06-18-2010 07:45 PM

Japanese Input on Windows XP

THE BEST DESCRIPTION to INSTALL and USE your new enabled language pack.
And if any one has problems I have the language pack if you need it just PM and let me know

princessmarisa 09-14-2010 06:46 PM

As people who like Japan a bit too much tend to be towards the nerd side of the spectrum of life, I thought it best to include a guide for the most popular linux distros out there, those based on Ubuntu :D

Guide for Japanese input on Linuxmint (Ubuntu based OS)

Tested and working fine on linuxmint 9 Isadora, so should work fine for Ubuntu 10 Lucid Lynx

in language support
  • Install/Remove languages
  • Tick Japanese and ensure all components are marked, at the least Input Methods & extra fonts.

back on language support main tab
  • select input method ibus
  • use package manager and search for and install anthy and all reqd dependancies (or sudo apt-get install anthy)

find ibus prefrences GUI in your main prefrences menu
  • select an input method \/
  • Japanese > Anthy
  • (may need to press add)
  • in the first tab it is useful to select show icon in system tray and also set your shortcuts for enable/disable
  • default is ctl + space to switch from Japanese back to Default
  • hit close, restart and enjoy :)

knarF 01-05-2011 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmarisa (Post 829086)
As people who like Japan a bit too much tend to be towards the nerd side of the spectrum of life, I thought it best to include a guide for the most popular linux distros out there, those based on Ubuntu :D

Guide for Japanese input on Linuxmint (Ubuntu based OS)

Tested and working fine on linuxmint 9 Isadora, so should work fine for Ubuntu 10 Lucid Lynx

in language support
  • Install/Remove languages
  • Tick Japanese and ensure all components are marked, at the least Input Methods & extra fonts.

back on language support main tab
  • select input method ibus
  • use package manager and search for and install anthy and all reqd dependancies (or sudo apt-get install anthy)

find ibus prefrences GUI in your main prefrences menu
  • select an input method \/
  • Japanese > Anthy
  • (may need to press add)
  • in the first tab it is useful to select show icon in system tray and also set your shortcuts for enable/disable
  • default is ctl + space to switch from Japanese back to Default
  • hit close, restart and enjoy :)

Thank you, i actually opened this thread to ask an easy way to do it on Ubuntu, i will be doing this later.

siokan 01-05-2011 08:42 PM

When you see the ASCII art of Japan

Win : MS PGothic

Mac : MS PGothic
(MS office trial install)

Unix : IPA Mona PGothic 
IPAモナーフォント
opfc-ModuleHP-1.1.1_withIPAMonaFonts-1.0.8.tar.gz

Raijingusan 01-06-2011 12:49 AM

Installing Japanese Language On Windows 7

1.Click on Start Button and type updates,wait for the results and if you spot "Check For Updates" click on it

2.New explorer window will appear,again click on "Check For Updates" and wait for a while.

3.Then click on "xx Optional updates are avaible",from list tick - Japanese Language pack,and return to previous window by clicking on Ok,now you can click on "Install Updates". Wait till file will download and your pc will reboot.

(I already have installed japanese language pack so it doesnt shows in list anymore)

Now you should be able to read japanese characters on your computer,Hiragana,Katakana And Kanji as well.

Sorry for my english :)

princessmarisa 01-12-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knarF (Post 845102)
Thank you, i actually opened this thread to ask an easy way to do it on Ubuntu, i will be doing this later.

Welcome, please post back if you find another/better way or if it is slightly different for your version of Ubuntu.

juba 09-24-2011 04:41 PM

thanks i use windows 7 evreything is ok. i am new to japanese :)

Toast 10-25-2011 01:56 PM

I'm using the Microsoft IME, and it's all good but it's a random character to key. Is there no way to just be able to type 'ha' on the keyboard and get the symbol?

FRMNL 03-31-2016 12:35 PM

Very helpfull topic. I'm gonna try.

linhnguyen92 10-17-2017 02:30 AM

need help

Can u guys tell me how can i active Japanese characters on Mac OS.:confused: Thanks.