LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-20-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
Hmm, last time I was around 3 year old kids was probably when I was that age lol. I just find it hard to believe they could be fluent but I guess that's how it goes...
Oh, you'd be very surprised at how complex their thinking is and how original they can be in communicating ideas they haven't learned formally yet.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
HYDfan (Offline)
Massu is love

02-21-2008, 01:45 AM

PLEASE don't try to learn Japanese just by watching dramas and anime! Please. I am begging you! Get books, CDs, Tapes, more books, software, flashcards, children's books in Japanese, teachers, classes, podcasts, websites, etc. Dramas and anime and music are all excellent resources for listening to the language, but you have to be actively engaged in it somehow. It's not like in the Matrix where you can learn it all by sticking something in your brain. You have to practice hard. Every. Single. Day. For years and years. Go to Japan, it's a must. I'm sorry, but you can't learn by sitting there watching subbed anime... most of the time, the subs aren't completely accurate! There are tons of ways to learn, but don't expect one of them to be anime. Anime is a great way to listen and become familiar with words, but not to learn the language. Go there and listen to what he has to say. Besides, if you can't go to Japan, what's the point of learning Japanese? Sorry to be blunt, but I just wanted to ask. Do you mean that you can't go there now or ever?
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-22-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDfan View Post
PLEASE don't try to learn Japanese just by watching dramas and anime! Please. I am begging you! Get books, CDs, Tapes, more books, software, flashcards, children's books in Japanese, teachers, classes, podcasts, websites, etc. Dramas and anime and music are all excellent resources for listening to the language, but you have to be actively engaged in it somehow. It's not like in the Matrix where you can learn it all by sticking something in your brain. You have to practice hard. Every. Single. Day. For years and years. Go to Japan, it's a must. I'm sorry, but you can't learn by sitting there watching subbed anime... most of the time, the subs aren't completely accurate! There are tons of ways to learn, but don't expect one of them to be anime. Anime is a great way to listen and become familiar with words, but not to learn the language. Go there and listen to what he has to say. Besides, if you can't go to Japan, what's the point of learning Japanese? Sorry to be blunt, but I just wanted to ask. Do you mean that you can't go there now or ever?
I agree with all of this. You can't ONLY read Japanese or ONLY hear Japanese either, to attain mastery you'll need to practise writing, reading, listening and speaking Japanese and do these practises properly. Personally, I think learning from J-music would be worse than learning from anime, not only are the lyrics usually artistic and not fit to be considered text that you can speak conversationally or write as proper sentences, but they are often sung in a very hip manner, so it'd be very counterproductive if these were used to aid your study.

I noticed that this clip was imbedded in your post..

I find this guy funny but not only that, he also speaks the truth. I get irritated by people who think anime would be a suitable, primary language support when really, they didn't get conversant with their native language by just watching cartoons. I think this idea isn't really born of stupidity, but rather laziness (not true for all, I'm sure). A lot of people want to learn but don't want to invest much time and effort into studying - I feel they don't really care about fully understanding but want to look proficient because it's trendy to be so (this isn't directed at any particular member BTW).

Thumbs up to the ones that put in the hard yards - best of luck to you.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
HYDfan (Offline)
Massu is love

02-23-2008, 05:41 PM

Yeah exactly. If you want to learn Japanese, take the time to learn it right. It will take a while, but you will be so better off.

Also, thanks for putting the video up!

Last edited by HYDfan : 02-23-2008 at 05:45 PM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Veespin (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to Veespin
02-23-2008, 07:23 PM

It is interesting that people would spend years in Japan and not be fluent. If I had the opportunity to speak some years in Japan, I would make sure I am fluent in the language. I love the language, country, people, music, culture, food, etc. I'm hoping to go to a Japanese school this fall. Has anyone heard of KCP International in Tokyo and how good the school is? Or if anyone can recommend some decent Japanese learning schools that would be great (in Japan, that is). My goal is to become "fluent" in the language, but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop there -- hopefully one day I can master all 1,945 JOYO kanji. I have about 800 to 900 down (300 to 400 I can write good). I've been studying for 4 years now, been doing different things to get my vocabulary up -- e-mail exchanges, text chat, voice chat, mixi, opening up my own forum/website. It's time for me to get some "proper" teaching.

New Board System installed! Post layouts! RPG-style posting stats!
Come and join to see other cool and unique features!
Views = 11,600; Members = 5; Posts = 55
(#26 (permalink))
Old
FantasyQueen (Offline)
JF Regular

02-23-2008, 10:26 PM

I love Japanese since I've watched some movie in that language.Now I want to go to some private school and learn it. I think it is very fun <3 I just know how to say I love you [ Kimi o ai shiteru ] .. I think So,I think it'd be the best to study it here and than to go there and make it perfect :lol: <3
(#27 (permalink))
Old
HYDfan (Offline)
Massu is love

02-23-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyQueen View Post
I love Japanese since I've watched some movie in that language.Now I want to go to some private school and learn it. I think it is very fun <3 I just know how to say I love you [ Kimi o ai shiteru ] .. I think So,I think it'd be the best to study it here and than to go there and make it perfect :lol: <3
you could say it a few different ways. you could just say "aishiteru" you wouldn't have to add the "kimi o" part. and you could also say "daisuki" or something... but yeah, that's right! good job!
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-23-2008, 10:37 PM

I've been reading the debate between nyororin and chachava and I'll just say that they're both right AND wrong. I agree with chachava on the main point.

It is true in the way babies learn their FIRST language as the way Nyororin describes. Also they can pick up a second language quite easily in a similar way at a young age. However as you get older your brain develops a "way" of thinking in the language(s) you've acquired at a young age and it takes a conscious effort (i.e. lessons) AS WELL AS being immersed in the language to obtain near fluent proficiency in a second language as a teenager/adult.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
FRESHx (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to FRESHx
02-24-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

And I disagree with you.

How does a baby learn to speak any language? They don`t comprehend *anything* at first, and the entire world is new to them... But yet, a typical child will learn to speak fluently in about 3 years.
i think the thing with that is that when your born there, you know nothing and you learn from listening and all that. but when youre already fluent in a language, you have all these words already drilled into your memory, and when you try to learn a language at an older age, its harder to see "summer" as "natsu" since your already so use to it as "summer." now, i didn't say it was impossible, just harder.

you wanna know how bad the movie is?

picture titanic....with no boat.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
FantasyQueen (Offline)
JF Regular

02-24-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDfan View Post
you could say it a few different ways. you could just say "aishiteru" you wouldn't have to add the "kimi o" part. and you could also say "daisuki" or something... but yeah, that's right! good job!
Tnx! And I read it like it writes right? Just with maybe some akcent and stuff?