LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyavifan View Post
They really do that? How do they use those terms offensively?
Just using them in the improper times. Unless you are very close friends or relatives to someone, ORE from a gaijin mouth can sound rude, and OMAE and KISAMA are fighting words. Anime doesn't teach you what's appropriate or not, so I cringe when I hear people use these terms (and many others) at the completely wrong times.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

05-20-2008, 01:06 AM

Oh, ok.

Thank you for answering my question.

I've heard of ore, but don't really know what it means. I for sure don't know what omae or kisama means, though I've heard of those words too.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Oh, ok.

Thank you for answering my question.

I've heard of ore, but don't really know what it means. I for sure don't know what omae or kisama means, though I've heard of those words too.
Ore is a very masculine way of saying "Me" and OMAE and KISAMA are two ways of saying "You".
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

05-20-2008, 01:12 AM

Ah, ok. Well, it makes why Miyavi uses that term then.

So, omae and kisama are like insulting then or something?

R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2008, 01:18 AM

"ore" is the very rough way a male would refer to himself, rather than "watashi". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it comes off as arrogant?

Edit: One thing I will mention in this spot, some Japanese have differing opinions on this. I had two different Japanese males tell me to use "boku" and "ore" more, although it may have been in jest.

"omae" is the rough version of "anata"(you). I rarely even used 'anata' when I was in Japan. I tended to just use their names. It tends to be more polite to speak in the 3rd person than 1st/2nd. Once again, I may need correction.

"kisama" is a straight and pure insult.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

05-20-2008, 01:21 AM

Thank you both, Nathan and MMM, for your help with this.

R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#17 (permalink))
Old
okuyukashiibeppin (Offline)
New to JF

Location: I live in the United States, but I would so love to live in Japan. *_*
05-20-2008, 01:23 AM

That's totally true, you can't. Disappointing, no?

Watch this, eet's funnay:

YouTube - The Secret to Learning Japanese! Amazing!

(#18 (permalink))
Old
ChibiOokami86 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to ChibiOokami86
05-20-2008, 01:23 AM

This is a very interesting topic because I have gone through another medium to learn Japanese, quite frankly, 4 years of college and I still find it difficult to comprehend what they say in anime. I know my listening skills are slow but it could also be me trying to read the subs as well as listen. I'm still trying to find a way to improve my Japanese with a lack of native speakers over here.

I'm surprised to hear that people try to learn Japanese from a show or music because when you start off learning a language you have to learn sentence structure, tense, forms, all the works which usually won't be found in anime or music. I would have to agree though... 'You cannot learn Japanese from scratch from an anime' but you can use it to help you in certain ways...
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Ah, ok. Well, it makes why Miyavi uses that term then.

So, omae and kisama are like insulting then or something?
It just depends on the situation, but anime is fantasy, so a student will say it to his pricipal in anime and that's a good laugh, but a foreigner watching wouldn't know that's totally innappropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiOokami86 View Post
This is a very interesting topic because I have gone through another medium to learn Japanese, quite frankly, 4 years of college and I still find it difficult to comprehend what they say in anime. I know my listening skills are slow but it could also be me trying to read the subs as well as listen. I'm still trying to find a way to improve my Japanese with a lack of native speakers over here.

I'm surprised to hear that people try to learn Japanese from a show or music because when you start off learning a language you have to learn sentence structure, tense, forms, all the works which usually won't be found in anime or music. I would have to agree though... 'You cannot learn Japanese from scratch from an anime' but you can use it to help you in certain ways...
That's very normal. You, at least, have a foundation of knowing what is polite and what isn't, so anime is nothing but helpful for listening.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
chaseme (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2008, 02:54 AM

I have to agree to the OP if all anime use
Quote:
informal or improper Japanese as well as slang,
I dont think that all anime uses informal or improper and slang japanese so i have to partly disaggree

and i think some people knows what to absorb and what to ignore.
if they what to know formal japanese they would probably learn from formal anime/jdrama characters and not from characters that is regarded as idiot/stupid characters like naruto

i agree on the part that the best way to learn the language
Quote:
If you really want to learn proper Japanese, take classes, hang around people that speak the language, and study from lesson books.
i just think exposure to anime/jdramas do helps
and i think watching undubbed ones are better, since we learn our first native languange unsub

***i dont really speak japanese but when i was learning english, films and cartoons are great exposure for me