LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2008, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseme View Post
I have to agree to the OP if all anime use .
I dont think that all anime uses informal or improper and slang japanese so i have to partly disaggree

and i think some people knows what to absorb and what to ignore.
if they what to know formal japanese they would probably learn from formal anime/jdrama characters and not from characters that is regarded as idiot/stupid characters like naruto

But unless you are studying properly as well, you will not know what is appropriate and polite compared to what is innapropriate and rude.

I think it is helpful for picking up accents and vocabulary, but most anime should not be imitated unless you really know what you are doing.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

05-20-2008, 03:05 AM

I remember hearing about a specific word, てめ -- "Teme"?
[I'm not exactly sure on the spelling]

From what I understand, there are many words - てめ being one of them - largely used in entertainment, but rarely used in real life situations. Is that accurate?
(#23 (permalink))
Old
chaseme (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
But unless you are studying properly as well, you will not know what is appropriate and polite compared to what is innapropriate and rude.

I think it is helpful for picking up accents and vocabulary, but most anime should not be imitated unless you really know what you are doing.
like i said
Quote:
if they what to know formal japanese they would probably learn from formal anime/jdrama characters and not from characters that is regarded as idiot/stupid characters like naruto
anyway where else can you hear japanese conversation that have a large scope of topics.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Petahpie (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Petahpie
05-20-2008, 03:31 AM

so, the vibe I'm getting from this topic is:
Pop media (anime, manga, j-pop, j-rock, ect.) can be a useful tool, especially if you don't know anyone who speaks japanese natively, but if you use them as your sole means of learning the language, you will start saying things that will either offend others, or make you sound stupid (or both). Your learning process will also move much more slowly. So the best thing is to have a more formal study, but if you like the japanese pop media, it can aid your learning.
Am I gathering the right info here?
(#25 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2008, 04:11 AM

Quote:
like i said

if they what to know formal japanese they would probably learn from formal anime/jdrama characters and not from characters that is regarded as idiot/stupid characters like naruto.

You have more faith in non-formal language students than I do. Just the basic concepts of "formal speech" and "informal speech" are hard to comprehend for those that don't learn formally, as formal and informal isn't as black and white in English as it is in Japanese.

So I don't think people know what to absorb and not to absorb. When Saya in Blood+ speaks to David or Julia (people she isn't familiar with) she uses a different form of speech than she does with her friends at school. There aren't always "formal characters" and "informal characters" and, of course, that is never true in real life. You need to be able to speak both formally and informally to sound like a native speaker, but the most important thing is knowing when what speaking style is appropriate. Anime is helpful, sometimes, in learning that for people that are already studying Japanese, but for someone coming in knowing nothing, it can be a real hazard.

Quote:
anyway where else can you hear japanese conversation that have a large scope of topics.
Dramas, live-action movies, variety shows are probably more accurate representations of how Japanese people really speak and include a variety of topics.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petahpie View Post
so, the vibe I'm getting from this topic is:
Pop media (anime, manga, j-pop, j-rock, ect.) can be a useful tool, especially if you don't know anyone who speaks japanese natively, but if you use them as your sole means of learning the language, you will start saying things that will either offend others, or make you sound stupid (or both). Your learning process will also move much more slowly. So the best thing is to have a more formal study, but if you like the japanese pop media, it can aid your learning.
Am I gathering the right info here?
I would agree with that 100%. There is nothing wrong with soaking up J-media, that's a good thing, but it isn't intended to be a language tool, and therefore is sketchy.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
chaseme (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Dramas, live-action movies, variety shows are probably more accurate representations of how Japanese people really speak and include a variety of topics.
Quote:
i just made my samples anime since i have seen more animes than jdramas etc...
considering the OP said
Quote:
I'll put it bluntly, anime, manga, and J-Dramas in the original Japanese language is not meant for outsiders.
i assume you know that i was talking about japanese media in a more broader sense and not only anime when i say
Quote:
The OP's point is that anime,jdrama etc... is harmful for those who are trying to learn japanese language.
that is what i disagree. one because there are different type of learners, people like me with short attention span would probably have more success understanding anime conversation that a voice recording of japanese vocabulary. 2nd anime/drama etc... have a larger scope of conversation than any other source.
well it might be true that it would be hard or impossible to learn "proper" japanese from these media but i think its undoubtedly a helpful media.
i dont think its the anime/jdrama fault that you couldn't stop saying 'sorry' in informal Japanese in a test for Business Level Japanese.

Last edited by chaseme : 05-20-2008 at 08:08 AM.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
The OP's point is that anime,jdrama etc... is harmful for those who are trying to learn japanese language.
that is what i disagree. one because there are different type of learners, people like me with short attention span would probably have more success understanding anime conversation that a voice recording of japanese vocabulary. 2nd anime/drama etc... have a larger scope of conversation than any other source.
well it might be true that it would be hard or impossible to learn "proper" japanese from these media but i think its undoubtedly a helpful media.
i dont think its the anime/jdrama fault that you couldn't stop saying 'sorry' in informal Japanese in a test for Business Level Japanese.
That is not the OPs point.

The point is you cannot expect to learn Japanese from subbed anime.

There are people that think this is possible. They are wrong.

People with short attention spans are not good candidates for learning second languages.

I spent 6 hours a week in a classroom and probably double that doing homework for four years to get Japanese "fluency" but I didn't feel fluent until I had lived in Japan for a couple years.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
emiluvsjmusic (Offline)
JF noob

05-20-2008, 10:37 AM

i learnt a bit of japanese words and phrases from watching japanese TV shows (reality more than anime though)
but im pretty sure you cant learn the whole language from anime >_>

Death Note fam & Shingami clan
JF family|Emi's Space|Haruhiism
(#30 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

05-20-2008, 10:51 AM

I disagree with the FACT thing... I've never had a proper course in French until last year... Yet, I managed to pick up french from Anime and TV when I was younger... And I'm sure, if I had listened to it in Japanese when I was younger, it'd be Japanese that I speak instead of French...

Another example, I have a chinese friend in my class here... he's never had a single lesson of Japanese all his life, yet he can have basic conversations and can understand A LOT of Japanese, simply from watching anime and Japanese shows for the past 10 years... One thing I will say though, don't count on your level to be surperiour, but saying that you cannot learn Japanes from it is ridiculous... How do babies learn any language without having a translation for it?????