JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
alexautopsy (Offline)
New to JF

can someone help me with learning japanese??? - 06-21-2008, 01:13 AM

i need someone to help me learn the language
i hope to move to japan in about 2 or 3 years so i need some help from people who speak it
^.^

lets cause another teenage heartbreak
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-21-2008, 02:23 AM

I don't mean to come off as prude, but here goes:

There are plenty of resources to help with Japanese language learning within and linked to via the sticky thread up top.
Japanese Language Resources

Depending on your level, there are a couple threads you can practice speaking in:
(usually advanced, except for my more beginner posts)
Japanese Chat : Japanese Characters
(more beginner)
ひらがな と カタカナ で はなしましょう!

If you cannot read in hiragana or katakana, try creating a thread for romaji chat. There are a few people that would partake in it.

You won't likely get many results if you come on with a "teach me, teach me!" style attitude. However, if you show to be making some effort on your own we're more than willing to help you along the way.

Last edited by Nathan : 06-21-2008 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Being a native speaker doesn't mean I shouldn't proofread!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
alexautopsy (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2008, 02:30 AM

oh
no
you're not
^.^
i know a little bit but i just have trouble understanding when to change the form and stuff when talking in sentances

lets cause another teenage heartbreak
(#4 (permalink))
Old
lizzey (Offline)
Banned

06-21-2008, 02:35 AM

Well a good resource I will recommend you to do in learning the Japanese language is taking a course at a school rather than asking someone to help you by messaging. Especially with the pronounciation. Right now I'm taking a course in Japanese at a college and it is free for high school students. I have learn my numbers, proper way of introducing yourself, Hiragana, and some katakana. Also proper pronounciation, forming sentences, and question which are really easy to do. It is also great meeting a native Japanese person which I am fortunate meeting in Takeuchi sensei. I could help you if you like, but is better actualy hearing the words especially for a language such as Japanese.

Last edited by lizzey : 06-21-2008 at 03:40 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-21-2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzey View Post
Well a good resource I will recommend you to do in learning the Japanese language is taking a course at a school rather than asking someone to help you by messaging. Especially with the pronounciation. Right now I'm taking a course in Japanese at a college and it is free for high school students. I have learn my numbers, proper way of introducing yourself, Hiragana, and some katakana. I could help you if you like, but is better actualy hearing the words especially for a language such as Japanese.
On the plus side, Japanese pronounciation really isn't that difficult once you know it. Its just a bit to get used to if you're a native English speaker since the vowels always have the same sound. (Monday, mono, moon ><)

Edit: On the note of form changes, when in doubt use the polite style!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MaU (Offline)
New to JF

06-21-2008, 02:40 AM

Hi!! I would love to help you Japanese☆
I do understand what you mean because I was a exchange student from Japan to the U.S. last year. So, if you want to, I can help somehow
(#7 (permalink))
Old
lizzey (Offline)
Banned

06-21-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
On the plus side, Japanese pronounciation really isn't that difficult once you know it. Its just a bit to get used to if you're a native English speaker since the vowels always have the same sound. (Monday, mono, moon ><)

Edit: On the note of form changes, when in doubt use the polite style!

Yes a native English speaker can get use to of prounounciation but what I mean some words like house is ei can sound like ee (yes in japanese which is not a proper way)should be careful in stressing the word correctly or else it could mean something else thats why pronunciation is important.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-21-2008, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzey View Post
Yes a native English speaker can get use to of prounounciation but what I mean some words like house is ei can sound like ee (yes in japanese which is not a proper way)should be careful in stressing the word correctly or else it could mean something else thats why pronunciation is important.
*家 → いえ → ie, not ei

えい (ei) → a few different meanings!

いい → ii -> good, well, etc ええ → ee -> the casual yes.

I think a better example would have been ie (house) -> iie (no)

But yes, there are several words with small pronounciation differences.

Edit: I think I should have said a plethora rather than several, now that I think about it

Last edited by Nathan : 06-21-2008 at 03:34 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
lizzey (Offline)
Banned

06-21-2008, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
*家 → いえ → ie, not ei

えい (ei) → a few different meanings!

いい → ii -> good, well, etc ええ → ee -> the casual yes.

I think a better example would have been ie (house) -> iie (no)

But yes, there are several words with small pronounciation differences.
My mistake I got them confuse but you know what I was trying to say. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by lizzey : 06-24-2008 at 03:12 AM.