JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
GoodAnime (Offline)
New to JF

What is the Difference of these 3? - 07-07-2008, 08:34 PM

Hello. I am self-teaching myself some Japanese, but I am having trouble with some things. I first started teaching myself some easy introduction words, months, #s, etc., (but those are all in romaji). Things like that, but now I think I should start studying on the hiragana, katakana, and kanji (One at a time of course). I have concerns:

1) What is the difference between these three? Sush as its common use? Please explain and add examples? . . . I read some definitions of these three, but I am still puzzled. <-- This is my biggest issue. There is so much information I may have to read on these, but many of them use big words and/or explain too much, when I just need a simple explanation. I can't learn the grammar of Japanese unless I understand these, right?

2) Which one should I start on first do you recommend?

Someone please help me.

Thank you!

~GoodAnime

"I want to be FREE, so break it down!" ~Song 'Breakdown' by Epik High

Good-Anime's DeviantART

Last edited by GoodAnime : 07-07-2008 at 08:39 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ven (Offline)
sum1 fitin n getin strong

07-07-2008, 08:46 PM

well the only difference that i know between them is that kanji are letters "borrowed" from the chinese alphabet. i have heard that you should learn hiragana, katakana, kanji, then romanji

Member of the Tenjou Tenge Clan
Member name: Souichiro
Current number of members: 4
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GoodAnime (Offline)
New to JF

07-07-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ven View Post
well the only difference that i know between them is that kanji are letters "borrowed" from the chinese alphabet. i have heard that you should learn hiragana, katakana, kanji, then romanji
Edit: Answered.

Good-Anime's DeviantART

Last edited by GoodAnime : 07-07-2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Question answered.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

07-07-2008, 10:01 PM

Romaji isn't good for anybody. Begin learning Japanese with Hiragana, then Katakana. There's too many problems associated with romaji in learning Japanese, and furthermore, romaji isn't used that often in Japan, so it's rather useless.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2008, 10:46 PM

Hatredcopter put it nicely. There are only two reasons to ever use romaji: You are using a computer that for some odd reason (ie you pirated the OS and don't have the install disc><) cannot install Japanese language support, or you are just starting out. And even if you are just starting, if you're seriously studying learn hiragana ASAP. Romaji is for tourists.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
saruwatarikumiko (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to saruwatarikumiko
^_~ - 07-07-2008, 10:51 PM

Konnichiwa

So, the most common would be Kanji. >.< Kanji is a must and is very difficult to learn with so many out there. THat's why it's best to stuyd a Kanji a day. Also Hiragana is used with Kanji. Katakana is for foreign words. But Hiragana and Kanji are the most common. ^-^ But they are all common. I suggest you study Hiragana and Katakana first

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

07-07-2008, 10:54 PM

Somewhat unrelated response to the intial post: The proper grammar is "What are the differences among these three options?" Apologies if I offend, but the grammar teacher in my head won't stop until I point that out.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"
(#8 (permalink))
Old
GoodAnime (Offline)
New to JF

07-07-2008, 11:15 PM

@Hatredcopter & Nathan: Okay. Thank you for the info. I'll work on hiragana then katakana.

Thank you to Saruwatarikumiko, too!

@Koir: Ahahaha, it's no problem. I would change it, but unfortunately, I cannot now.

One more thing: If I tried to read a Japanese product, would it be in hiragana usually? Or what?

There are so many places I can start to learn. . . xDD

Good-Anime's DeviantART
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-07-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodAnime View Post
@Hatredcopter & Nathan: Okay. Thank you for the info. I'll work on hiragana then katakana.

Thank you to Saruwatarikumiko, too!

@Koir: Ahahaha, it's no problem. I would change it, but unfortunately, I cannot now.

One more thing: If I tried to read a Japanese product, would it be in hiragana usually? Or what?

There are so many places I can start to learn. . . xDD
To be able to read normal things (newpapers, advertisements, etc.) you need to know all three. It is common to see sentences with both hiragana and kanji and katakana all being used.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
jrocka83 (Offline)
Gaikokujin

Send a message via Yahoo to jrocka83 Send a message via Skype™ to jrocka83
07-07-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodAnime View Post
Hello. I am self-teaching myself some Japanese, but I am having trouble with some things. I first started teaching myself some easy introduction words, months, #s, etc., (but those are all in romaji). Things like that, but now I think I should start studying on the hiragana, katakana, and kanji (One at a time of course). I have concerns:

1) What is the difference between these three? Sush as its common use? Please explain and add examples? . . . I read some definitions of these three, but I am still puzzled. <-- This is my biggest issue. There is so much information I may have to read on these, but many of them use big words and/or explain too much, when I just need a simple explanation. I can't learn the grammar of Japanese unless I understand these, right?

2) Which one should I start on first do you recommend?

Someone please help me.

Thank you!

~GoodAnime
Katakana is used for foriegn words like Cola {Ko-ra} コ(Ko)ーラ(ra)

Hirigana was devoloped for woman back in the day. Woman in Japan where not allowed to write in kanji. But now Hirigana is use for some adjetives like Oishii{Tasty} お(O)い(I)し(SHI)い(I) And is also used for particles like waは and gaが.

Kanji is used for all Nouns like Ginko{Bank}銀行

I would start with Katakana, it is the easiest. Then Hirigana, and then Kanji. Katakana and Hirigana are easy to learn. Kanji is very hard to learn. The average Japanese person knows about 40,000 charecters, that is how much you need to know to read the news paper in Japan. There are over 150,000 cheracters in the kanji alphebet.

My wife is Japanese and sometimes there are signs in Japan, that she can't even read.