JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

10-06-2008, 09:07 PM

No, I don't think so.
But I've been proven wrong before. Prove me wrong?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Payne222 (Offline)
un américain

10-06-2008, 09:25 PM

Nie.
German's grammar is way too complex for you to get.
Even if you were dumped in Germany. It'd take you maybe 6 months then, I'd say.
But being in a non German speaking country...
It could take a while.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-28-2011, 10:53 AM

Hi.

I think you may be able to master 3 minutes speech in Japanese/German, or learn lyrics of one Japanese/German song, in 1 month.

I mean that it is possible to learn a certain amount of specific context, in 1 month.

If you want to do it, an effective tutoring system is necessary, in order to save time.

And of course, you have to do nothing but study the language.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-28-2011, 11:08 AM

At the risk of hijacking a thread . . .

If we ignore the time limit, is it a good idea to learn two languages at once? Just I personally was interested in having a go at German, but I'm far from fluent in Japanese - a level 5 or 4 at best - so would it be confusing or unhelpful to learn both? Just there are so different in every aspect, I wondered if - out of any languages - those two would be the best to learn together, little chance of a mix-up and all . . .
(#15 (permalink))
Old
TrubyLiz (Offline)
New to JF

06-28-2011, 11:45 AM

I think it's certainly possible to learn two languages at once, its just very difficult. You can't really immerse yourself in either language because then you risk loosing bits of the other. If you practice plenty, it should be possible.

I'm learning German and Japanese at uni and I haven't got mixed up when trying to speak either. Then again, I've only finished my first year of Japanese, so I'm still at a beginner's level for that. (My German is... I'm not sure what level I'm at, actually. Good enough that if I was dumped in a German-speaking country I could probably get by, but not fluent yet >.< )

A little trick I would recommend is using the second language as a "springboard" for learning the third. So getting Japanese-German dictionaries, finding websites that sub videos in either language, stuff like that. It gives you the chance to immerse yourself in one language whilst also doing plenty of stuff with the other. I was going to move to Germany to study Japanese but that idea fell through in the end. :/

A month, though, is not nearly enough to learn a language. I've been studying German for 7 years now, I'm still not fluent. (That said, I've been learning it in an educational setting with plenty of other subjects too, I hardly heard it every day) It takes approximately a year to learn a language to fluency when you're actually in a country that speaks it, and that's only if you actively go out and "immerse" yourself.

Also, did anyone else notice the original post on this thread is from 2008? :P
(#16 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-28-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne222 View Post
Nie.
German's grammar is way too complex for you to get.
For someone who speaks English, German's a hell of a lot easier than Japanese; I'm surprised you went with saying German is too hard.

In any case, I think German grammar is pretty easy. Granted, something like Dutch is easier, but still, German is pretty easy for a native English speaker.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-28-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
At the risk of hijacking a thread . . .

If we ignore the time limit, is it a good idea to learn two languages at once? Just I personally was interested in having a go at German, but I'm far from fluent in Japanese - a level 5 or 4 at best - so would it be confusing or unhelpful to learn both? Just there are so different in every aspect, I wondered if - out of any languages - those two would be the best to learn together, little chance of a mix-up and all . . .
I studied Japanese and Chinese at university simultaneously. There are also a bunch of people on some language forum for polylinguals (I don't like the term "polylinguist" for this usage) who study 3+ languages at the same time with success.