LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-02-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUNIO View Post
また = Also/again from my dictionary, how where does this come in?
あした = Tomorrow (another obvious one)
ね = sensei said it seeked agreement

"Again tomorow then yeah?" is how i read it.

When you see ね on the end of a sentence, think of it as either "isnt he/she/it?" or is "that ok?"
if i write in romaji it will make it simpler in this case i think.

kanojo ga tsuteki desu ne

she beautiful to be isnt she?

Isnt she beautiful?

Its more like a rhetorical question..

your trying too hard to translate things to english when you see them rather to try and understand the sentence you are reading... do you see what i mean?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me

Last edited by SHAD0W : 12-02-2008 at 11:23 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KUNIO (Offline)
オタク

12-02-2008, 11:21 PM

Thank you so much! Makes perfect sense now, since you compared it to English Ah, I see, I gotta get that in my head.

P.S. Oh, oh, one more phrase please

Fun with Hiragana

This translated is:

たのしいもってひらがな

Last edited by KUNIO : 12-02-2008 at 11:28 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

12-02-2008, 11:25 PM

well.. you had Nagoyankee, Kenmei and myself (though compared to the formers Im not much use) so how could this thread be anything but successful in helping you learn?

Case Closed

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#14 (permalink))
Old
KUNIO (Offline)
オタク

12-02-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
well.. you had Nagoyankee, Kenmei and myself (though compared to the formers Im not much use) so how could this thread be anything but successful in helping you learn?

Case Closed
Haha yeah so true, all the professionals (I consider you one) all in one thread Appreciate it if you could look in my last post guys *wink*
(#15 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

12-02-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Haha yeah so true, all the professionals (I consider you one) all in one thread Appreciate it if you could look in my last post guys *wink*
haha that would be nice but Ive only been studying for nearly 2 years now..
20mins a day minimum keeps me going!

tanoshi is a na adjective.. so many particles..

a big ERM... comes to mind..

I'd guess at ひらがなとたのしい but then たのしいなひらがな comes to mind.. or you could say hiragana is fun -> ひらがなはたのしい

best leaving this one to the guys who know what theyre talking about.. i guess with what i said that the jist is there.. its just my own self doubt that makes thinks difficult when speaking. im a much better listener/reader than speaker.. and with that, im going deaf

Last edited by SHAD0W : 12-02-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: wrong particle..
(#16 (permalink))
Old
KUNIO (Offline)
オタク

12-02-2008, 11:51 PM

What is a "na" adjective? Haha yeah I know this was bugging me it is a hard phrase. Also, I have a big question. How do you know when to use Katakana and when to use Hiragana? Like I know the small basics, but I see so much mixed when I think the word can be written in Hiragana, is there a general rule? Thank you!

Last edited by KUNIO : 12-03-2008 at 12:03 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
CaptainThunder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-03-2008, 01:04 AM

Quote:
What is a "na" adjective? Haha yeah I know this was bugging me it is a hard phrase. Also, I have a big question. How do you know when to use Katakana and when to use Hiragana? Like I know the small basics, but I see so much mixed when I think the word can be written in Hiragana, is there a general rule? Thank you!
1.) A "na" adjective is simply an adjective that needs a "na" after it when it describes a noun:

いい事 - "Good thing", いい is an i-adjective, the other type of adjective, it simply precedes the noun which it describes.

きれいな事 - "Nice thing", きれい is a na-adjective, it needs to be followed by a "na" when it modifies a noun by preceding it.

There are some other things to watch out for too, as always Tae Kim is a good resource.

2.) There are no hard and fast rules; katakana is usually used for foreign words, and often for advertisements or as another form of italics. When crafting your own writing, write a word in hiragana unless you're sure that it's more commonly written in katakana.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
KUNIO (Offline)
オタク

12-03-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainThunder View Post
1.) A "na" adjective is simply an adjective that needs a "na" after it when it describes a noun:

いい事 - "Good thing", いい is an i-adjective, the other type of adjective, it simply precedes the noun which it describes.

きれいな事 - "Nice thing", きれい is a na-adjective, it needs to be followed by a "na" when it modifies a noun by preceding it.

There are some other things to watch out for too, as always Tae Kim is a good resource.

2.) There are no hard and fast rules; katakana is usually used for foreign words, and often for advertisements or as another form of italics. When crafting your own writing, write a word in hiragana unless you're sure that it's more commonly written in katakana.
どうもありがとう!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-03-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
That's what I thought.

Even without the spacing, I don't think a native speaker would combine the rather formal どういたしまして with the highly casual またあしたね. I certainly wouldn't.
I figured out myself that どういたしまして is in a formal form, but I have never figure out how to say it in an informal way. I mean, if I change the verbs in the informal way it would become どう=どう, いす=する and ます gets taken away to make it informal...so it becomes どうして which means why. Nagoyankeeさん, is there an informal way of you are welcome? (coz you will never find it in a western text book hee hee).

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

12-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
I figured out myself that どういたしまして is in a formal form, but I have never figure out how to say it in an informal way. I mean, if I change the verbs in the informal way it would become どう=どう, いす=する and ます gets taken away to make it informal...so it becomes どうして which means why. Nagoyankeeさん, is there an informal way of you are welcome? (coz you will never find it in a western text book hee hee).
Yes, there is. We often say 「いえいえ」 or 「いいえ」which is like saying 'nah nah'. But do not say 「いいえいいえ」.

You actually will NOT hear 「どういたしまして」 too often in Japan. I hear it much more often on JF.