JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

A stupid question, but I am curious - 01-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Yesterday I came across this word: 竹刀. I had never seen it before, but I assumed it was a bamboo word. I look on the dictionary for it thinking it might be read something like ちくとう or (less probable) たけそり. With my amazement I found out it is read しない (none of the two a reading I knew for those 2 kanji).

Now, my question is this one. Is the reading しない because a bamboo sword is supposed not to cause death? (forgive me, but I had to ask).

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

01-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Yesterday I came across this word: 竹刀. I had never seen it before, but I assumed it was a bamboo word. I look on the dictionary for it thinking it might be read something like ちくとう or (less probable) たけそり. With my amazement I found out it is read しない (none of the two a reading I knew for those 2 kanji).

Now, my question is this one. Is the reading しない because a bamboo sword is supposed not to cause death? (forgive me, but I had to ask).
You have such a a wild imagination.

The word comes from 撓い竹 = しないだけ = bending (or supple) bamboo.

The kanji 竹刀 is merely a substitute. We already had the verb "shinau = to bend, to be supple" before we had any contact with the Chinese.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post

Now, my question is this one.
Is the reading しない because a bamboo sword is supposed not to cause death? (forgive me, but I had to ask).
Hi, chryuop.
Unfortunately, no.
There are many words like that. I mean many words we can’t tell the reading from each kanji.
For example:
東雲 You would read this “higashi gumo” or “tou un” but it’s “shinonome”.
We have many words like that and we just have to memorize them.
がんばってね!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP