(#11 (permalink))
Old
XDemianu27X (Offline)
ハブ酒

01-21-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelpre View Post
Is it difficult to learn japanese????
It depends on what your native language is. The language of Japan isn't too hard for english speakers to learn, but it's not as easy as spanish due to sentence structure.

Example: The sentence structure for "My name is Dude."... If you were to translate the equillivant sentence from japanese to english, it would look like "My name Dude is."

A large amount of nouns in japanese come from english which helps for english speakers.

The hard part is the accent, reading, knowing the proper tone/pitch of each word you say, and finding someone to practice with outside of a computer unless you're in Japan

If you're interested in learning japanese I would suggest memorizing Hiragana and Katakana first.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KTD (Offline)
New to JF

01-21-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I highlighted the areas that need to be fixed.

Pronunciation from romaji is not ideal. That's why I wrote in hiragana. Hiragana is easy to learn and you can ensure a correct pronunciation.

Someone who cannot read even hiragana should never say "ore".

There are also some spelling errors.
The spelling of ohayoo/ohayo, doozo/dozo, doomo/domo etc. vary form which source you get your info from. I'm only following the approved collage textbooks, + the hiragana issues relating to transcription and pronunciation.
As for "ore" I say once again that I didn't mean in Japanese, or simply you can say I made a mistake. I will never again spell it wrong! Sumimasen MMM-sama
(#13 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
01-21-2009, 07:37 PM

やれば、上がる
keep it on..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#14 (permalink))
Old
chmura (Offline)
New to JF

01-21-2009, 08:19 PM

I want to learn Japanese one day. I think next semester I will take a Japanese language course at my local community college.

I speak 2 languages already.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-21-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTD View Post
The spelling of ohayoo/ohayo, doozo/dozo, doomo/domo etc. vary form which source you get your info from. I'm only following the approved collage textbooks, + the hiragana issues relating to transcription and pronunciation.
As for "ore" I say once again that I didn't mean in Japanese, or simply you can say I made a mistake. I will never again spell it wrong! Sumimasen MMM-sama
people that don't know better will see "oo" and see "oo" as in "food". If I have to write it in romaji, I write "ohayou".
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Lucas89 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
people that don't know better will see "oo" and see "oo" as in "food". If I have to write it in romaji, I write "ohayou".
Not only that, but romaji influences can be seen when people do finally decide to move onto kana, because they type things like おはよお instead of おはよう and overall it just generally leads to bad spelling.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-21-2009, 09:57 PM

That is why you should throw yourself into kana immediately. But as per romaji, it is true. There are at least 3 different recognized ways of writing in romaji and they all have their pros and cons.

What is really confusing is seeing a native speaker writing in romaji. They don't know romaji standards (as in the ones we have in our textbooks) so they write how they read it. That means sometimes it is a "oo" and sometimes it is a "ou". Sometimes it is a "ee" and sometimes it is a "ei" (I receive Japanese lessons from a native speaker and his lessons are full of these things...just glad he keeps the romaji to a minimum, for the most it's kana).
What is funnier is that sometimes people who want to learn Japanese expect Japanese native speakers to be fully knowledgable of romaji...but I doubt that happens unless they are actually exposed to the western lifestyle.

Truth is...the only reason for using romaji is laziness. Now I am going back home to Italy for few weeks where my parents have a computer which can't show kana. I wouldn't even dream to write in romaji to my friend in Japan. If I have to use western characters then I write in English.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#18 (permalink))
Old
hennaz (Offline)
こんにちは!

01-21-2009, 10:09 PM

Here's another useful phrase;
トイレはどこですか Toire wa doko desu ka.
(Where is the bathroom (toilet)?)

Another word for toilet is お手洗い (o-tearai). 男性 (dansei) are the men's toilets, and 女性 (josei) are the women's toilets.

Hennaz ヘンナズ

(#19 (permalink))
Old
explorer1004 (Offline)
New to JF

01-22-2009, 02:17 AM

Thank you all for your help. Hope to get more and more assistant from you. Cheers.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Teto (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Teto
01-25-2009, 01:15 AM

I think, to get correctly how to pronounce, you should begin to learn hiragana and katakana ^^
It's a better way to learn than to ask sentences

一寸先は闇だ