JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
Good link - 03-18-2009, 01:28 AM

Well, I'm learning Japanese myself and I found this neat little page that I decided to use. So, if some of you guys who already know Japanese would like to critique it go for it!! And hopefully this will help others that are learning Japanese, like me!!!

Learn Japanese : Learn Japanese Online : Learning Japanese

Let me know if you like! D
(#2 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
03-18-2009, 01:32 AM

This one actually diserves this:

猿も木から落ちる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

03-18-2009, 01:43 AM

lol why a facepalm???
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

03-18-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
This one actually diserves this:
I'd have to agree. The whole site is in romaji, alarm bells should be sounding already.

Quote:
Particle wa marks the subject of the sentence. Particle ga marks the topic of the sentence.
Quote:
Shiriiriasen (she-ree-mah-sen; I don't know the answer to that question.)
I mean that's not even correct. My suggestion, get a real textbook!

The whole site is probably created by a non-Japanese person, who just learnt a tiny bit of Japanese him/herself and, it may be very good intentions, creating a web site that teaches other people, but, it's just an epic failure.

Last edited by kirakira : 03-18-2009 at 01:54 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

03-18-2009, 02:03 AM

I c I c, well is the alphabet they put on there correct?? That's what I'm using right now. Hope it's not all wrong :O
(#6 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

03-18-2009, 02:14 AM

The "alphabet"????? You mean the basic common "letters" known as "hiragana" ???

If I go back to that site, I'd kill myself. So just take a look at this: http://www.japanorama.com/images/hiragana.gif

That is the correct hiragana table.

And then take a look at this: http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...g?t=1237342419

猿も木から落ちる
(#7 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

03-18-2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
The whole site is probably created by a non-Japanese person, who just learnt a tiny bit of Japanese him/herself and, it may be very good intentions, creating a web site that teaches other people, but, it's just an epic failure.
Haven't heard such true words since I was Hillary Clinton's hairdresser.

What?

猿も木から落ちる
(#8 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

03-18-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
The "alphabet"????? You mean the basic common "letters" known as "hiragana" ???

If I go back to that site, I'd kill myself. So just take a look at this: http://www.japanorama.com/images/hiragana.gif

That is the correct hiragana table.

And then take a look at this: http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k9...g?t=1237342419
Sorry, I'm new to Japanese. lol thanks for the second one btw also is that all there is to Hiragana? I thought there was more to the "basic common letters". Just making sure, even though you'll probably just facepalm it again

Last edited by darksyndrem : 03-18-2009 at 02:24 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

03-18-2009, 03:43 AM

Now we're getting somewhere. Let me break down the writing system for you.

There are FOUR alphabets used in Japan.

Romaji (English/Roman characters, just like this entire thread, you don't even need to learn then, you already know them. Easy, huh? XD)

Hiragana (Looks like this ひらがな これひらがなだよ ばかですね) These are used for basic crap, it's really hard to explain. But this is the "main" alphabet.

Katakana (Kataka looks like this アラン フォーラム ネックレス フォン ラブホ =]]) It's somewhat more simple than Hiragana. It is used to write foreign words, that don't necissarily have a word in Japanese. (Not necissarily, but for simplicity purposes, I'm going to leave it at that.) Words like names, computer, necklace, hotel, ect. Are all written in Hiragana.

Kanji......wow....kanji is basically a foreigners worst nightmare. Don't worry about Kanji untill you're at least somewhat fluent in Japanese. Most nouns and verbs and crap use Kanji. But you can still use hiragan just as you normally would if you don't know Kanji. (kanji looks like this 思社森字津桃花故意空) And there are freaking tens of thousands of them. So GANBATTE

猿も木から落ちる

Last edited by alanX : 03-18-2009 at 03:46 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

03-18-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Now we're getting somewhere. Let me break down the writing system for you.

There are FOUR alphabets used in Japan.

Romaji (English/Roman characters, just like this entire thread, you don't even need to learn then, you already know them. Easy, huh? XD)

Hiragana (Looks like this ひらがな これひらがなだよ ばかですね) These are used for basic crap, it's really hard to explain. But this is the "main" alphabet.

Katakana (Kataka looks like this アラン フォーラム ネックレス フォン ラブホ =]]) It's somewhat more simple than Hiragana. It is used to write foreign words, that don't necissarily have a word in Japanese. (Not necissarily, but for simplicity purposes, I'm going to leave it at that.) Words like names, computer, necklace, hotel, ect. Are all written in Hiragana.

Kanji......wow....kanji is basically a foreigners worst nightmare. Don't worry about Kanji untill you're at least somewhat fluent in Japanese. Most nouns and verbs and crap use Kanji. But you can still use hiragan just as you normally would if you don't know Kanji. (kanji looks like this 思社森字津桃花故意空) And there are freaking tens of thousands of them. So GANBATTE
Now that helps So, would Kanji sound different than Katakana and Hiragana? Like if someone were to be speaking to me, could they happen to use certain words in Kanji that I wouldn't understand?