(#11 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-04-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
団長(danchou) - you could guess where I learned this XD
Nope, I can't guess. Believe it or not, there are many students of Japanese who do not watch anime.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-04-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneH View Post
Sorry I wasn't very clear in my previous post. What I mean to say was to have one set of cards to learn meaning and another set (kanji I know the meaning of) for learning reading. After reading other posts here, though, I can see this really won't work as I won't retain the readings on their own as it is important to understand context.

I do have one question though. Apologies if this is really stupid but if I am faced with, for example, 上がる how do I know if this is 'あがる or のぼがる? Now maybe のぼがる doesn't exist, but that's not my point. What I really want to know is, if I am faced with this word for the first time are there are some cues which determine the reading/pronunication? Another book I've just started using is 'Kanji in Mangaland'. It's a nice book and whilst I can read the kanji I think it's because I know the word rather than figuring out which reading to apply and when. So is that it. Do I have to know the word(the kana) before I can figure out the reading? I'd imagine if it was in a certain context I may be able to figure it out, but what if it stands alone?
I know for a fact you can create a set of cards in Anki that is kanji, meaning, and pronunciation/reading. You can configure it to give you kanji<->meaning and kanji<->reading cards, and you only have to make half the cards your method requires!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-04-2009, 12:37 AM

The only way to truly remember kanji is to use them regularly after you learn them. You would be surprised at how quickly you can forget even characters which you think you are familiar with if you don't use them often. If you are using cards, use them every day. If you are using a book, you should review it often.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

12-04-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneH View Post
I do have one question though. Apologies if this is really stupid but if I am faced with, for example, 上がる how do I know if this is 'あがる or のぼがる? Now maybe のぼがる doesn't exist, but that's not my point. What I really want to know is, if I am faced with this word for the first time are there are some cues which determine the reading/pronunication?
You can only rely on two things:

1. Context.

2. Okurigana.

がる = あがる
= のぼる
(#15 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-04-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post

1. Context.

2. Okurigana.

がる = あがる
= のぼる
Nagoyankeeさん reminded me something that when we start learning kanji, most of us ignore.
When you find compound kanji words usually they go 音読み with 音読み and 訓読み with 訓読み. But this is not a golden rule that it is never broken. Thus there will be cases when you studied the reading of a kanji, but you have to work a little bit to find the word on the dictionary because they might have mixed readings (sorry, can't think of an example now).

Another thing is about the above mentioned Okurigana. There are cases when 2 kanji are linked by okurigana. Basicalli when a verb is made into a noun linked to another word. Many times the okurigana is dropped. I am sure we all have heard the word ikebana (the art of arranging flowers). Well 生け花 can be found also as 生花. I am not really sure there is a difference. I was told once it is done only in case it won't create ambiguity.

But when you study kanji be aware that knowing all the readings won't make everything easy.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#16 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-05-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post

1. Context.

2. Okurigana.

がる = あがる
= のぼる
The context is the real kicker. Case in point, you will need context to know whether to read 開く as ひらく or あく.