JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
shaorankun (Offline)
New to JF

Kanji to hiragana - 04-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Hi

I've found some months ago a website where you could input text written in kanji and you got the text written completly in hiragana/katakana. I don't remeber the name of the site nor how I've found it

Since I'm a beginner I only am able to read/write hiragana and katakana, I know myself a few kanjis (but we didn't start with them in my course yet) but it is sometimes very difficult for me to read things that use kanji very much, since I only know a few couple of kanjis.

I bet you know the animelyrics.com page, lot's of lyrics are also in kanji and I try to read the lyrics while listening the music but sometimes it is pretty hard when you find only hiragana for particles.

Does anybody know the kanji -> hiragana converting page I mean? Or does anybody knows a site out there that can do that?

Thanks

Last edited by shaorankun : 04-18-2009 at 12:19 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-18-2009, 12:34 PM

are you thinking of http://www.hiragana.jp/ ?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#3 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2009, 12:34 PM

Try this solution. Use the internet browser "Mozilla" (I think it is also called firefox, but I might be wrong). After that download the add-on for that browser called Raichan. When you run that add-on a box will appear next any kanji you will place the pointer on. In that box you will find reading and meaning of the kanji.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#4 (permalink))
Old
shaorankun (Offline)
New to JF

04-18-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
are you thinking of http://www.hiragana.jp/ ?
thank you, this look good. I've been searching after I've created the thread here and I've also found kanji romaji hiragana convert

@chryuop: also thanks, but I'm not going to change my web browser just for a plugin.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-18-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaorankun View Post

@chryuop: also thanks, but I'm not going to change my web browser just for a plugin.
This one is actually worth it.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dougbrowne (Offline)
JF Regular

04-18-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
thank you, this look good. I've been searching after I've created the thread here and I've also found kanji romaji hiragana convert

What web browser do you currently use? I'm guessing Internet Explorer which does suck. Switch to firefox, it's faster, cleaner, and a much better web browser overall.. Oh yeah and it has that plugin, and plenty more for japanese learners ;-)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
shaorankun (Offline)
New to JF

04-18-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbrowne View Post
I'm guessing Internet Explorer which does suck. Switch to firefox, it's faster, cleaner, and a much better web browser overall..
ouch, that hurt, bad guess. I haven't been using Windows for the last 8 years I'm an opera user who has a "firefox allergy", I've tested almost all versions (my first one was Phoenix 1.3) and I never liked it (and I won't never do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
This one is actually worth it.
hmm, perhaps I'll test this plugin.

Anyway, thank you for all answers.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dougbrowne (Offline)
JF Regular

04-18-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
ouch, that hurt, bad guess. I haven't been using Windows for the last 8 years I'm an opera user who has a "firefox allergy", I've tested almost all versions (my first one was Phoenix 1.3) and I never liked it (and I won't never do).
I see, sorry for stereotyping, it's just that most people who say things like "I'm not switching browsers for xxxxxx" are usually pretty uneducated on a subject such as internet browsers and use IE. I myself haven't used windows in years either. I don't really like Firefox's interface and only use it for reading japanese because of that plugin. Opera is nice, but I prefer safari..
(#9 (permalink))
Old
rison (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-18-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Try this solution. Use the internet browser "Mozilla" (I think it is also called firefox, but I might be wrong). After that download the add-on for that browser called Raichan. When you run that add-on a box will appear next any kanji you will place the pointer on. In that box you will find reading and meaning of the kanji.
I use Mozilla but I seem not understand how to download the raichan..please explain.thanks.

Orochimaru >>>>>Akatsuki,
(#10 (permalink))
Old
shaorankun (Offline)
New to JF

04-19-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
I see, sorry for stereotyping,
it's fine. I've found it funny that *I* got to read this. Usually I am the one who tell people to stop using IE.

Quote:
it's just that most people who say things like "I'm not switching browsers for xxxxxx" are usually pretty uneducated on a subject such as internet browsers and use IE.
yes, now that I read my post again I seems that way. But I had a lot of discussions with hyped-users that are always missioning firefox thus I react a little bit alergic when someone tells me, I should use Firefox.