(#11 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
05-02-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
No I was not talking about style or psycological aspect of it. I was talking about pure grammatical aspect of it. The word gender in some languages does not exist, it is used the word sex.
So in Italian to say have sex you use the word sex (fare sesso) and to say that a teacher is a male you say male sex (sesso maschile).
Same is for Japanese (I went check after Kirakiraさん mentioned it). To say a teacher is male you use the word 男性 and to say sexual relashionship you would use the phrase 性関係. Where in in English you would never say having gender with someone
I know, I was saying that in English there is one meaning of sex that corresponds with the word gender. If I had to translate the word 'sex' from a foreign language in this case I wouldn't find it improper to use either the word gender or sex, especially if the language I'm translating from doesn't make a distinction between the two words. I was trying to make the point that sex and gender are synonyms as long as you aren't taking sex to mean 'sexual intercourse' but 'sexual characteristics'.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-02-2009, 01:22 AM

@duo, I'm in the legal profession, so it's not nitpicky for me. It makes a huge difference for 14th Amendment jurisprudence here in the US, for example. "Sex" is a quasi-suspect class that causes sex discriminatory laws to get an intermediate scrutiny, while the Supreme Court has never classified "gender," but it very well could be classified as non-suspect and thus gender discriminatory laws would be a lot easier to pass.

And chryop, we're dealing with how to translate 性 into English, so it does not matter how Italian treats the sex/gender distinction. It matters how Japanese and English do. Depending on context, both languages treat them differently. My Japanese dictionary explains the usage of the neologism ジェンダー as a social construct and points out that it's different from the sexual characteristic.

But the dictionary does also translate 性 as both gender and sex. Although I'd be pretty surprised, based on past and current popular usage, if English dictionaries didn't do the same.

However, I wasn't arguing that you can't translate 性 as gender. I was arguing with kirakira's equating sex and gender in the English langauge. Sometimes it's important to be technical about distinctions, and with the rampant discrimination against women and homosexuals in the US, I'm very careful to point out the distinction between gender and sex in the English langauge.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
05-02-2009, 01:28 AM

When read as "SAGA", 性 means "by nature" or "what it was designed to be".

女の性(On-na no Saga) means female characteristics by nature.

株屋の性(kabu-ya no Saga) means stock trader's characteristics by nature.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Heihachirou (Offline)
New to JF

05-02-2009, 03:06 AM

性 is also read as "さが=saga=nature".

This character contains 生(life,born).

So it means inborn traits that you cannot change.

examples,

性別(せいべつ,seibetsu)=sex,gender

性質(せいしつ,seishitsu)=nature,traits

性格(せいかく,seikaku)=personality
(#15 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-02-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
And chryop, we're dealing with how to translate 性 into English, so it does not matter how Italian treats the sex/gender distinction. It matters how Japanese and English do.

Don't play the lawyer here and get too attached to words.
I just stated that some language don't make a difference between the 2 words to explain what to people might lookso weird since it works differently in English.

And just to point out no, here what matters is not Italian, Spanish or English. We are on a Japanese forum where most of us are studying Japanese, so Japanese matters. In case you didn't notice there is people in here studying Japanese from all over the world, so I guess many people are more interested in what a Japanese word means and how it works in a phrase instead of its English translation. If you can't study Japanese without translating into English I would say it is merely your problem and not mine.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ

Last edited by MMM : 05-04-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: fixed quote
(#16 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-02-2009, 07:08 PM

chryuop, you raise a very good point. I just assumed that OP was a native English speaker. This is, upon reflection, not necessarily a safe assumption.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

05-04-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
I'd say that differentiating between sex and gender is a stylistic/situational thing for english.
We are not talking about English, we are talking about Japanese (read the question). Sei means sex, it CAN mean gender ONLY as a COMPOUND, but by itself it means sex, the R18+ type.

Who cares if English has ambiguous meaning for sex, the person asked what a character means, if you have no idea (clearly the case), then listen!

Last edited by kirakira : 05-04-2009 at 01:03 AM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MaybeTomorrow (Offline)
New to JF

05-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pofo View Post

what does this mean?

I deleted original response I sent...it was duplicate, excuse me.

Last edited by MaybeTomorrow : 05-04-2009 at 01:58 PM.