LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

05-12-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I mean, would you consider コンピューター not Japanese? Would you consider しよう not Japanese because it's a Japanese attempt at pronouncing the Chinese 使 and 用?
コンピューター is not Japanese.
使用 is a Chinese loan word.
哲学、資本、経済 are created by the Japanese but now used in Chinese and Korean, technically in Chinese and Korean, they are loan words from Japanese.
Kanji is a loaned writing system.

But at the end of the day, WHO CARES.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-12-2009, 09:30 PM

コンピューター is so a Japanese word. 使用 is a Japanese word.

Is "croissant" not an English word? What about "naive"? "Doctor"? You realize "doctor" comes from French, right?

What makes a word "English"? I say that frequent use makes it part of the language.

And obviously I care. And obviously you care.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

05-13-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I say that frequent use makes it part of the language.
時間の無駄遣いだ。それよりも日本語を磨いたほうがい いじゃないですかね。
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-13-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Is "croissant" not an English word? What about "naive"? "Doctor"? You realize "doctor" comes from French, right?
That would be Doctor, spelled and pronounced extremely similarly to Médecin, right?

The word Doctor comes from Swahili, Daktari.

But do carry on. This is highly amusing.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-13-2009, 04:56 PM

Troo, that is absolutely not true.
Online Etymology Dictionary
Quote:
doctor
c.1303, "Church father," from O.Fr. doctour, from M.L. doctor "religious teacher, adviser, scholar," from L. doctor "teacher," from doct- stem of docere "to show, teach," originally "make to appear right," causative of decere "be seemly, fitting" (see decent). Familiar form doc first recorded c.1850. Meaning of "holder of highest degree in university" is first found c.1375; that of "medical professional" dates from 1377, though this was not common till late 16c. Verb sense of "alter, disguise, falsify" is first recorded 1774.
Please stop speaking of which you do not know. It is highly infuriating. Provide sources.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 05-13-2009 at 04:59 PM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-13-2009, 06:33 PM

Kyle, Italian is derived from Latin, I am not saying all my language is borrowed from Latin.

What I divide from becoming your own language and what is borrowed language is one thing: is that language still alive?
If you use a word that comes from a live language and thus it is still used in that foreign language, then it becomes a borrwed word, not a word belonging to your language.
If you use a word that belongs to an old and dead language, then that is a derived word and belongs to your own language.

Anyway, I guess we will all keep our own opinions, so I guess it is futile (any resistance lol) to continue.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#27 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-13-2009, 11:51 PM

chruop So if people started speaking Latin again, would the words from Latin no longer be Italian words? They would just stop being Italian simply because some idiots revived a distinct language?

You'd be hard-pressed to find a word in English that isn't from another language. Only neologisms seem to fit under your definition.

But obviously I'm not going to convince you. I just hope that I can convince other readers on the board.

I think a very simple test is "is the word in the dictionary"-test. If the word is in a Japanese dictionary, it's a Japanese word. If it's in the OED, it's an English word. Etc.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Troo (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-14-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Please stop speaking of which you do not know. It is highly infuriating. Provide sources.
Ah yes, a single source on the internet. Quick, let me just go write a wikipedia article and link to it as proof of my own genius.

Docteur (that would be Docteur, not Doctour, as your *cough* "highly reputable internet source" claims), Daktari and Doctor share the same Latin root... A language which itself was derived from Greek, Phoenician and Umbrian, which were derived from... Oh it goes on. You get the idea.

I'll just drop you a hyperlink to the evidence... Oh, wait, I can't. It's in actual, real, physical books on my bookshelves. The kind of books where they were proofread before being slapped on the internet and claimed as The One Truth.

Seriously though, you've got no grasp of how language spreads and evolves. You think "a priori" is English because you use it and "ergo" isn't because you personally don't.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a suitcase to pack. 私は東京に行きます.

A Troo with a View - Travel blog, Troo style.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-14-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troo View Post
Now if you'll excuse me, I have a suitcase to pack. 私は東京に行きます.

***LOADING UP HIS GUN AND AIMING AT TROO***

Dang it if I am envious... 東京に行かないなら、トルーさんも行けない。

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-14-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
chruop So if people started speaking Latin again, would the words from Latin no longer be Italian words? They would just stop being Italian simply because some idiots revived a distinct language?

You'd be hard-pressed to find a word in English that isn't from another language. Only neologisms seem to fit under your definition.

But obviously I'm not going to convince you. I just hope that I can convince other readers on the board.

I think a very simple test is "is the word in the dictionary"-test. If the word is in a Japanese dictionary, it's a Japanese word. If it's in the OED, it's an English word. Etc.
well your doing a bad job of convincing the "others" on here. Or at least me. I can see where your coming from....but it still is wrong in my opinion. Not like it matters what I say, your never going to see it any other way, which is fine.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.