JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-11-2009, 05:49 PM

I usually raccommend this book. It has some kanji (not many) and furigana on them. It is written in bi-language even tho the English version could be a guideline, but far from a literal translation (in fact a few times I had to ask for help in this forum). The book is at kids' level, I mean phrases construct is kept rather easy and not with multiple relative clauses or weird verb constructions.
Remember tho that it is a book written for kids and not always they are the easiest to read, plus stories are mostly about old people so I guess the way of talking is a little bit different...that is what I was told when I asked to explain me the construction of a phrase whose meaning I could understand, but not the construction. The phrase is the following よめをとらんといかんのう...I wrote so that you can have an idea of what certain phrases might look like. In this phrase for example the author didn't use any kanji (which are 嫁、取る、行く), while in other cases he uses kanji in the whole phrase.
Up to you...btw, stories are kinda simple with a plain moral...just the ones you tell kids.
Sasuga Books

EDIT: Glad I always check the links I give. Don't know why, but it won't give the page of the book directly. However from that link look at the top left side of the page. In the quick search there is already the title in...just click GO.

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ

Last edited by chryuop : 05-11-2009 at 05:54 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-11-2009, 10:42 PM

Warning: books only written in kana are, in my opinion, harder to read for non-native beginners than books with kanji.

My first semester learning Japanese I could more easily read Blackjack (an adult-level manga) than Doraemon (a kid-level manga). This is because with kanji you have at least some hint of which words are being used and the divisions between words.

With only kana, you're not going to know where one "word" ends and another begins.

Note that if you're not a beginner, what I've said doesn't hold true. But if you can't read kanji, I'd say you're probably a beginner.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
05-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Agree with KyleGoatz ^
I'm even having a hard time reading Dragonball just due to the lack of Kanji (and cause my Japanese isn't amazing)

You can find basically any manga in it's original Japanese on sasugabooks.com or of course amazon.

猿も木から落ちる
(#14 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
05-11-2009, 11:24 PM

I almost think it would be better to read the "hard" stuff, because then I will learn how to identify particles and other parts of grammar alot better. In other words, I'd be challenging myself to it. I feel like you could learn more that way, but I may be wrong.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

05-11-2009, 11:31 PM

That's good thinking ^^

I think most of these use frequent Kanji:

parfait tic
good morning call
hana yori dango
ai yori aoshi
inital D
20th Century Boys
Berserk
Pluto
Yakitake!! Japan (not sure about this one)
Black Cat
GANTZ

Etc...

猿も木から落ちる
(#16 (permalink))
Old
lizzey (Offline)
Banned

05-12-2009, 12:37 AM

I don't know if you like reading series but here are some really good ones:

Night World Vol. 1,2, &3. (Is about Vampires, Shape shifters, Witches & etc.)

I higly recommend you to read The City of Bones is really funny and has a lot of action.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
05-12-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
That's good thinking ^^

I think most of these use frequent Kanji:

Yakitake!! Japan (not sure about this one)
GANTZ

Etc...
From what I've read of Yakitate Japan, I'd suggest you stay away from it as a beginner. You could probably translate a fair amount of it, but a lot of it seems to be japanese language puns that be confusing to a beginner.

As for gantz, read at your own peril. That manga is... well... Gantz is really REALLY weird the later on you get into the series.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

05-12-2009, 01:09 AM

uh how about Junie B Jones? LOL thats for first graders.

Try the demon in the tea House
(#19 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

05-12-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
From what I've read of Yakitate Japan, I'd suggest you stay away from it as a beginner. You could probably translate a fair amount of it, but a lot of it seems to be japanese language puns that be confusing to a beginner.

As for gantz, read at your own peril. That manga is... well... Gantz is really REALLY weird the later on you get into the series.
lol...

I've watched Yakitate all the way through and read GANTZ and the way through. (both raw original Japanese of course, so no garbage translating)

And IMO Yakitate is way more weirder than GANTZ.
GANTZ was pretty cool, didn't really think it was weird, but Yakitate was weird because of how childish it was...

猿も木から落ちる
(#20 (permalink))
Old
darksyndrem (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to darksyndrem
05-12-2009, 01:53 AM

Thank You everyone for the recommendations!! You guys are a huge help!!!
And please, no English books? I mean, it vexes me to see English books being recommended in the Japanese Help Thread. But anways, I've been reading ドラえもん for the past like hour and have gotten past the first two bubbles (two sentences) looool