JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
KellyMD (Offline)
JF Regular

Help with translation - 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM

Hello. I was translating a chapter of a manga, but I stumbled upon a few phrases I was unsure about. So, I was hoping maybe someone could help me out :]? Here are the phrases:

今日のうちに全部飲んじゃって缶だけになったら燃えな いゴミに捨ててやる
Does this say something like "If I drink it all on today & it becomes just a can, I'll throw it into the non-combustible garbage" ?

自分残せないかなー
"I wish to leave myself behind" ?

携帯に音楽室は残せる
"The music room is saved on my cell phone" ?

青春の1ページに彼女と並んでカレー味の唐揚げを食べ たこと
What is "青春の1ページ"...?

だって 向こう行ったら向こう彼女作るんたべ?
"Because, if you go far away it's the food that your far away girlfriend made?" ?

エビちゃんみたいな子と出会って恋するんたべ?
"The food that will make you fall in love if you meet a girl like Ebi?" ?

シュウと一緒に見た夕焼けずっとずっと取っとこ
I dont understand "取っとこ"

Thank you :]

Last edited by KellyMD : 05-20-2009 at 09:22 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2009, 08:57 PM

I say in advance that I am a student so I am surely wrong. Mine are guesses.

1_ Should I become a can, only thing that can keep down all that in a day, throw me in a non flammable trash.
2_ Leave behind oneself.
3_ Being English not my language, not sure if to English people this will make sense (not to me)
my dictionary calls it music room, thus it should say music room can be saved on the cell phone. But not a clue what a music room is, unless it is a way of calling the door bell...
4_ However, if you go one direction, she would probably make it for the other.
5_ You would surely fall in love when you meet a girl like Ebi.
6_ I have to give up. I think it means "it took the whole sunset, which I looked at with Shyu".

If not else I might have given some Native speakers a good laugh

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ

Last edited by chryuop : 05-20-2009 at 09:19 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
sindri59 (Offline)
New to JF

Smeh - 05-20-2009, 09:23 PM

Are you sure that the たべ at the end of those 2 sentences isnt "だ べ" which is similar to だろう or でしょう. In the tohoku and kantou dialects.

Like だって 向こう行ったら向こう彼女作るんたべ? Would make much more sense and it would be if im not mistaken "If you go there, you'll get a girlfriend there(or meet a girl there)."

"青春の1ページ" I think this means the beginning of youth or the start of youth.

エビちゃんみたいな子と出会って恋するんたべ? After meeting a Girl like Ebi Chan you'll fall in love with her. (or maybe its not that strong, "really like her"?)

As i say i might be wrong but worth a try.

Last edited by sindri59 : 05-20-2009 at 09:25 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KellyMD (Offline)
JF Regular

05-20-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindri59 View Post
Are you sure that the たべ at the end of those 2 sentences isnt "だ べ" which is similar to だろう or でしょう. In the tohoku and kantou dialects.

Like だって 向こう行ったら向こう彼女作るんたべ? Would make much more sense and it would be if im not mistaken "If you go there, you'll get a girlfriend there(or meet a girl there)."

"青春の1ページ" I think this means the beginning of youth or the start of youth.

エビちゃんみたいな子と出会って恋するんたべ? After meeting a Girl like Ebi Chan you'll fall in love with her. (or maybe its not that strong, "really like her"?)

As i say i might be wrong but worth a try.
xD Yeah, it is in fact "だべ". That makes much more sense; I was a bit confused. I guess I just overlooked the tentens on the たs since I've never seen "だべ" before and just assumed it meant food since the scene was about food >.<;;.Thank you so much for your help, it's much appreciated :]
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-20-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMD View Post
Hello. I was translating a chapter of a manga, but I stumbled upon a few phrases I was unsure about. So, I was hoping maybe someone could help me out :]? Here are the phrases:
今日のうちに全部飲んじゃって缶だけになったら燃えな いゴミに捨ててやる
Does this say something like "If I drink it all on today & it becomes just a can, I'll throw it into the non-combustible garbage" ? Precisely, yes!

自分残せないかなー
"I wish to leave myself behind" ? Needs context. All I know for sure is that it has nothing to do with leaving behind. Sounds more like "memory making" that is being talked about here.

携帯に音楽室は残せる
"The music room is saved on my cell phone" ? "Can be" to be exact.

青春の1ページに彼女と並んでカレー味の唐揚げを食べ たこと
What is "青春の1ページ"...? "青春の1ページ" is very often used to mean "an episode of my youth" or "a memory from my youth".

だって 向こう行ったら向こう彼女作るんたべ?
"Because, if you go far away it's the food that your far away girlfriend made?" ? Where did you get "food"? This means "Because if you go over there, you will get a GF there."

エビちゃんみたいな子と出会って恋するんたべ?
"The food that will make you fall in love if you meet a girl like Ebi?" ? "Food" again? I don't know what word from the original you thought meant "food".
This means "You're gonna encounter a girl like Ebi-chan (a well-known model in Japan) and fall in love, aren't ya?"

シュウと一緒に見た夕焼けずっとずっと取っとこ
I dont understand "取っとこ" 取っとこ is the colloquial way of saying 取っておこう.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KellyMD (Offline)
JF Regular

05-21-2009, 12:28 AM

Thank you very much for your help, Nagoyankee :]
And as for "自分残せないかな", this was said after the main character tries to leave a handprint on the chalkboard of the music room. I got the sense that she wished to be able to leave some of herself behind in the room or something like that.

The whole food thing was a result of misreading だべ as たべ and then assuming たべ was a shortened form for food since they were talking about food >.< A stupid mistake on my part >.<

Thank you very much again :] Your help was much appreciated.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

05-21-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMD View Post
Thank you very much for your help, Nagoyankee :]
And as for "自分残せないかな", this was said after the main character tries to leave a handprint on the chalkboard of the music room. I got the sense that she wished to be able to leave some of herself behind in the room or something like that.
Okay, in that case, the phrase means "I wonder if I could leave a proof that I was here."
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KellyMD (Offline)
JF Regular

05-21-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
Okay, in that case, the phrase means "I wonder if I could leave a proof that I was here."
Alright, thank you again
(#9 (permalink))
Old
YoshimiTheEthereal (Offline)
Neo-Nebula

05-25-2009, 02:55 AM

Will someone please tell me what these words mean? I am trying to translate a song and cannot find the translation of these words anywhere! I would really appreciate some help.

Ukanda
nobitekite
suikomareteyuku
mitorete
todokanai
mezamete
samayou
tsutsumarete
kizutsuketa
kizukazu
sakaseteta
nozonda
agerereba (Is this the potential form of "agereru"?)
yokatta
ososugita
goro
tori-atte
surechigai
egaku
wasureyou
shite
omoeba
nara
someteku
somatta

Wow, I'm sorry there are so many! It's also harder for me to find translations because my computer won't type or display Japanese characters, so I can't even use an online translator, which I know are bad, but . . . anyway, any help will be very much appreciated!

Quote:
"And so, if you say in a beautiful rose there are thorns, in Lareine there is me, and behind that there are these guys (Emiru, Mayu, and Machi)."
~Kamijo
(Kamijo is the beautiful rose and Emiru, Mayu, and Machi are the thorns.)
(#10 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
05-25-2009, 03:58 AM

Even if you have to post in romaji, I think you'd be more likely to receive help if you posted the entire song and bolded the words you're confused about. Also, agerereba isn't the potential form of anything. The potential form, first of all, is agerareru (or if you shorten it, which it probably would be in a song, agereru). I'm almost positive the -ba form is a conditional, and you would drop the last -ru and add -ba anyways, so I think you might have made a mistake in copying, but I could be wrong.

Edit: This should also be posted in the stickied thread at the top of the forum, not this one. If you do post the full song lyrics, post them in that thread, not this one.