Quick help.

Can someone translate this

どうなんでしょうね
好きだけど、最近どうもね。本音で

In the context of someone asked

"カノジョとどうですか"

Thanks in advance
Wanna show us your own attempt?

EDIT: Nevermind. You went offline. It means roughly "Well, how should I put it? I like her but lately, things aren't going well to be honest."

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.

Last edited by masaegu : 09-01-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old
Magnus (Offline)
New to JF

How do I say 'I missed you'? - 09-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm meeting a special person I haven't seen in a long time soon, and want to tell that person 'I missed you' when we meet again.

So i've been pondering over how to best say this, and landed on 会いたかった and 恋しかった.

Which of these would suit the situation best do you think? or would it perhaps even be other ways of saying it that are more commonly used?

thanks in advance
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

09-01-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm meeting a special person I haven't seen in a long time soon, and want to tell that person 'I missed you' when we meet again.

So i've been pondering over how to best say this, and landed on 会いたかった and 恋しかった.

Which of these would suit the situation best do you think? or would it perhaps even be other ways of saying it that are more commonly used?

thanks in advance
Check out the first two examples. I don't think you're too far off the mark so far: “i missed you”の検索結果(22 件):英辞郎 on the WEB:スペースアルク
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

09-01-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone,

thanks in advance
It mostly depends on the relationship between the two of you. You do know what 「恋」 means by itself, dontcha?

Old
Magnus (Offline)
New to JF

09-01-2011, 05:53 PM

thanks for reminding me of the wonders of google. Found my answer, and it seems aitakatta would work best. I also learnt that sabishikatta too could be used to say 'I missed you'.
Old
Magnus (Offline)
New to JF

09-01-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
It mostly depends on the relationship between the two of you. You do know what 「恋」 means by itself, dontcha?
You're right, and because I don't think we're quite there yet I decided to drop it and stay with aitakatta.

Thanks a lot.
Old
Magnus (Offline)
New to JF

slang - 09-03-2011, 01:22 PM

Right, so I'm back again and this time I'm reading a japanese book and came over some slang I couldn't quite find the meaning of neither through google or dictionaries. it's a ーっちまえ grammar pattern, although it does seem a bit similar to ーしまう but I really can't be sure..

here's the whole sentence I found it from やるだけやっちまえ

If anyone could shed any light on the meaning of this piece of slang and also the meaning of the sentence I would be incredibly grateful!
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

09-03-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Right, so I'm back again and this time I'm reading a japanese book and came over some slang I couldn't quite find the meaning of neither through google or dictionaries. it's a ーっちまえ grammar pattern, although it does seem a bit similar to ーしまう but I really can't be sure..

here's the whole sentence I found it from やるだけやっちまえ

If anyone could shed any light on the meaning of this piece of slang and also the meaning of the sentence I would be incredibly grateful!
やっちまえ < やってしまえ

やっちまえ is not really slang but the tough guy's colloquial speech around Tokyo. The toughest guy would say it 「やっちめー」.

「やるだけやっちまえ」, by itself with no context, is nearly impossible to translate because 「やる」 can mean both "to do" and "to give". It CAN mean:
"Do whatever you wanna do with it."
"Do it anyway (without worrying about the results)."
"Do it quickly (if you do not want to do it thoroughly)."
"Give it to him/them quickly."
"Give it to him/them (and see what happens). "
, etc.

Last edited by masaegu : 09-03-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

09-03-2011, 03:50 PM

Having trouble with this:

Quote:
「~きました」と書くと、今は日本に住んでいるみたい なカンジになっちゃうので、ちょっと直しました
It's a correction on my blog, I know that '直しました' means fixed, right? Basically, they corrected my sentence from:

- イギリスからきました、ブラッドフォードに住んでいま す。

to

- イギリスのブラッドフォードに住んでいます。

From what I can get, they are telling me that I used 'きました' which means I'm from England, then I go on to say I live in Bradford, which is in England. So if I'm living in England now, then I can just say 'イギリスのブラッドフォードに住んでいます。'

Is that correct? Thanks! ^_^

Quote:
「大阪と東京はとても凄いですよ!」というと、大阪と 東京に行ったことがない人に、大阪と東京がすごいと伝 えている印象があります。

「大阪と東京はとても凄いですね!」というと、大阪と 東京に行ったことがある人や住んでいる人に、すごいと 思ったよ、と伝えている印象があります。

この場合、読んでいる人のほとんどが日本人だと思うの で、文末が「ね!」の方がよいと思いました!
^ Also I just got this, expressing the differences between よ and ね. I'm finding it hard to understand the answer, I THINK it's saying, to Japanese people it is better to use 'ね' because they live in Japan (if you get what I mean.) So what are the differences and can you please help explain the answer for me?

Sorry it's a lot ^_^;

Last edited by MissMisa : 09-03-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Closed Thread