JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Do you purchase doujin?
Yes, I'm rich! 5 12.50%
Yes, money is dissipating fast! 0 0%
No, I read raws/scanlations 16 40.00%
No, what are they? 19 47.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-29-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesei View Post
I didn't mean to offend you, but I'm not trying to be naive. While I understand that it takes many, many years to fully master Japanese and that it's very time-consuming to translate, I'm not asking anything of you. Although paying professionals to translate doujin would be better, not every translator fluent in Japanese is paid. Some just want to sharpen their skills in the language or just want to help translate because they are interested and offer their services for free. This is why I am thankful to the hundreds or even thousands of translators who break the language barrier everyday so that millions of us can read doujinshi in languages that we are familiar with. I also want to become a translator for that very reason, which is why I'm trying to learn Japanese in the first place.

Again, I did not post this to offend you or anyone else. I am merely trying to voice my opinion on this matter.

And I do support domestic translators by buying English-translated manga and English dubbed anime. People who actually work in the manga industry work too hard so they deserve lots of support from fans and consumers.
Don't worry, you did not offend me. In my experience the people that do translate doujinshi for free are either 1) fans of the title or 2) trying to build a resume.

Skill-sharpening is something students do. Pro-bono is something lawyers do.

I do wish you the best hope it works out.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-29-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
i have learned a lot from romaji
Me too. When I began learning Japanese, Romaji helped me a lot. However, I gradually prefer Kanji/Kana over Romaji as I became more and more familiar with this system since it's more helpful. But still, using Romaji for beginner is a must before they become familiar enough.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-29-2009, 10:02 PM

delacroix, you should learn the SKIP method. It's hands down the most efficient way to look up a kanji in a physical dictionary.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-30-2009, 03:25 PM

Thanks for your advice, but that would be when I save enough money to buy a really good one then. I don't want to waste my money on cheap but not really good ones in my city, as my allowance is very low.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
mangafreak (Offline)
EAT THE CAKE!

doujin - 05-30-2009, 06:25 PM

i sort of have a faint idea, but what exactly is doujin?

"Why waste good technology on science and medicine? Play video games instead."
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-30-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangafreak View Post
i sort of have a faint idea, but what exactly is doujin?
Fan made manga.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-30-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
I suggest you go to an anime/manga fansite and get their help. Do not confuse "Japanese scholars/learners" with "manga fans." I suspect you've made this mistake and my proof is that you lack a "I know what doujin are but don't read them" choice in your poll. I guess your assumption is that anyone who speaks Japanese and knows of doujin must read them.
LOL quoted for truth. OP = fail.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#18 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-30-2009, 10:38 PM

Delacroix, try this one: Amazon.com: The Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary: Jack Halpern: Books
I own that and the more academic version as well. The one I've linked you to is less than $30. I think that's about what a couple of doujin cost, no? The dictionary is far more valuable than another two manga where Tuxedo Mask and Ash from Pokemon make love.

And mangafreak, doujinshi is 同人誌. It's basically like "the aforementioned person's magazine" or "coterie's magazine."
(#19 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2009, 03:43 AM

Oh thanks. That would be the one I'm looking for. Including the shipping fee, it will be nearly $50, and that's 6 months of saving to me
(#20 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-31-2009, 10:02 AM

Ouch. I feel your pain. Is there no bookstore in Vietnam that might stock it? Amazon has a lot of country-specific websites. Is there a Vietnamese Amazon.vn or something?