JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Do you purchase doujin?
Yes, I'm rich! 5 12.50%
Yes, money is dissipating fast! 0 0%
No, I read raws/scanlations 16 40.00%
No, what are they? 19 47.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
amesei (Offline)
New to JF

Doujinshi translation - 05-29-2009, 05:57 AM

I've posted this before, but the thread/link is broken for some reason. =(

I have a couple of doujinshi that I will scan. Most of them are gag and some are shounen-ai and soft-core yaoi. However, I am still a beginner in Japanese and I am requesting help from anyone who is interested in helping me translate them with romaji, explanations, and everything else since I would also like to learn from them.

The series that I have are:

-Higurashi no naku koro ni (1) - gag
-Hikaru no Go (5) - gag/shounen-ai/soft-core yaoi
-Inuyasha (1) - gag
-Gundam Seed (1) - hetero/gag
-Naruto (6) - gag

Anyone who has the capabilities and is interested, please post here or pm me your resume.

EDIT - By "resume", I just mean that I want proof of your fluency in the Japanese language. This will not be a paid position because people normally translate doujinshi in their free time for FREE so that others can read them.

Last edited by amesei : 05-29-2009 at 06:49 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-29-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesei View Post
I've posted this before, but the thread/link is broken for some reason. =(

I have a couple of doujinshi that I will scan. Most of them are gag and some are shounen-ai and soft-core yaoi. However, I am still a beginner in Japanese and I am requesting help from anyone who is interested in helping me translate them with romaji, explanations, and everything else since I would also like to learn from them.

The series that I have are:

-Higurashi no naku koro ni (1) - gag
-Hikaru no Go (5) - gag/shounen-ai/soft-core yaoi
-Inuyasha (1) - gag
-Gundam Seed (1) - hetero/gag
-Naruto (6) - gag

Anyone who has the capabilities and is interested, please post here or pm me your resume.
You are taking resumes? How much are you offering per character?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

05-29-2009, 06:35 AM

You can't learn anything from Romaji.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
amesei (Offline)
New to JF

05-29-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You are taking resumes? How much are you offering per character?
I'm sorry, I wasn't specific enough >.< Please forgive me. What I mean by having someone's "resume" is that I want proof that they are fluent enough in the language. I wasn't thinking of paying since most people scanlate doujinshi in their leisure time for free (like the people at Aku-tenshi, whose example I followed).
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-29-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesei View Post
I'm sorry, I wasn't specific enough >.< Please forgive me. What I mean by having someone's "resume" is that I want proof that they are fluent enough in the language. I wasn't thinking of paying since most people scanlate doujinshi in their leisure time for free (like the people at Aku-tenshi, whose example I followed).
I will say this as nicely as I can. I didn't spend all the years I did learning Japanese to translate doujinshi for free. If you can find someone willing to do it, best to you, but at least here you will find professionals that do it for money or amateurs who are not qualified.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
amesei (Offline)
New to JF

05-29-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
You can't learn anything if there is only romaji. Without kana and kanji, romaji isn't that helpful, I know. Doujinshi don't have the furigana, so I wouldn't be able to read unfamiliar kanji.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
amesei (Offline)
New to JF

05-29-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I will say this as nicely as I can. I didn't spend all the years I did learning Japanese to translate doujinshi for free. If you can find someone willing to do it, best to you, but at least here you will find professionals that do it for money or amateurs who are not qualified.
I didn't mean to offend you, but I'm not trying to be naive. While I understand that it takes many, many years to fully master Japanese and that it's very time-consuming to translate, I'm not asking anything of you. Although paying professionals to translate doujin would be better, not every translator fluent in Japanese is paid. Some just want to sharpen their skills in the language or just want to help translate because they are interested and offer their services for free. This is why I am thankful to the hundreds or even thousands of translators who break the language barrier everyday so that millions of us can read doujinshi in languages that we are familiar with. I also want to become a translator for that very reason, which is why I'm trying to learn Japanese in the first place.

Again, I did not post this to offend you or anyone else. I am merely trying to voice my opinion on this matter.

And I do support domestic translators by buying English-translated manga and English dubbed anime. People who actually work in the manga industry work too hard so they deserve lots of support from fans and consumers.

Last edited by amesei : 05-29-2009 at 07:19 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

05-29-2009, 07:23 AM

I'll second MMM's words. Hell, I'm not a professional and I still charge $$ for that sort of thing.

I suggest you go to an anime/manga fansite and get their help. Do not confuse "Japanese scholars/learners" with "manga fans." I suspect you've made this mistake and my proof is that you lack a "I know what doujin are but don't read them" choice in your poll. I guess your assumption is that anyone who speaks Japanese and knows of doujin must read them.

Check out places like Jpopsuki or something else—you'll find more people there interested in helping startup a scanslation group. Try anipike to see what is there. Is anipike still around? I haven't been there in over a decade (now I feel like an old internet soul!).
(#9 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-29-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Doujinshi don't have the furigana, so I wouldn't be able to read unfamiliar kanji.
Well, whenever I see an unfamiliar Kanji, I just use a radical-based dictionary (JiShop, for example) to find it. It doesn't take much time if you are familiar with radicals, unless it's handwritten. I learn Japanese not to write nor speak, just to understand what Japanese people says, so I care more about learning grammar than learning Kanji, yet Japanese grammar is still mind-blowing to me. But well, I often understand about 80 to 95% when reading manga in Japanese. I can help on one or two doujinshi, so PM me if you want. But remember I'm still an amateur compare to many people here, so I can't promise anything.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Taranee987 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Taranee987 Send a message via Yahoo to Taranee987 Send a message via Skype™ to Taranee987
05-29-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
yes you can i have learned a lot from romaji

Are you nice to people they usually are nice back