JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Kvon (Offline)
New to JF

Exclamation japanese help with 3 words - 05-30-2009, 09:14 PM

I'm looking for the kanji symbols for Respect, Honor, and loyalty. i want to make these symbols and put them on my bike. so good clean pictures would be appreciated
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-30-2009, 09:25 PM

尊敬
敬意
忠義

Keep in mind that high-concept words like these rarely mean the exact same thing in English. In the dictionary there are many options, but I chose the ones that are close to what I think you are looking for. Respect and Honor are almost interchangeable.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

05-31-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
[size="7"]Keep in mind that high-concept words like these rarely mean the exact same thing in English. In the dictionary there are many options, but I chose the ones that are close to what I think you are looking for. Respect and Honor are almost interchangeable.
I think the translation for Honour is a bit off. 尊敬 and 敬意 all mean respect. It should be

栄誉(えいよ)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-31-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
I think the translation for Honour is a bit off. 尊敬 and 敬意 all mean respect. It should be

栄誉(えいよ)
栄誉
accolade // crown // garland // gloriousness // kudos〔【語源】「栄光・名声」を意味するギリシャ語( 数名詞)。◆【用法】しばしば-sが英語の複数語尾と誤解され複数扱いされる。その場 単数形として、逆成されたkudoが使われることもある。 // laurel〔複数形で〕 // luster // privilege(個人の)

It just depends, kirakira, like I said in my first post.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

05-31-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
栄誉
accolade // crown // garland // gloriousness // kudos〔【語源】「栄光・名声」を意味するギリシャ語( 数名詞)。◆【用法】しばしば-sが英語の複数語尾と誤解され複数扱いされる。その場 単数形として、逆成されたkudoが使われることもある。 // laurel〔複数形で〕 // luster // privilege(個人の)

It just depends, kirakira, like I said in my first post.
Interesting, because a simple search using an online dictinoary yields the following.

えいよ 栄誉
honor; glory.

・〜を受ける receive the salute of a guard of honor.
国民栄誉賞 a National Honor Award.

I agree with you that it depends on context. I think 栄誉 is the least ambiguous when it comes to meaning "honour".
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-31-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirakira View Post
Interesting, because a simple search using an online dictinoary yields the following.

えいよ 栄誉
honor; glory.

・〜を受ける receive the salute of a guard of honor.
国民栄誉賞 a National Honor Award.

I agree with you that it depends on context. I think 栄誉 is the least ambiguous when it comes to meaning "honour".
I agree. I was thinking more of the "respect" honor than the "glory" honor, but it will be up to the OP to decide what works best for him. We are both showing that these kinds of words are not always easy to translate 100% into a simple word.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
kirakira (Offline)
己所不欲勿施於人

05-31-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I agree. I was thinking more of the "respect" honor than the "glory" honor, but it will be up to the OP to decide what works best for him. We are both showing that these kinds of words are not always easy to translate 100% into a simple word.
Yep 100% agreed.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Kvon (Offline)
New to JF

06-05-2009, 06:12 PM

Well i do appreciate the help. only problem is that i have squares on the page. i guess i don't have the proper language installed on the computer. is there a chance of getting a link to a picture or something like that?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Try this:

How to enable Japanese characters on your PC
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Kvon (Offline)
New to JF

06-10-2009, 09:36 PM

Ok that did work. but are there different fonts to use? cause the one that illustrator is using right now is sloppy and nowhere near as clean as the one used on the site. any suggestions? Also i really appreciate all the help