LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-02-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Does "just my 67 cents" work as well?
Not really. "Just my 2 cents" or "Just my $.02" or "let me give you my two cents" or "This is just my two cents, but ..." etc., are the proper usages. The "correct" is two cents.

However, you will sometimes see someone varying it on the internet (I've never seen it as anything other than two cents outside of the internet). This is mainly just artistic license or change in country. I could very easily see someone in Japan saying in English "Let me give you my two yen on the situation" or something like that. I've seen people online talk about .02 euro as well, but I think this still is read "two cents" since "cent" means "one part of 100" in this case.

Saying something like 67 cents sounds wrong. However, I think if I encountered it in a bit of writing by a native, I would assume he deformed the original on purpose and is maybe trying to joke that his opinion is a bit more valuable. However, this is not in any way an "official" interpretation. It's sort of like reading a poem. Using the word "house" (like "2 cents") would "correctly" mean a place you live, but it could metaphorically mean something else that could depend on the reader.

In any case, "two" is the "correct" default usage. It is very rare to see anything other than "two," and anyone who uses something other than "two" (barring exceptions I've mentioned above) probably knows they're using it "wrongly."

Edit: Wikipedia has a page on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_two_cents_(idiom)

Edit 2: Also, "his two cents," "her two cents," "their two cents," etc. also are equally correct (albeit rare) in my opinion. "He gave his two cents on the topic" sounds absolutely correct. "He/she/I gave his/her/my three cents" sounds like the author made a mistake or wanted to change it on purpose for a joke or some artistic reason.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 06-02-2009 at 01:24 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
06-02-2009, 01:53 PM

Thank you very much for your detailed and proved information and I'm sorry for asking such queer question.

As I do not really understand English well, these information is very useful.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-02-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
Thank you very much for your detailed and proved information and I'm sorry for asking such queer question.

As I do not really understand English well, these information is very useful.
Hahahaa you don't know what weird question is till you hear the questions I ask about Japanese language
Anyway, I wondered about the 2 cents too when I saw it at first used in internet.
Just to add something. I have heard someone using an amount higher than 2 cents. I have heard people saying "this is my 50 cents" or other, but it was made in a sarcastic way. I have heard people using it when they were giving an opinion based on their wide knowledge and by saying "this is my 50 cents" they meant a sarcastic way to mean "it is not my opinion".

But I am not a native so...as we say in Italy: 青白いイデアがない (I don't have a clue).

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#14 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-02-2009, 06:20 PM

Just to point out something quickly, to me, the use of "queer" like that is perfect dictionary usage. However, "queer" can also mean "homosexual." There are odd cultural undertones to the use of that word (gays use the word in very specific manner in the US, but it can also be used derogatorily by homophobes).

Your intent is not obscured by these undertones. However, I just wanted to point it out. I tend not to use the word "queer" because of these undertones. However, it's just a personal choice. I probably do use it in a joking manner occasionally when I want to sound old-timey.

Growing up, there was a game played in Texas with a football called "smear the queer." Basically, whoever has the ball is the "queer" and you're supposed to catch him and beat him up. Only now do I realize how horrifically hateful that game was, encouraging young children to assault homosexuals (or, at the very least, making light of such assaults).
(#15 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

06-03-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
and by saying "this is my 50 cents" they meant a sarcastic way to mean "it is not my opinion".
Interesting!!

it is my surprise next to finding the word "infamous".
When I encountered "infamous", I expected it has opposite meaning of "famous". As I understand "famous" as "popular (known to many people)", I expected "infamous" as "not popular (know to few people)". But the fact is that "infamous" means "known as bad to many people" as you know.

青白いイデアがない: this could lead another interesting issue.

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

06-03-2009, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Just to point out something quickly, to me, the use of "queer" like that is perfect dictionary usage. However, "queer" can also mean "homosexual." There are odd cultural undertones to the use of that word (gays use the word in very specific manner in the US, but it can also be used derogatorily by homophobes).
Wow, thank you for your pointing out. I first tend to use "strange" instead of "queer". but something hit me with the phrase "queer fish" and I used it after checking with dictionary.

I will seal it up until I come across suitable situation (when?).

... and
(#17 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-03-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKid View Post
青白いイデアがない: this could lead another interesting issue.
Why is that? Don't tell me it has a meaning in Japanese as well. That would be a surprise...

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#18 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-03-2009, 03:06 AM

Pragmatics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pragmatics, the greatest factor why machine translation always fail.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-03-2009, 07:36 AM

RadioKid, we in Texas (maybe other places in the US as well?) have a saying: "queer as a three dollar bill." I think this is the "odd" usage rather than "homosexual" usage in this phrase. I think this is an acceptable idiom to use, although I don't know if you want to sound Texan or not.

The point of the phrase is that there's no such thing as a $3 bill, so a $3 would be odd (i.e., queer). Fake denominations of United States currency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(#20 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

06-03-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chryuop View Post
Why is that? Don't tell me it has a meaning in Japanese as well. That would be a surprise...
No, unfortunately, we have no such saying about the opinion and the money.

However, it is very interesting to talk about these kind of trivia of each language with foreign people. Discovery of caltual difference often exist among these trivias.

青白いイデアがない: Does this mean "Absent of Pale idea" in English?

Quote:
Pragmatics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pragmatics, the greatest factor why machine translation always fail.
Thank you Komitsuki. I will check it later on.

Quote:
RadioKid, we in Texas (maybe other places in the US as well?) have a saying: "queer as a three dollar bill." I think this is the "odd" usage rather than "homosexual" usage in this phrase. I think this is an acceptable idiom to use, although I don't know if you want to sound Texan or not.

The point of the phrase is that there's no such thing as a $3 bill, so a $3 would be odd (i.e., queer). Fake denominations of United States currency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Texas was where I firstly visit in US. Then I could not uderstnad what they said at all....

... and

Last edited by RadioKid : 06-03-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Get three responces together