LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-02-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khengi View Post
It's a running gag between some friends and mine, and it would take forever to explain. I'm only partially fluent (fluent enough to teach), but I still have a ways to go.

In no way do I claim full fluency (in fact, to stop this from happening, I took it out).
Gotcha. And I wasn't trying to criticize you so much as I balk at people misleadingly claiming fluency on this board. I've repeatedly said that even I'm not fluent even though my Japanese is pretty good, and I think the word "fluent" is used often by people who ought to claim they are "conversational."

There are times on this board where people who lack experience in Japanese advise new members incorrectly and are misleading in doing so, and that is what I'm not a fan of. Hence my comment.

But I wasn't trying to sound angry or anything. If I did, I'm sorry.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Khengi (Offline)
JF Regular

07-02-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Gotcha. And I wasn't trying to criticize you so much as I balk at people misleadingly claiming fluency on this board. I've repeatedly said that even I'm not fluent even though my Japanese is pretty good, and I think the word "fluent" is used often by people who ought to claim they are "conversational."

There are times on this board where people who lack experience in Japanese advise new members incorrectly and are misleading in doing so, and that is what I'm not a fan of. Hence my comment.

But I wasn't trying to sound angry or anything. If I did, I'm sorry.
Oh, no, no, no! In no way do I feel you were being malicious, as I'm with you on that. Fluency is a term used for someone who can express any thought near instantly in their means of doing so (for example, I can say I'm fluent on the piano as I can express any emotion instantly and reflect it with the music being played, though you'd have to be a musician to kinda understand that...)

But, like I said, you were justified in it, I would have done the same in your situation.

---------------------------
I offer free Japanese lessons on my home site here!

[Note: I am proficient in the language (even proficient enough to get hired at a university for teaching), but do not look to me before a native or someone more proficient, like Nagoyankee]
(#13 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-03-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khengi View Post
Oh, no, no, no! In no way do I feel you were being malicious, as I'm with you on that. Fluency is a term used for someone who can express any thought near instantly in their means of doing so (for example, I can say I'm fluent on the piano as I can express any emotion instantly and reflect it with the music being played, though you'd have to be a musician to kinda understand that...)

But, like I said, you were justified in it, I would have done the same in your situation.
We are in complete agreement, Khengi. High five!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Khengi (Offline)
JF Regular

07-03-2009, 01:22 AM

*high fives!*

Just to stay on topic, I'd like to name one of (in my opinon) the best guides on the internet to the language.

Tae Kim's Japanese guide to Japanese grammar

---------------------------
I offer free Japanese lessons on my home site here!

[Note: I am proficient in the language (even proficient enough to get hired at a university for teaching), but do not look to me before a native or someone more proficient, like Nagoyankee]