LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-05-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadragongurl View Post
I really can't agree with you there. In college, I was taught using Professor Jordan and Mari Noda's "Japanese: The Spoken Language" which was written entirely using romaji... of course we learned our written Japanese from the same authors' "Japanese: The Written Language". And students from our school were known to speak Japanese much better than those who used books like Genki. I will admit that I'm not very good at writing because of it, but I have to say that it taught us grammer well and it was only because our classes weren't focused on writing that I ended up not being good at writing.

In any case, I just don't think blanket statements like that are accurate. I'll just assume you were talking about the phrase books that don't teach you much of anything... >.>
I guess I should rephrase: be extremely wary of a course that uses solely romaji for more than a couple weeks. After that, you're preventing yourself from attaining a better grasp of the written language by still relying on romaji.

I can equally provide anecdotes that students at my school, where romaji was stricken from the classroom after the first week, frequently tested much higher than students at other schools when we went abroad. And we tested into higher level classes largely because our grasp of the written language was so much greater as to be equivalent many of the Chinese who had gone to study in Japan as well.

Of the thirty students while I was there, only four tested into level five (out of six, where level six was reserved for completely fluent students), and two of those four were from my university. That was, incidentally, 100% of the students from my university.

In any case, my point is that it's a waste of time to use romaji once you can write/read kana, and a book that forces you to keep using romaji is retarding your progress. I hope we can at least agree on that much.

Yes, I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement.

And, for the benefit of ThaDuke, romaji is Roman characters (A-Z).
(#12 (permalink))
Old
ThaDuke (Offline)
Lord Hades

08-05-2009, 07:45 PM

Thanks, guys. I knew I had known of that from somewhere.

It seems to me that it would greatly benefit you not relying on romaji when trying to learn Japanese. Sure it's a good way to start, but if you want to advance yourself you should learn hiragana. This way you are learning two things at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
..a book that forces you to keep using romaji is retarding your progress. .
Well said.

The Death and Resurrection

of a Dark Ruler
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
08-06-2009, 07:48 AM

I'm sure it's just for the first week, really. Like a young boy, or girl, starting a new grade and for the first week, easy stuff.

Yookoso is primarily hirigana and katakana, so there are no worries about there being none of that.

But, if anyone could give me tips on learning hirigana, that'd be great.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-06-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDuke View Post
Thanks, guys. I knew I had known of that from somewhere.

It seems to me that it would greatly benefit you not relying on romaji when trying to learn Japanese. Sure it's a good way to start, but if you want to advance yourself you should learn hiragana. This way you are learning two things at once.

Well said.
Your sig is actually good evidence that moving away from romaji is a good frigging idea. It's highly likely you have typed こんにちワ etc. because you spent way too much time reading it as "wa" in romaji.