JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
Youkoso text book - 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM

Taking Japanese in college during the Winter minimester. And, I already purchased my book so that I wouldn't have to worry about that. Anyway...

Point is... Has anyone heard of the textbook Yookoso? And if so, is it any good?

Thank you.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-23-2009, 04:45 PM

You should know by now not to title threads "Hey".

I taught Youkoso for several years, and I think it is an alright book. I have seen worse.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-24-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aota View Post
Taking Japanese in college during the Winter minimester. And, I already purchased my book so that I wouldn't have to worry about that. Anyway...

Point is... Has anyone heard of the textbook Yookoso? And if so, is it any good?

Thank you.
I used Yookoso for four semesters and turned out fine. I and my fellow classmates from my Stateside university tested higher when we went abroad than the students from schools that were using Minna, Genki, and such, for what it's worth. However, I credit that more with our superior teachers than superior textbooks.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ACW (Offline)
JF Regular

08-04-2009, 10:10 PM

It was good in the beginning but as we moved on it was getting pretty difficult. Explanations were on Japanese conversation were very short and confusing sometimes. Your going to hate informal Japanese hehe
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
08-05-2009, 07:15 AM

Yea, my bad on that, MMM. I guess I was a little tired when I posted this thread.

And, I read through on the first few chapters, and I then stumbled upon hirigana. And, I'm not gonna lie. I almost short circuited from that. I've never been taught hirigana, or kanji for that matter. All I, regretfully, know is romaji. Which isn't exactly bragging rights.

I hope I'll have enough basic knowledge for my four week trip over to Japan in a few years. :\

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

08-05-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aota View Post
Yea, my bad on that, MMM. I guess I was a little tired when I posted this thread.

And, I read through on the first few chapters, and I then stumbled upon hirigana. And, I'm not gonna lie. I almost short circuited from that. I've never been taught hirigana, or kanji for that matter. All I, regretfully, know is romaji. Which isn't exactly bragging rights.

I hope I'll have enough basic knowledge for my four week trip over to Japan in a few years. :\

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
You can learn hiragana in a day if you actually sit down for a few hours and practice. The same goes for katakana.

If a book teaches Japanese using romaji, it is a 100% shit* book. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

*Pardon my French.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
08-05-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
If a book teaches Japanese using romaji, it is a 100% shit* book. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

*Pardon my French.
I really can't agree with you there. In college, I was taught using Professor Jordan and Mari Noda's "Japanese: The Spoken Language" which was written entirely using romaji... of course we learned our written Japanese from the same authors' "Japanese: The Written Language". And students from our school were known to speak Japanese much better than those who used books like Genki. I will admit that I'm not very good at writing because of it, but I have to say that it taught us grammer well and it was only because our classes weren't focused on writing that I ended up not being good at writing.

In any case, I just don't think blanket statements like that are accurate. I'll just assume you were talking about the phrase books that don't teach you much of anything... >.>
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-05-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadragongurl View Post
I really can't agree with you there. In college, I was taught using Professor Jordan and Mari Noda's "Japanese: The Spoken Language" which was written entirely using romaji... of course we learned our written Japanese from the same authors' "Japanese: The Written Language". And students from our school were known to speak Japanese much better than those who used books like Genki. I will admit that I'm not very good at writing because of it, but I have to say that it taught us grammer well and it was only because our classes weren't focused on writing that I ended up not being good at writing.

In any case, I just don't think blanket statements like that are accurate. I'll just assume you were talking about the phrase books that don't teach you much of anything... >.>
I have to agree there. I used the same books to learn Japanese the first two years of study.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
ThaDuke (Offline)
Lord Hades

08-05-2009, 06:58 PM

What is Romaji? It seems like I should know this..

The Death and Resurrection

of a Dark Ruler
(#10 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
08-05-2009, 07:03 PM

romaji is Japanese written out using the 26 alphabetical letters instead of Japanese characters. For Example: "konnichiwa"

By the way, in your sig, you've used the actual "wa" character in "konnichiwa" when it should really be the character for "ha". Same goes for the "wa" after "watashi". So really it's "konnichiha watashi ha..."

Edit: I just want to clarify to ThaDuke that you have it phonetically correct. It's just that some of those "wa"s should be the particle "wa" (which is the same as the character for "ha").

Last edited by filiadragongurl : 08-05-2009 at 07:12 PM.