JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2009, 10:09 PM

Why is the first kanji in "空気" there? Because the Japanese word for "air" has always been written like that. It may help you if you simply think of the word "空気" as "air" and don't try to dissect it. Learn kanji compounds together as words, not as separate characters, and don't spend too much time worrying about why those particular kanji together have that meaning, otherwise you will get really bogged down.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

07-27-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
Uh, those actually do reflect the meaning.

You measure population by counting the number of mouths of people there are. In your second example, the kanji mean "to come" and "Japan."
Right, except it only makes sense if you make up an example or try and justify it. No one would ever come to the conclusion that 人口 would mean population if you told them that the first Kanji means person and the second means Mouth. Never.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruneru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Tsuruneru Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuruneru Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuruneru
07-27-2009, 11:30 PM

私は、ミートボールに襲われた一人の旅行者午前:d

I don't care what people say anymore. Your opinions no longer matter to me. No matter what i say no one cares they just keep going.
I have no enemies my opponent is my teacher.
(けとだ!) (こい) (とどめだ!) I Am Shadow The Hedgehog
(#14 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-28-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuruneru View Post
私は、ミートボールに襲われた一人の旅行者午前:d
BTW, that sentence doesn't make any sense.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.

Last edited by komitsuki : 07-28-2009 at 12:09 AM.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-28-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
No one would ever come to the conclusion that 人口 would mean population if you told them that the first Kanji means person and the second means Mouth. Never.
It makes sense if you associate 口 with its "modern" secondary meaning: an entity that an object would enter.

This is Chinese characters. Most of them have a primary meaning and bunch of secondary meanings.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-28-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
Right, except it only makes sense if you make up an example or try and justify it. No one would ever come to the conclusion that 人口 would mean population if you told them that the first Kanji means person and the second means Mouth. Never.
But that's not the issue. Someone said 人口 does not reflect the meaning, not that "the meaning is not obvious." I was arguing that it does reflect the meaning. I never once made an argument that it would be obvious to anyone what it meant. You're putting arguments in my mouth that I never made.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruneru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Tsuruneru Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuruneru Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuruneru
07-28-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
BTW, that sentence doesn't make any sense.
Thats kind of the point >_>

I don't care what people say anymore. Your opinions no longer matter to me. No matter what i say no one cares they just keep going.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
sarasi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Thats kind of the point >_>
Sorry, I don't get it either.

As for whether the kanji in 人口 reflect the meaning of "population" or not, that was the point I was trying to make with my above post. Don't worry about whether or not it is logical that that particular combination of kanji should have that particular meaning. Just accept that it does, and move on to the next word you have to learn.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Tsuruneru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2009, 06:50 AM

(I am a traveler who was seized with meatballs) Thats what it says, it was a joke from a random show, but in anther language it wouldn't be as funny. Confusing even.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
(I am a traveler who was seized with meatballs) Thats what it says, it was a joke from a random show, but in anther language it wouldn't be as funny. Confusing even.
No, it's not that your sentence is silly. It's that it's grammatically incorrect. There's no main verb. And for some reason you've included "a.m." in it.