JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Noka (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Noka
How to put kanji in your writing. - 07-26-2009, 05:52 PM

I don't understand how the whole kanji thing works... so I need a quick explanation or reassurance.

Like 'kuuki' (空気) for example.

I understand why the second kanji is there since it means 'mood.' But.. why is that first one there? Is all kanji written in resemblance to the Japanese word? I wouldn't know since I don't know what the first kanji means yet. X3 *learning her kanji from MyJapaneseCoach DS)

nihon no kuni to jinbun ga daisuki! O(≧∇≦)O
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-26-2009, 05:54 PM

The first one means "air, sky , open space"

air + mood = atmosphere.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Noka (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2009, 05:56 PM

Oh, so kanji is written in occurrence to the meaning of the word and the kanji. ^^

I was confused for a moment, huge writing systems with complicated letters frazzle my mind. l 3;

(#4 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-26-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noka View Post
I was confused for a moment, huge writing systems with complicated letters frazzle my mind. l 3;
There isn't much to be confused about kanji when people are very accustomed to Greco-Latin prefixes and suffixes; the closest analogy of kanji to English speakers.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Noka (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
There isn't much to be confused about kanji when people are very accustomed to Greco-Latin prefixes and suffixes; the closest analogy of kanji to English speakers.
Right.. just that I'm a very ditzy person, when I see or hear something that only looks/sounds complicated, I get dizzy in the head. X3;

(#6 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

07-26-2009, 06:16 PM

"Oh, so kanji is written in occurrence to the meaning of the word and the kanji. ^^"

Err... Not always.

人口 (Person, Mouth) = Population
来日 (Next, Day/Sun) = Arrival in Japan
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Noka (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2009, 06:18 PM

Oh yeah.. there isn't huh? Didn't think a lot before I posted.. sorry. ^^;

But, there are some strange kanji combinations... I've seen them on my DS game, thanks for reminding me. I'll make sure to memorize them though!

(#8 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-26-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noka View Post
I don't understand how the whole kanji thing works... so I need a quick explanation or reassurance.

Like 'kuuki' (空気) for example.

I understand why the second kanji is there since it means 'mood.' But.. why is that first one there? Is all kanji written in resemblance to the Japanese word? I wouldn't know since I don't know what the first kanji means yet. X3 *learning her kanji from MyJapaneseCoach DS)
Well crap. I had a very long, detailed explanation here but my browser crashed and I lost the entire thing and I don't have time to write it all again. Sorry.

However, Noka, being a native English speaker, you are already familiar with how Kanji work: Greek prefixes and suffixes.

No doubt you've seen words like "dinosaur" or "platypus" or "arachnophobia" or "democracy." Let me point out how these words work:

dinosaur = dino (terrible) + saurus (lizard) = terrible lizard
platypus = platys (flat) + pous (foot) = flat foot (duckbilled platypus has flat feet)
arachnophobia = arachno (spider) + phobos (fear) = fear of spiders
democracy = demos (people) + kratos (rule) = ruling by the people

See how it works? In English, we take Greek roots and combine them to make new English words. In the same way, most of the time you encounter multiple kanji together as one word, it will be in this same way: to take multiple Chinese characters (kanji) and make a new Japanese word (or borrow a Chinese word).

There are a few special differences, though:
1. pronunciation changes more drastically in the Japanese example than English example. For example, 分 is "wa" by itself but becomes "bun" in combination with others.

2. Not all the time does pronunciation when combined with kanji change (there are hintsin teh word, though, to clue you in). FOr example, in 使い分け, the 分 remains "wa" even though it's combined in a new word. The clue is that there are hiragana in the word, too. However, if you happen to see 自分, you can almost safely assume that it will have the "new" pronunciation of "bun" there with it.

3. There is a concept called "ateji," where kanji are used not for meaning but just for sound. A famous ateji is 寿司 (sushi), where neither kanji has any meaning related to food at all (life span + administration).

Don't worry about #3 at all for now, and you'll come to understand #1 and #2 more as you study. You don't need to know all this now to become a successful speaker. This is just an introduction so you can see how very fascinating this all is.

Plus, I think understanding that seemingly weird practices in one language also occur in your own language helps with learning. Here, the kanji don't seem so scary if your recognize that English already does something similar.

Note for advanced speakers and natives: Yes, I do recognize that kanji and my Greek example are in no way a perfect analogy.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Noka (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2009, 07:51 PM

Thanks so much KyleGoetz! *hug*
You too MMM, komitsuki, and jesselt. : 3

(#10 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

07-27-2009, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
"Oh, so kanji is written in occurrence to the meaning of the word and the kanji. ^^"

Err... Not always.

人口 (Person, Mouth) = Population
来日 (Next, Day/Sun) = Arrival in Japan
Uh, those actually do reflect the meaning.

You measure population by counting the number of mouths of people there are. In your second example, the kanji mean "to come" and "Japan."